Is Dmitri Orlov flying under the radar?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
When I first saw this guy at the U-18´s in 2009, I thought to myself This guy does not look a day under the age of 25. He was a little bit of a loose cannon out there, but he had tons of skill and speed to burn. He looked like he was going to be a special defenseman.

When the Washington Capitals snapped him up in the 2nd Round, #55, in the 2009 Entry draft, my logical assumption was that they were getting a steal: I was thinking that he would have gone higher if there wasn´t such an aversion against Russian players that year (he was the 2nd Russian-born player taken, after Kulikov... who also slipped a little). Also, he was playing in the KHL in his draft year, which had to be a good sign as well.

I watched him at the WJC´s last year, and again, I just couldn´t help but notice his skill, speed, and dashing rushes everytime he stepped on the ice.

Now, in his third year in the KHL, he is putting up great numbers for a young defenseman: 8 points in 18 games, for Novokuznetsk Metallurg of the KHL. These numbers are all the more impressive when you stop to notice that his team is horrible and that he is the 3rd leading scorer on his team (top player on the team has 11 points)

Here are his stats:

2007-2008 Metallurg Novokuznetsk-2 Russia3 - - - - - |
Metallurg Novokuznetsk RSL 6 0 0 0 0 |
Russia U18 WJC-18 6 0 1 1 0 |
Russia U17 WHC-17 5 2 7 9 6 |
2008-2009 Metallurg Novokuznetsk-2 Russia3 - - - - - |
Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 16 1 0 1 4 |
Russia U18 WJC-18 7 2 2 4 6 |
2009-2010 Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 41 4 3 7 49 |
Kuznetskie Medvedi MHL 7 7 6 13 6 | Playoffs 17 9 10 19 26
Russia U20 WJC-20 6 0 4 4 4 |
2010-2011 Metallurg Novokuznetsk KHL 18 2 6 8 31 |

Anyhow, I just wanted to give a heads up to any of you who have not really heard much about Orlov because he should be competing in the upcoming WJC´s in Buffalo and I, at least, am VERY excited to see what he can bring to the table this year.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
The Caps aren't going to get him across the pond until at least 2012 though.

But he does indeed look like an interesting prospect.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Who? Please tell me more if you can.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/dmitri_orlov

Here we see that he played for the Russian U-18 team twice. The first time it seems he was an underager as a 16 year old. I believe that is a very seldom occurance? The second time he was of normal age as a 17 year old and finished the tournament with 9 points in 6 games as well as top Dman I believe.

Ranked 9th by Central Scouting (Europeans) before the 2009 Draft.

Made his debut in the KHL as a 16 year old.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34990-Prospect-Watch-Dmitri-Orlov.html

Interview with the Hockey News post-draft. Says he´s crossing the pond next season.

Two favorite players are Bobby Orr and Kirill Koltsov haha

Very excited to be a member of the Capitals because of the Russian factor. Has now attended two training camps.

http://www.russianprospects.com/public/profile.php?player_id=681

Highly regarded for his age group in Russia. Very offensive defenseman. Small and stocky. Drafted to the QMJHL Patrick Roy´s Quebec Remparts - who were unable to pursuade him to cross the pond.

Some very small tidbits of him on youtube: althought they don´t show too much - except for great skating ability. There are a couple others on youtube as well, but i am a little lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFdTYVPVNvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQPBt_Hgm70

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
Kid going to rip up this season....

images

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Those are very good numbers for the KHL, in particular given your point on where that relates to overall team scoring. I heard he struggled a bit at one point early this year. It should also be noted that he was absolutely dominant in the MHL when he was sent down after his KHL team was eliminated (I believe last year).

He is also quite physical for his size and should adapt to NA pretty well (relatively speaking). Upside of a Markov, I'd say. Downside is two years in NA and doesn't make the Caps (who are pretty deep on D), and decides to head home and be a dominant player domestically. Still, being with the Caps helps, as they have several Russians, including some in the AHL, so he might be more patient.

Should be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The only issue was thought to be his interest in the NHL after settling in well in the KHL, finding a nice niche for himself, and potentially getting a healthy payday. Caps fans were cautiously optimistic, and then very encouraged when he affirmed (I believe this Spring or Summer) that he remained interested in coming over next season. The Caps' Russian factor certainly helped in that regard. Fans are excited to see him make the transition in due time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
the caps are in no hurry anyway. they are working john carlson in this season and karl alzner. realistically speaking the caps dont have room for another rookie right now no matter how good he might be.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Orlov hasn't exactly been a defensive rock when attending camps with the Caps, and that can be a concern for a team that already has Green and Carlson. Not that he's a bad prospect, but I wonder if he's redundant with the Caps' strength in PMD.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If by "at least 2012" you mean "this spring after his KHL season", then yeah, I agree with you.
Yeah, we'll see if that actually comes to pass (him and Kuznetsov both). Would be nice.

His conditioning has to get better, first and foremost. From what I've seen it hampers the crispness of his game when he's heavily relied upon. That and improving his defensive play will be essential.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Yeah, we'll see if that actually comes to pass (him and Kuznetsov both). Would be nice.

His conditioning has to get better, first and foremost. From what I've seen it hampers the crispness of his game when he's heavily relied upon. That and improving his defensive play will be essential.

Well, I'd rather go by something the player has actually said, rather than baseless speculation based on his nationality.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
He is actually under contract until then so it's not entirely baseless. Depends on whether he can manage to buy out that final season or not.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
He is actually under contract until then so it's not entirely baseless. Depends on whether he can manage to buy out that final season or not.

Exactly.

Since there is no transfer agreement between the NHL and the KHL, fans should always expect a player to stay in Russia until his current contract runs out.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Thought this might be a nice time to bump this thread: Orlov is currently 3rd in the entire WJC´s in points after the round robins.

Admittedly, I didn´t get to much of his games in the WJC´s. Does anyone have an update on how he´s actually playing? Against Canada I thought he was pretty good: I really liked that he is a big hitter.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Judging Orlov's game at this WJC is not an easy task. He's producing, but mostly thanks to the games against the Czechs and Norway.
He displayed great puck skills and a very strong shot, but imho he looked really good only with weak opposition and/or the closest opposition player at not less than 10 feet. He also didn't show much in the own zone, he's often outmuscled or outpositioned, especially in the two games against Canada and Sweden. He has some serious potential because of his undeniable puck skills, skating and overall ice vision, but he sure needs to improve his defensive play and presence. He can hit, but a couple of big hits don't do a good defenseman. Positioning, covering and shadowing do and he has to work on that.

Besides, I had an interview with him this August, he said that he should cross the pond this year: http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34990-Prospect-Watch-Dmitri-Orlov.html

mikeymike79

Sep 21, 2005
Just named to the all-star team as well. One of 2 Russians (the other is Washington's other prospect - Kuznetsov)

mikeymike79

Sep 21, 2005
If you guys are part of pools, there is pretty good chance he is still available. I just picked him up for mine..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad