Helene St. James Is Detroit Still a Desirable Destination?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
@ArthurJRegner
Red Wings confused by today's outcome. Offered more to Niskanen, Boyle and Ehrhoff than they signed for (money and term) exploring trades.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 59s Wings offered Dan Boyle three years at $12.5 million ($5M, $5M and $2.5M) but he took two years, $9 million from Rangers.

That's $4.167 MM AAV for three.

Rangers: 2 yrs, $4.5 MM AAV

Net of $3.5 MM more from the Wings, and one extra year. :(

Boyle is very good friends with Martin St. Louis...that probably factored in greatly when he made his decision.

They also just made it to the Cup finals.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yeah. Ask Flip, Hudler, Mule, Tatar etc. How they feel about playing for Babcock.

Mule? The guy that everybody here dogs constantly for effort but he always gets top PP time and guaranteed top 6 minutes?

Which narrative am I supposed to believe? That Mule should hate Babcock or that he's getting a free ride?

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Tampa, Toronto and Florida?

Up-and-coming teams.

I think players see our aging core, the lack of blue-chip prospects (yes we have some nice pieces but no MacKinnon), and know a full on rebuild is coming with Datsyuk's retirement, plus the coaching situation is uncertain.

I don't think the Devellano lockout comments helped our brand perception either.

lilja4mvp*

this snowball all started with holland's initial lowball to suter.

we'll never know what might have happened if holland had actually submitted a competitive offer before things got desperate.

thanks, kenny!

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Today sucked, but I dunno, I don't think this is something we can properly measure on aggregate. I don't think today's results conclude one way or another of how desirable it is to play in Detroit. It just seems like an overreaction. I mean, obviously we don't have the pull we did when we were President Trophy winners, but that's just the nature of Sports.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Up-and-coming teams.

Toronto hasn't landed any significant UFAs. And the one they did, Clarkson, is a disaster on ice.

Florida has been "up and coming" for 15 years. Today they signed a bunch of bloated deals to hit the cap floor.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If im not misstaken, Detroit is a violent town with a lot of foreigners. A little bit like Malmo.

Maybe thats why.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think players see our aging core, the lack of blue-chip prospects (yes we have some nice pieces but no MacKinnon), and know a full on rebuild is coming with Datsyuk's retirement, plus the coaching situation is uncertain.

Basically.

The team is a lot younger and drafting well and is still a playoff contender. But they don't have the high end picks to really entice people.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Yeah. Ask Flip, Hudler, Mule, Tatar etc. How they feel about playing for Babcock.

Shanny left after his first year under Babs.

If im not misstaken, Detroit is a violent town with a lot of foreigners. A little bit like Malmo.

Maybe thats why.

No, not really.

At no one in particular, we can dissect these one by one all you want, but in aggregate, Detroit is offering more money and term and getting turned down by everyone they target.

I guess Holland is going to have to talk to some player agents and get some feedback.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Maybe thats why.

Chicago is often referred to as Chiraq, it doesn't hurt their ability to attract guys.

The cities perception has probably played into some players decisions, just as having friends on other teams plays into it, family and all kinds of other things factor into players decisions as well.

I don't buy the narrative that because we struck out today that nobody wants to play here. Maybe we're no longer quite the draw we were when playing for the cup every year, but we still have the ability to attract guys. We just didn't have the ability to attract the ones we tried to get today.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

we'll never know what might have happened if holland had actually submitted a competitive offer before things got desperate.

thanks, kenny!

Maybe it wouldn't have changed things but if Holland had given the offer he got from Minny and said take it or leave it by today maybe he'd have signed. If I remember correctly they went back and forth and Minny was able to up their offer, that and Parise in his ear. Who knows

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Chicago is often referred to as Chiraq, it doesn't hurt their ability to attract guys.

The cities perception has probably played into some players decisions, just as having friends on other teams plays into it, family and all kinds of other things factor into players decisions as well.

I don't buy the narrative that because we struck out today that nobody wants to play here. Maybe we're no longer quite the draw we were when playing for the cup every year, but we still have the ability to attract guys. We just didn't have the ability to attract the ones we tried to get today.

Are players turning NJD down due to their arena location?

The Wings are getting a new building, and as everyone has mentioned, the players live in some really nice areas, ritzy. It's a metro area of nearly 5 million. Detroit, the city doesn't even have a million inhabitants left. You just go there for the practices and games.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Depressing. But players are finally realizing that this team is average and has the potential to get even worse. We have some great prospects but you have to doubt any will reach Z/D potential.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013

We haven't had that ability in years.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Good post in the free agency thread-- the Tigers don't have trouble attracting free agents they want.

Do the Lions?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

thanks, kenny!

This is revisionist history.

1. The Wings made a competitive offer to Suter.

2. Media on July 1st implied Suter was a done deal.

3. The Wings were never given a chance to counter Minnesota's offer.

People really don't understand that no matter what team you are, free agency can be a crapshoot.

Good post in the free agency thread-- the Tigers don't have trouble attracting free agents they want.

Do the Lions?

The Tigers don't have a salary cap. Also how many great free agents to they acquire anyway?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
We got a career captain of somethingteen years to jump ship just a year ago. Sure, Melnyk and the Sens have a bad rep as being cheap, sure. Fair point. Until this happens again (meaning: try and fail at numerous players, and hearing reports that we offered more lucrative deals) I won't lose too much sleep over it. We probably still sign guys tonight/ tomorrow/ this week anyway. So we missed a couple big fish one year. We missed Suter, too. It happens.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Today sucked, but I dunno, I don't think this is something we can properly measure on aggregate. I don't think today's results conclude one way or another of how desirable it is to play in Detroit. It just seems like an overreaction. I mean, obviously we don't have the pull we did when we were President Trophy winners, but that's just the nature of Sports.
Agreed. It's definitely an overreaction, but there's also no big reason to pick us before a lot of other teams because lately we've barely made the playoffs and not really had any deep runs.

We either need to trade to improve or hope that some of our kids take huge leaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad