Is Dubnyk a top 5 goalie in the NHL?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Two years ago he was acquired by Minnesota after going nowhere and went on a tear. 3rd place finish for Vezina, and 4th place finish for Hart.

Amazing year.

But...who cares right? Goalies always get "hot" once in a while and have career years, doesn't make him a top 5 goalie. Last year his stats were average at best. Decent for a #1 goalie, but certainly not vezina worthy. Nobody would have called him a top 5 goalie in the world 2 years ago, nor last year. 1 good year doesn't "make" a goalie.

However this year...once again he's playing out of this world good.

1.66 GAA
.946 SV%
4 shutouts

Odds are he won't keep this pace all year, but 17 games in is still a pretty decent sample size. 2 out of 3 years isn't bad either.

Has he done enough to be considered a top 5 goalie in the NHL?

What would it take for him to be considered top 5 if you answer no. If he's top 3 Vezina finish again this year, would you be ready to call him a top 5 goalie?

As a habs fan I want to sing the praises of Carey Price and I keep seeing Dubnyk pacing/topping Price stat-wise, which is annoying :laugh: Curious to hear people's opinions on him

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I think it is in no particular order are the top 4

Rask
Price
Lundqvist
Schneider

Then #5 could really be anyone

Holtby
Bishop
Luongo
Crawford
Dubnyk
Etc

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This year he is, yes. The Wild haven't been playing as well as their record (sad, i know), but Dubnyk has been keeping them in games.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
This year he is, yes. The Wild haven't been playing as well as their record (sad, i know), but Dubnyk has been keeping them in games.

Wild have played much better than their record. Top 5 in Corsi and Goal differential. Part of that is Dubynk, but they should be higher in standings but have lost a bunch of close games.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Worth mentioning is that the Wild might have the NHLs best defensive roster. They have a true #1 dman and great depth on the blueline, plus a bunch of good two-way forwards in Koivu, Granlund, Haula, Staal, Parise, Nino etc.

I feel most Goalies would do well here. But Dubynk is really good and quite possible Top 5

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Dubnyk has carried the Wild throughout his time here. I've felt bad for him during this season because our team has, at times, played like such garbage in front of him. He's the reason the Wild have as many wins as they do.

So yes, he is a top 5 goalie.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I think it is in no particular order are the top 4

Rask
Price
Lundqvist
Schneider

Then #5 could really be anyone

Holtby
Bishop
Luongo
Crawford
Dubnyk
Etc

There is one goalie who created his own tier at the beginning of 2014.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If we cut out the first 5 years of his NHL career and the playoffs the last two years, then yes.

He's good, but he's not consistent enough to be in my top 5. He's well within my top 10 though.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I've always thought Dubnyk was good goalie since he was an Oiler.. But the thing was he played behind a pretty bad defence, but now he's in a system to succeed he's finally shining

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
No he isn't. We should stop jinxing. Jinxes don't exist they say, but what if they do..?

Better safe than sorry.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This season, yes. Overall, no.

I mean - of course this year. He's arguably #1 this year, or at least right there with Price/Rask. But I mean overall.

It's 2 out of 3 years he's in the top 5 (top 3).

What does he need to do for you to consider him a top 5 overall?

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
yeah he's got me eating crow. I remember that whiff he made early in the season with his glove on a soft goal. I posted on the Oilers board that it looks like the Duby we had known in Edmonton had come back to roost. Then he soon goes off and gets 3 shutouts and is having a Vezina calibre campaign.

Good on him! Im pulling for him to be a darkhorse candidate for the Vezina trophy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad