Is Elias Pettersson out of his slump?

Is Elias Pettersson out of his slump?

• Total voters

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
gonna say no. beating up on ottawa is kinda meh. 13 games deep and he has 4g/8pts, 6 pts less than the dman who leads the team.

Vs teams that arent the sens he has 2g/4pts/-3 in 10 games

for a guy canucks fans seem to think is a top 5 C (he isnt) that isnt good

Reactions: Ghetty Green

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Not yet. 3 points against non Ottawa teams. He needs to step up quick or else he won't be expecting a huge pay day. He is also one of the players that is suppose to lead the team. Needs to step it up if we are to have a chance at the playoffs. Needs to play better.

Probably ‘cause he doesn’t have a brother who went 1st overall.

his bro got drafted much later :)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
He looked pretty good in the 3rd period vs the Habs. But the team was horrible. He looked speedy over all. Could this be more due to playing on a substandard team this season?

Don’t see how considering the canucks major losses in the off-season came from a defensive defensmen and a goalie...Toffoli too but don’t think EP really ever relied on him for offence. I just think maybe the expectations are too high, he’s really never broken out as one of the games best centres yet despite the media talking like he has.

he’s starting to prove he’s a franchise center but I mean there’s curves, it’s just a slump in sure. If there’s one year to take stats with a grain of salt I’d say it’s this year, unless it’s something major. But if something is a little high or a little low, it’s a weird year with no fans and same opponents.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I just think maybe the expectations are too high,

most of us already came to the conclusion that he will never be on Eichel or Matthews tier player as desperate as some leafs fans want to keep bringing that up as a weapon against Canucks. He is expected to be one of the leaders on our team offensively and this territory will come with any player with expectations of at least a 1st line player. However you could be right, however he did thrive in the playoffs for us last August so who knows. I personally wasn't expecting much outside of maybe another point per game pace honestly, but if he continues to not produce, that Jim Benning will actually negotiate his next contract against this years performance. We don't have a choice.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
most of us already came to the conclusion that he will never be on Eichel or Matthews tier player as desperate as some leafs fans want to keep bringing that up as a weapon against Canucks. He is expected to be one of the leaders on our team offensively and this territory will come with any player with expectations of at least a 1st line player. However you could be right, however he did thrive in the playoffs for us last August so who knows. I personally wasn't expecting much outside of maybe another point per game pace honestly, but if he continues to not produce, that Jim Benning will actually negotiate his next contract against this years performance. We don't have a choice.

actually I think he can get to that Matthews Eichel tier but I also don’t think we’ve seen even close from the best of those two eichel should be regular season no injuries a 100 pt player and Matthews same deal 50 goal scorer, 90-100,I think EP can get to wheee they’re at how wouldn’t say he’s that far off but I hear you, I think benning has bigger issues then EP

Last edited:

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Well the best I’ve seen from EP is actually better than the best I’ve seen from Matthews/Eichel however he’s been much more inconsistent. I still see glimpses of that truly elite upside but he’s a mystery box atm, I wouldn’t bank on anything.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Well the best I’ve seen from EP is actually better than the best I’ve seen from Matthews/Eichel however he’s been much more inconsistent. I still see glimpses of that truly elite upside but he’s a mystery box atm, I wouldn’t bank on anything.
Must have not seen much of Eichel and Matthews then tbh

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

don’t know how much Buffalo you’re watching and I don’t blame you if it hasn’t been much but take it from a sabres fan in BC, EP at his best doesent touch eich at his best during his league high 17 game point streak last year where he had 15 goals 16 assists 31 points plus twenty, five game winners and lost the streak due to him being ill. He also captained his team ahead of Tampa and Toronto at the time in early January and on Buffalo, all the while being number one in the enitre league in offensive possession,, his shot totals were high as were scoring chances forget those during this stretch, but he was also second in transition rushes and third in total o zone entries. So while I think ep can def get on this tier he’s not far off as it is, nah his highs literally haven’t come close to even looking as dominant because I literally watch Vancouver all the time, I know I may come off biased and EP has things even better at his game then jack but yeah, his highs haven’t been even close to the same dominance wise when he gets in the zone. It’s just that the media go nuts for it where as Buffalo on a losing team jack never got the press.

Last edited:

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Bro we are having some fun here. He is due for a monster game. He also hit the crossbar 5 times.

You must be a leafs fan. Only you guys put Matthews on the same tier with McDavid. :)
I think all sane people can swallow a conversation in which both are named as elite young C because it is self evident. Only people with unhealthy hostility to Matthews or the Leafs would be upset by this general statement. Your mischaracterization, as if he was saying they are equal, is a pretty dishonest spin on a harmless general statement.
If your intention was to make Leaf fans look bad...you failed. In fact you just gave another example of the constant irrational bullshit Leaf fans have to endure on HF.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
IMO Pettersson is way better than what we have seen this year but he isn't (or not there yet) in that elite franchise player tier.
Personally, I think there is something psychologically off with him. We forget they are human, he could have had his heart broken, lost a family member to COVID etc. I think its clear that Pettersson is not all there. I hope he can find his groove.
make a movie called How Elias got his groove back lol

Reactions: Subway Schenn

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
don’t know how much Buffalo you’re watching and I don’t blame you if it hasn’t been much but take it from a sabres fan in BC, EP at his beat doesent touch eich at his best during his league high 17 game point streak last year wherrr he had 15 goals 16 assists 31 points plus twenty, five game winners and lost the streak due to him being ill. He also had his team captained them ahead of Tampa and Toronto at the time in early January and on Buffalo, all the while being number one in the enitre league inn offensive possession, forget the cordon but that was amazing too, his shot totals were high as were scoring chances forget rose but during this stretch he was also second in transition rushes and third in total o zone entries. So while I think ep can def get on this tier he’s not far off as it is, nah his highs literally haven’t come close to even looking as dominant because I literally watch Vancouver all the time, I know I may come off biased and EP has things even better at his game then jack but yeah, his highs haven’t been even close to the same dominant wise when he gets in the zone. It’s just that the media go nuts for it where as Buffalo on a losing team jack never got the press.

Fully agreed!

EP is not on the same level as Eichel or Matthews. I am not sure why people want to push that agenda.

In saying that I do believe EP is way better than he is playing and will continue to get better.

But people also seem to forget that guys like Eichel and Matthews are not even close to what they will be which is scary.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Very underwhelming when he's not being carried by the superior player in J.T Miller.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
His "slump" also had 3 posts and 2 crossbars in it. Snakebitten vs regression or slumping. We know the points will come.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Very underwhelming when he's not being carried by the superior player in J.T Miller.
JT Miller is the straw that stirs the drink for the Canucks. As much hate as Benning gets (deservingly so), that JT Miller trade was an absolute steal.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

still think ROR is superior to Jack? Come on man Miller and ROR have arguments to their game but no GM if starting a franchise would take either of then over the latter. ROR fit like a glove to St. Louis but don’t forget that he was largely invisible for the first Three rounds (for a Conn smythe winner) just tore it up in the finals, earning the trophy. Petriangelo had what one or two less points as a dman, captain, more so sure by through four rounds and also scored the game seven Stanley cup winner, and binnington and Berube, without those two guys does ROR even get a chance to play in the playoffs because remember ROR didn’t change that team because he was their leading scorer in January when they were dead last before the two B’s turned their season around. I’m not taking anything away clearly the sabres got hosed and he’s an unbelievable two way center, but some of your tales are a little weird and always have to do with young centres for whatever reason and I think most people know why.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I'd say he's out. He can still be better but the actual slump is over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad