NFL: Is Derrick Henry the best pure runner in the league right now?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This guy blows me away when I watch him. It's like he's a freight train with the ball in his hands. Such a physical runner but combines it with deadly breakaway speed. He hasn't been in the most favorable position with the Titans with an inept passing game, and sharing the backfield with Murray for years before recently, but he's really taking off since the end of last year.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Talking strictly carries then probably

Him being a free agent is interesting. I was not aware of that

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I mean, he's finally getting unleashed, but maybe it's because the Titans have no intention on re-signing him?

His carries/touches aren't up considerably though. He's being "unleashed" because the Titans have a passing game now, not because he's getting run into the ground (or at least, not anymore than usual). I'd be real surprised if DH isn't the Titans main priority heading into the off-season, their whole game plan is based around setting up the run.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I agree as a poweback he is ridiculous fast and can cut like a small elusive back. Been following him since college and he just keeps getting better. After this season he is easily in the top 5 discussion for me.

Reactions: Channelcat

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Probably the strongest at his position given his size, the guys like a 6'6 running back. But i still take guys like Zeke, Cmac, Cook, even Aaron Jones over him. Overall and as a pure runner. Henry is slow as HELL but the guys a tank.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Slow? He ran the 40 in 4.54 seconds. Cook 4.49 Elliot was 4.47 mcaff 4.49 and A jones at 4.54. He is plenty fast. May look slower due to size as his strides are long.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I know it isn't the question, but I'd take Karama over him. In today's game, having a dynamic back that can run routes and catch out of the backfield is more valuable. It changes the dynamics of your offense way more than lining up in I formation and playing smashmouth football. Although this has been a nice throwback to watch unfold and I've been enjoying it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I know it isn't the question, but I'd take Karama over him. In today's game, having a dynamic back that can run routes and catch out of the backfield is more valuable. It changes the dynamics of your offense way more than lining up in I formation and playing smashmouth football. Although this has been a nice throwback to watch unfold and I've been enjoying it.
It can still be just as effective overall even if a dual-threat back is more dynamic and versatile. Having a smashmouth back like Henry makes it so much easier to open up legitimate opportunities downfield off of play-action.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It can still be just as effective overall even if a dual-threat back is more dynamic and versatile. Having a smashmouth back like Henry makes it so much easier to open up legitimate opportunities downfield off of play-action.

As a KC fan I'm imagining Henry there and how much he would open up things for Mahomes. Now I miss Kareem Hunt. Thanks a lot.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
He's incredible. He looks like he's running in slow-motion, but he just keeps breaking away from defenders. How a guy that big can be that fast is beyond me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad