Podcast (Audio) Is Detroit the worst team of the salary-cap era?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I did not expect Detroit to be this bad. I was saying before the season started that I expect Detroit to be slightly better than last season. I am sure injuries play a big part of this... but this sure isn't a record I want to break. And if Detroit doesn't get the #1 pick this upcoming draft, then it will feel like a complete criminal injustice.

"It's one thing to tank, but Detroit has been a new level of bad. The Red Wings have dropped 11 straight games with a minus[-62] goal differential. Is this the worst team of the salary-cap era?"

Free content - no pay wall!
Just how bad are the Detroit Red Wings this season? - TheHockeyNews

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I thought for sure this team was going to take a step forward this year compared to last. I honestly thought last year was going to be our worst from the rebuild. Boy was I wrong. I honestly think a coaching change would be a step in the right direction as it doesn't seem the boys are progressing with Blashill.

Reactions: lilidk

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I can't say I expected the team to be this bad, but I am certainly not surprised or shocked to see it. I think what we learned is that the team massively overachieved last season.

ghjghjjggjfgj.jpg

610x23.jpg

Untitled.png

Last edited:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Get ready for injustice. If you finished dead last 10 straight years, you'll end up with the #1 pick maybe 1 or 2 of those years. Maybe. Two would actually be above the odds.

yeah we'll see what happens with the rest of the Wings season but right now the two worst post cap teams are probably the 14-15 Sabres and the 16-17 Avs neither of which picked 1st(that Avs team didn't even pick top 3)

doesn't mean you can't still get a good player though they did still end up with Eichel/Makar

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That Avs-season was extremely funny.

Joe Sakic was said to be worst GM in hockey.
- Jared Bednar was said to be worst coach in hockey
- Team with no depth suffered many injuries and that hurt a lot and make the season from bad to abysmal.
- MacKinnon looked toally bad. People were talking about a bust.
- People were celebrating after losses. Tank for a high pick!
- Same time they were whining about Sakic and Bednar. How can team be this bad?
- Tank celebrating people were devastated when they got only 4th overall in the lottery after their "sacrifise" of an abysmal season.
- Sakic got even more rage.

Outcome:
- Sakic probably drafted the best player from the draft and possible best future NHL defenceman.
- Bednar is shining after getting better player material from free agency and more depth from formerly drafted player core which were developing in the minors.
- Sakic had also bolstered the roster via smart trades.
- MacKinnon looks absolutely great in a deep team and with better linemates. Is fresher after less icetime. Motivated every night.
- Current injuries won't hurt thanks to great depth in team with the same coach, which once was determined worst in NHL.

Doesn't sound familiar?

That could be like our fan base now and after 3 seasons in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc and Ricelund

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That Avs-season was extremely funny.

Joe Sakic was said to be worst GM in hockey.
- Jared Bednar was said to be worst coach in hockey
- Team with no depth suffered many injuries and that hurt a lot and make the season from bad to abysmal.
- MacKinnon looked toally bad.
- People were celebrating about losses
- Same time they were whining about Sakic and Bednar
- Tank celebrating people were devastated when they got only 4th overall in the lottery after their "sacrifise" of an abysmal season.
- Sakic got even more rage

Outcome:
- Sakic probably drafted the best player from the draft and possible best future NHL defenceman.
- Bednar is shining after getting better player material from free agency and more depth from formerly drafted player core.
- Sakic had also bolstered the roster via smart trades.
- MacKinnon looks absolutely great in a deep team.
- Current injuries won't hurt thanks to great depth in team with the same coach, which once was determined worst in NHL.

Doesn't sound familiar?

That could be like our fan base now and after 3 seasons in the future.

except Blashill isn't a rookie coach(he's actually one of the longest tenured coaches in the league) and this Wings team is on pace to have a goal differential of almost 50 goals worse

oh and the Wings don't have a 21 year old former 1st overall or a 23 year old former 2nd overall or a 25 year old former 3rd overall or another top 10 guy in Rantanen putting up a 20 goal rookie season on an awful team

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I can't say I expected the team to be this bad, but I am certainly not surprised or shocked to see it. I think what we learned is that the team massively overachieved last season.

ghjghjjggjfgj.jpg

610x23.jpg

Untitled.png
Am I the only one that doesn't get this picture?

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don’t care if we get the first pick. I desperately want to finish in last place to guarantee 4th at worst, which guarantees stutzle. That kid is going to be special. He’s under rated just like Seider because he’s on the same team Seider was. I think scouts have trouble evaluating the DEL

Reactions: Realgud

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don’t care if we get the first pick. I desperately want to finish in last place to guarantee 4th at worst, which guarantees stutzle. That kid is going to be special. He’s under rated just like Seider because he’s on the same team Seider was. I think scouts have trouble evaluating the DEL

Anything less than Alexis Lafrenière will be a disappointment to me. Despite getting the consolation prize after all this suffering.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
yeah we'll see what happens with the rest of the Wings season but right now the two worst post cap teams are probably the 14-15 Sabres and the 16-17 Avs neither of which picked 1st(that Avs team didn't even pick top 3)

doesn't mean you can't still get a good player though they did still end up with Eichel/Makar

They didn't get the top pick that particular year, but Colorado is still kicking around with 2nd overall Landeskog and 1st overall MacKinnon. So with their current roster, they definitely are benefiting from a number 1 overall pick. The #1 overall pick is their best player, no surprise.

Eichel is a #1 overall in virtually every draft except the McDavid draft. Sort of like how Malkin was #2 due to Ovechkin.

What I'm saying is, the Wings need to get lucky. They need a #1. Or a #2 in a generational draft. Or just pray the other teams somehow flub the top few picks and we get an Elias Pettersson that slides. The frustrating part is so little of that is within the Wings control. You're either getting lucky with lottery balls or getting lucky other teams don't take your guy.

Reactions: Winger98

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It sucks, it sucks more than it should but the sucking is effective. We wanted to suck but be entertaining, well they are the best at sucking this year.

If anything this really helps temper expectations for the next year or two. I'll admit watching the top line, light up the league end of last year/start of this season, really got my hopes up we had a top 10-15 line in hockey and that alone would make us fun to watch. The league woke up, and teams started to play and we were quickly figured out. Next year, likely not much changes.. I doubt it will be this bad, but a bottom 5 finish is a very real possibility. Playoffs could still be close to 5 years away, this is year 1 of the Yzerman rebuild. Holland's last few years of sucking may have produced nothing Yzerman wants, and many of those pieces could be moved out for futures. All we can hope for is glimpses of hope, lottery luck, surprise player development and some fun hockey.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
This team is gonna be just as bad next season....

I don't know. Let's say one or a few of Ras, Veleno, Seider, Svech, Zadina etc. come in and help. Plus we dump some of the non- producing guys Neilson Ehn Abdelkader etc etc etc. We get lucky and pick a Byfield or Lafreneire. And we could possibly go from bad to mediocre. This team has a long way to go obviously, but it could/should improve a bit next year.
I know it's hard to be positive at the moment in the middle of our season of discontent but I have some faith we will have bottomed out this season and at least be more "watchable" next season.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Are we sure about that? I think this roster is one of the worst I've ever seen. You're talking about top 4 D that would struggle to find jobs on bottom pairings of good teams. Goalies that are AHL fodder. A singular scoring line that can't stay healthy.

The worst non-expansion team I can remember was the early 2000s Penguins, but I think they were the last season before the lockout IIRC. They had a truly awful AHL level roster - Dick Tarnstrom was their top scorer, they had no-one of the quality of Larkin or Mantha.......and we're on course to have a worse record than they did.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That 14/15 Sabres team was pretty bad. Ted Nolan deserves credit for getting that team to show up and work every day.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I wish they would commit more to the youth. Let the kids develop in the bigs its sink or swim time. We are going to be last anyway. Let's see if the kids can figure it out, and if they can't we know what we've got. If they produce then you know you got a serious keeper being able to have success under these conditions. I get a little upset seeing the kids sent down. Get them in the game. If they can't show individual talent to contribute then they are probably just a replaceable depth player anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad