Podcast (Audio) Is Detroit the worst team of the salary-cap era?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
If the Wings get shafted with #4OA, I hope they get a decent with that pick obviously and the consolation is Yzerman:

A. landing a Kucherov, Point or even a Cirelli with one of their 4 (or more depending on the TDL) picks that will fall between 32OA and 94OA
B. hitting a home run on an undrafted free agent like a Johnson or Gourde
C. striking gold on some kind of Drouin for Sergachev trade but with AA
D. Any combination or all of A, B and C

Reactions: Retire91

2xJack

Apr 19, 2019
There's no doubt in my mind, this Wings team is definitely the worst roster of the cap era. I haven't seen hockey this bad in a truly long time. I'm talking decades, back to the early 1990s when Ottawa and San Jose were expansion teams. They both had absolutely miserable second seasons, and Ottawa was brutal their first year winning only 1 road game the entire season. This Wings team is at least not as bad as those teams were.

If you go to hockey-reference and look at their projection, the Wings are the only NHL team with a 0% playoff chance. In 1000 simulations, we finish with between 84 and 41 points. We're projecting for 60.8 points. I'm thinking 60 points may be a tad high, but we'll see.

Thanks Edmonton!

The Penguins should get a lot of the credit, too. They did it first.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Performance wise, I think this team has been worse than the 85-86 Wings. I don't believe our roster is significantly worse than Ottawa's. Yet they are competitive. We are a disaster.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
If the Wings get shafted with #4OA, I hope they get a decent with that pick obviously and the consolation is Yzerman:

A. landing a Kucherov, Point or even a Cirelli with one of their 4 (or more depending on the TDL) picks that will fall between 32OA and 94OA
B. hitting a home run on an undrafted free agent like a Johnson or Gourde
C. striking gold on some kind of Drouin for Sergachev trade but with AA
D. Any combination or all of A, B and C

How is 4th overall getting shafted?

4th overall is the pick you are guaranteed coming in 31st in the standings.

Picks #1, #2, #3 are lottery picks.

Ending last DOES NOT ENTITLE YOU TO PICK #1, #2, OR #3!

Ending last entitles you to pick #4.

Reactions: Retire91

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
How is 4th overall getting shafted?

4th overall is the pick you are guaranteed coming in 31st in the standings.

Picks #1, #2, #3 are lottery picks.

Ending last DOES NOT ENTITLE YOU TO PICK #1, #2, OR #3!

Ending last entitles you to pick #4.

Thanks, yea I know that. You can calm down now.

I think most here would be disappointed if the team pacing for not even 50pts doesn't get any luck outside of the pick they're entitled to. That's kind where I was going with the whole "shafted" thing. Hopefully your blood pressure decreases now.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am not too worried about the lottery a top 5 pick would be huge. If you look historically those guys usually step into the NHL the year they are drafted or maybe the next. That will be immediate help from almost any slot in the top 5. I mean I hope we get in the top 2 because 1 and 2 are usually a tier above the draft but 3,4,5 would be huge. We have not had a top 5 pick since 1990. We have only picked top 5 thirteen times in our whole history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad