Is Franzen done for the year? Forever?

Octopus

May 17, 2006
What's the latest on the mule? is he skating again or is he done for the season? Despite his lapses and scoring droughts he'd be a nice addition at the trade deadline even if he isn't what he used to be. His big body wouldn't get pushed around as much as Larkin, Zetts, Dats, Tatar and Nyquist do. He'd be more useful than Jurco at this point. Let me know if you've heard anything. Thanks

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground

IMO: yes and yes. He's LTIRetired or should be at least, with his history another bad hit could have some serious consequences. That being I agree with your point that that we could use another big body up front. For example we were missing Cole and Franzen during the TB series last year if we had either of them during that time we probably would have won.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

IMO: yes and yes. He's LTIRetired or should be at least, with his history another bad hit could have some serious consequences. That being I agree with your point that that we could use another big body up front. For example we were missing Cole and Franzen during the TB series last year if we had either of them during that time we probably would have won.

One can never say this, both could have gone ice cold, or had defensive lapses and the series might have been over in 5 games.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Yes and yes. Although we may see him every training camp going through the charade of attempting a comeback, just to convince the NHL that its not cap circumvention (although Pronger etc don't bother with that)

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
One can never say this, both could have gone ice cold, or had defensive lapses and the series might have been over in 5 games.

Hard to argue that adding those two without subtracting anything wouldn't have boosted the team a good deal. And with such a tight series, it's not hard to imagine going the other way.

But back on topic, I would be legitimately shocked if he ever sets foot on NHL ice again. His brain cannot handle the routine physical abuse of NHL play anymore, I think that's been pretty conclusively demonstrated. Forget the NHL even, we've heard numerous reports of how the symptoms have been affecting him in his regular life (not being able to get out of bed, etc.).

I said the same thing before his final comeback attempt, it's more important that he focuses on his long term health now. There's a lot more to life than hockey.

Yes and yes. Although we may see him every training camp going through the charade of attempting a comeback, just to convince the NHL that its not cap circumvention (although Pronger etc don't bother with that)

The Pronger situation basically guarantees that the NHL can't do anything at all. If they tried to sanction the Wings, the Wings would have the easiest appeal of all time. "The NHL is punishing us for something that they have previously condoned by hiring Chris Pronger while he was still "officially" on an NHL player contract." I can't imagine the NHL having any appetite to even address this when the player is obviously done playing because of a legitimate injury.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Franzen hasn't really been a physical presence in a while. I'm sure his concussion issues had something, if not everything to do with it. He had a few good years, won a Cup, but he's done. All the best to him. Time to look forward and not dwell on what could have or should have been.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Hard to argue that adding those two without subtracting anything wouldn't have boosted the team a good deal. And with such a tight series, it's not hard to imagine going the other way.

But back on topic, I would be legitimately shocked if he ever sets foot on NHL ice again. His brain cannot handle the routine physical abuse of NHL play anymore, I think that's been pretty conclusively demonstrated. Forget the NHL even, we've heard numerous reports of how the symptoms have been affecting him in his regular life (not being able to get out of bed, etc.).

I said the same thing before his final comeback attempt, it's more important that he focuses on his long term health now. There's a lot more to life than hockey.

This I work in the VA and brain damage does horrible things to people.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yep. Don't know when he will call it though. He should have done it this year but played like 2 games

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I found this post on Reddit describing recapture penalties- https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/3ctmu2/the_cap_recapture_penalty_what_it_is_and_why_it/

Retirement is going to be severely discouraged for players who might cost a team $5m+ in cap space, and it's really no fault of their own.

I finally understand why the more knowledgeable members here have been complaining for years about penalties for occurrences such as retirement and the league's inflexibility regarding contracts signed before the newest CBA. Retirement is not cap circumvention!

Franzen's recapture seems less of a penalty than other high end players long term contracts. It should be up to him to retire. It would be a 1.5 million penalty against our cap this season if he retired and up to 2 for the next 5 years if he waits. Doesn't seem like a terrible amount if he does choose to retire. Any thoughts on this?

There's a lot I don't understand. I'm sure Franzen doesn't mind the money while on LTIR. But there must be downsides for the team. All I read was a 10% cap limitation during the offseason and the roster space take up by that injured player. What is best for the Wings organization? That Franzen stays on IR until the end of his contract?

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
It's too bad mule had such a short career. 6 years basically. 08-14. He was my favourite player :<

He was such a late bloomer which contributed to that I guess. I mean, he's 36, not exactly young. Lots of players retire at around that age.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
yes and hopefully

yes he is done for this year without question and yes hopefully he is done forever, not because i dont like him but rather the complete opposite in that i like him enough as a person that i dont want to see him as a vegetable

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I wrote off Franzen a long time ago in terms of his contribution to the team. That 2008 run was his finest hour and beyond that his contribution was marked by inconsistency and increasingly dubious effectiveness.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
This has probably been answered so I apologise for not searching, but what are the cap implications if Franzen is on LTIR for the rest of his contract? Does any of his contract affect the team's cap hit or is it completely "off the books"?

Trying to find a definitive answer but can't seem to get a confirmation. Some sources say yes LTIR means cap relief and some say a percentage is still counted.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah I've received plenty of pushback for suggesting Franzen should have been a compliance buyout and that he should never have been allowed to play this year. It's clear he has suffered significant head injuries and we have no idea what the long term prognosis is at this point, much less if he experienced another major head injury. The concussion history of guys in the NHL and NFL is not pretty.

Franzen has plenty of money and a family, if he isn't willing to do the right thing I sure as hell hope Holland will finally after two bad decisions make the right decision with regards to Franzen. He should never be allowed to face contact in a Red Wings sweater. Period.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I am wearing my winter classic Franzen shirt today. Man I miss the playoff part man/ part beast also known as the mule.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
This has probably been answered so I apologise for not searching, but what are the cap implications if Franzen is on LTIR for the rest of his contract? Does any of his contract affect the team's cap hit or is it completely "off the books"?

Trying to find a definitive answer but can't seem to get a confirmation. Some sources say yes LTIR means cap relief and some say a percentage is still counted.

The players cap hit is still counted, it never goes off the books.

From Hockey Cap:
Amount team can exceed the cap = Cap hit of LTIR player - Amount of cap space available

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Franzen's recapture seems less of a penalty than other high end players long term contracts. It should be up to him to retire. It would be a 1.5 million penalty against our cap this season if he retired and up to 2 for the next 5 years if he waits. Doesn't seem like a terrible amount if he does choose to retire. Any thoughts on this?

He can retire officially 5 years after.

There's a lot I don't understand. I'm sure Franzen doesn't mind the money while on LTIR. But there must be downsides for the team. All I read was a 10% cap limitation during the offseason and the roster space take up by that injured player. What is best for the Wings organization? That Franzen stays on IR until the end of his contract?

In LTIR way, only loss is money. Organization will need that cap space. So what rulebook says, Holland goes that way and Franzen accepts his employees wishes and gets the money.

Win-win-win situation. Brian Rafalski is the only known guy who left 6M on the table and retired early. That was really a gut move.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Has the wings organization made any public comment to the effect that he won't play again? I know they won't say the word 'retirement' but like Pronger have the acknowledge he will no longer play?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I always liked Mule, and never understood when people would take their frustration out with the team on him. He was a streaky sniper. When hot, he was really hot. When cold, he could be invisible.

Unfortunately, he shouldn't risk it anymore. He had a nice career with us, won a Cup, scored some big goals, but for his long term health he needs to call it quits.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Has the wings organization made any public comment to the effect that he won't play again? I know they won't say the word 'retirement' but like Pronger have the acknowledge he will no longer play?

They haven't said anything but everything points to the "Pronger"-route.

Stop worrying about this thing. :) Everything is fine. Mule will get his money, lives rest of his life hopefully well and we won't see a cap problem.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I remember getting a lot of flak earlier in the year saying that Franzen was done and should go to LTIR for his own well being. For some reason, people didn't take to well to that opinion

Well, look who was correct after all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad