Is Getzlaf a HOFer?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
One of the most underrated players in the NHL. So many people leave him out of the group of centers behind Sid, Mcjesus and Malkin when he should be ranked between 4-10 on every list imo. I see no logical reason except him playing in a small market for why people leave him out of the top 10. Puts up elite offensive numbers both in the reg season and the playoffs, solid defensively and controls the game like very few can when he is on his game.

When it comes to hhof? Almost ppg both in reg season and playoff, will have 1000+ points when his career is done if he doesnt get a career ending injury in the next couple of seasons. Two olympic goals, world championship, stanley cup, most assist in the playoffs (14/15 season). He should get in. He is almost on the same path as Jumbo was at this age, Jumbo a higher peek (and has a hart and art ross) but if Getzlaf keeps playing solid hockey, he should get in.

Last edited:

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
One of the most underrated players in the NHL. So many people leave him out of the group of centers behind Sid, Mcjesus and Malkin when he should be ranked between 4-10 on every list imo. I see no logical reason except him playing in a small market for why people leave him out of the top 10. Puts up elite offensive numbers both in the reg season and the playoffs, solid defensively and controls the game like very few can when he is on his game.

When it comes to hhof? Almost ppg both in reg season and playoff, will have 1000+ points when his career is done if he doesnt get a career ending injury in the next couple of seasons. Two olympic goals, world championship, stanley cup, most assist in the playoffs (14/15 season). He should get in. He is almost on the same path as Jumbo was at this age, Jumbo a higher peek (and has a hart and art ross) but if he keeps playing solid hockey and he should get in.

problem is his seasons are all over the place points wise

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I think he should get in if he keeps a respectable pace for a couple more seasons. Great hockey player with a unique skill set.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
39 points in 57g in his rookie year, 58p in 82g in his second season.
Rest of his seasons:
82p in 77 games-Over ppg
91p in 82g-Over ppg
69p in 66g-Over ppg
76p in 67g-Over ppg
57p in 82g-Under ppg
49p in 44g(lockout)-Over ppg
87p in 77g-Over ppg
70p in 77g-Under ppg
63p in 77g-Under ppg
73p in 74g-Under ppg
61p in 56g-Over ppg

How many players has been over ppg in 7 seasons since 2008? Not that many i would assume and he has performed at an elite level for a long time now. He has almost a career ppg. Higher career ppg than Tavares for example.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
I think so. Does anyone think team success should warrant personal hof etc. This isn’t basketball.

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
He's a hard one to figure out. I don't think he is one, but his point totals and production before 2014 were very good. Lately...he's been ok. Not bad, but he just in the shadows.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

His PPG has been between 0.9 and just over 1.1 every year since 2007-08 except 2011-12 which was a clear outlier.

In answer to the OP, so long as he has another 3 years where he averages 55-60 points he will have accumulated enough to get in. He’s going to retire as arguably the best forward in his draft class, will have over 1000 points, a hart nomination, a second place points finish, 2 Gold medals and a Stanley Cup to go along with other significant accomplishments.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he's definitely on the right path. if he plays at this level for a few more seasons i'd say he gets in

funny how getzlaf is the one likely to make the HOF yet it's perry who has the hart

Reactions: generalshepherd141

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I absolutely think so. How many players over the last decade have had the same level of production and success? Of those how many AREN’T HOF bound?

Sure his production has slowly decreased the past few seasons but barely and he’s still playing at a high level. Players generally decline as their career hits its back half, it’s natural and not something that should be held against guys but recency bias and “what have you done for me lately” seem to rule the day.

Edit: A poll would be good here. Would be interested to see the splits on this.

Edit2: Made one. https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/does-getzlaf-make-the-hhof.2522067/

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Wagers: 2