Is everything okay in Columbus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I ask the question sincerely -- as a Preds fan that went through an ownership crisis and some lean attendance years, I'd hate to see something happen to the Blue Jackets. I know there's been whisperings of some ownership problems, and with the fifth highest payroll in the league, it's concerning to see that attendance for the last two games about 9000 last night and 8800 on Monday.

I know that they haven't given the fans much to cheer for over the past years, and it hasn't been a good start to the season, but I would have thought the "good faith" moves of trading for Carter and giving huge money to Wisniewski would convince some of the on-the-fence fans to stick it out a bit longer.

Is there cause for concern?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Woo. Thats' not good. 8000-9000 in attendance?. My understanding of the situation is that yes they seem to have sorted out their problems over the onerous Lease. Hope to have that all tucked away by December/January. Obviously the Jackets' on-ice performance (lack there-of) wouldve' left a lot of people apathetic, but still, those numbers are cause for concern.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Woo. Thats' not good. 8000-9000 in attendance?. My understanding of the situation is that yes they seem to have sorted out their problems over the onerous Lease situation & hope to have that tucked away by December/January. Obviously the Jackets' on-ice performance (lack there-of) wouldve' left a lot of people apathetic but still, those numbers are cause for concern.

OT: nice magritte avatar...one of my faves.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
It's entirely related to the on-ice product. Understand too that most natives of central Ohio either grew up as fans of the Cincinnati teams (who are awful every year) or the Cleveland teams (who are either awful, or contending only to lose in heartbreaking/crushing fashion). When paying NHL prices, to the average Ohioan, names on paper don't mean much...put it together on the ice, then we'll talk.

The moves of the offseason did cause a huge spike in partial season ticket packages; the most popular were the 6-game deals, which sold in the thousands. Neither of the last two games were in those, so....

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
OT: nice magritte avatar...one of my faves.

:) Son of Man. Pleased it put a smile on your face, I think, if I could see it...

When paying NHL prices, to the average Ohioan, names on paper don't mean much...put it together on the ice, then we'll talk.

9 years & the first 6 seasons under Doug MacLean followed by Howson and a revolving door of stellar 3rd & 4th liners like Sanderson playing on the 1st or 2nd without making it into the post season. Yepp, Welcome back to the NHL Ohio. Not quite the terrifying reincarnation of Mel Swig, the Gunds & the Barons, but close enough huh?. Wheres Harry Howell when you need him?.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Maybe (hopefully) if the CBJ gets placed into the Eastern conference next year, that will help.
1) It will help create a rivalry with a 'local' team
2) Fans do not have to stay up to 10pm to watch them play a conference rival.

Fehr Time*

Hmm, 8-9,000 in attendance, a poorly built team, and a high payroll. I think it is quite obvious that the team will be looking for more subsidies from the city by next year no doubt for their 'private' business.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
:) Son of Man. Pleased it put a smile on your face, I think, if I could see it...

9 years & the first 6 seasons under Doug MacLean followed by Howson and a revolving door of stellar 3rd & 4th liners like Sanderson playing on the 1st or 2nd without making it into the post season. Yepp, Welcome back to the NHL Ohio. Not quite the terrifying reincarnation of Mel Swig, the Gunds & the Barons, but close enough huh?. Wheres Harry Howell when you need him?.
That avator is so you Killion.

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
I wonder what the NHL could do to make sure all the teams make the playoffs at least once every 3 years, except perhaps the Leafs and Habs. :sarcasm:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
When there's an article on the ownership issues we can re-open/start-new thread.

As for attendance -- way too early in the season to be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad