Is Drinking those Energy Drinks bad for you?

weezman

3 pages and only one mention of the key ingredient in energy drinks. Caffeine.

I drink them before games, because they have caffeine in them simmilar to a lot of NHL players will have coffee before games. As with all things, if you do them in excess (4 - 6 cans???) you will suffer from negative effects. Giving these things to kids is probably not a good idea either, even were they not playing in games.

However for an older guy taking the ice late at night after working all day, it's a little pick me up that sits in the stomach better than coffee. I haven't hit the wall so to speak but that's probably because I exercise off the ice and try to keep a reasonable diet. So I guess putting it that way and like posted earlier, taking care of yourself seems to be the best.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
In order to get ready for a game, I usually have a gatorade and listen to some pump up music. Liberate by Disturbed is what gets me going right now...but as for energy drinks, the crash is what keeps me away from them...

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
In order to get ready for a game, I usually have a gatorade and listen to some pump up music. Liberate by Disturbed is what gets me going right now...but as for energy drinks, the crash is what keeps me away from them...

Try "In and out of Grace" by Mudhoney. Works well for me.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004

That's why I switched to the vitiman water. Even afer a faced pace two hour session I would be awake for hours (I don't hit the ice until 11pm). One time as late as 4:45AM. Now, I am ready for bed shortly after I unpack my gear.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
Well I haven't played competitive hockey since hanging 'em up in the late nineties, but I'll tell you, when I'm at home and the buddies are in town, those shinny games can get really tough. We usually play from about 10 in the morning to around 10 at night, and man it gets rough. Thus, it's pretty good to get pumped up. Tried downloading In and out of Grace but couldn't find it. I'll keep it in mind though and try again. But the worst is sitting in the bar after the game and having the energy drink crash. Man do you feel the slashes after that!

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
My body actually metabolises caffeine rather effectively, in fact I've never felt negative effects from caffeinated beverages (no sleep depravation, increased heart rate or anything), and find the drinks kinda tasty.

I do realize they actually do have some negative side effects though, even if I don't seemingly get effected, still wouldn't push it.

One or two probably don't do too much damage if you're only doing it once a week or so though.

member 30781

I would go with Smirnoff or Grey Goose. They keep you going for hours.:yo:

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Found something new today at the campus bookstore. They're called SportBeans. Made by Jelly Belly, and essentially they're like Gatorade and PowerBar Gel in candy. Haven't had them yet, but will when I got my game in a day. Not quite an energy drink...but seems interesting.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Way too much sugar in those things. Sure, it will give you a momentary high (that's what sugar does), but it drags you down shortly afterwards. No, not particularly good for you. Nothing filled with sugar is.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Ate those SportBeans before the game...I honestly felt good, really didn't tire as much down towards the end of the game as I usually do when we got a short bench. Didn't feel too much of a let down either...and considering I didn't have time to do a pre game meal this week...those things along with a granola bar did the trick for me this time around

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I was drinking the Red Bull, Monster, Rock Star, etc.....energy drinks over the summer. What I noticed was that my pee turned a neon green from drinking them. I knew that that couldn't be good and stopped drinking them after that.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad