Player Discussion: Is Declan Chisholm a future Jet? Turns out, no, he isn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
With all the current talk about if the current defenseman are blocking our near ready prospects I'd thought I'd ask people's opinion on Declan Chisholm. In my eyes he has been an under the radar prospect that has grown his game to the point where he will either be a Jet next season or in the NHL someplace else, as he is now in the last year of his ELC.

In 2018 he was a 5th round selection after a 0.43 PPG season in junior. The Jets scouts must have seen something, as those are not necessarily the numbers that get you drafted. His D+1 season he posted a 0.72 PPG, followed by a 1.17 PPG in his final year of junior. Then off to the Moose where in his 1st season he had a 0.46 PPG, and then last season he was at 0.57 PPG and getting a bigger role. This season he appears in my eyes to be the best D-Man on the Moose and is a top pairing1.00 PPG player to start the season.

The kid skates and passes well and has decent NHL size at 6.1 and somewhere in the ballpark of 200 LBS.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
With all the current talk about if the current defenseman are blocking our near ready prospects I'd thought I'd ask people's opinion on Declan Chisholm. In my eyes he has been an under the radar prospect that has grown his game to the point where he will either be a Jet next season or in the NHL someplace else, as he is now in the last year of his ELC.

In 2018 he was a 5th round selection after a 0.43 PPG season in junior. The Jets scouts must have seen something, as those are not necessarily the numbers that get you drafted. His D+1 season he posted a 0.72 PPG, followed by a 1.17 PPG in his final year of junior. Then off to the Moose where in his 1st season he had a 0.46 PPG, and then last season he was at 0.57 PPG and getting a bigger role. This season he appears in my eyes to be the best D-Man on the Moose and is a top pairing1.00 PPG player to start the season.

The kid skates and passes well and has decent NHL size at 6.1 and somewhere in the ballpark of 200 LBS.
I think he has a decent chance to make this roster in the next year if the Jets clear out some D men this year or the following if they stand pat for the playoff drive that may or may not happen.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He really is the exact type of dmen Bowness is likely looking for in terms of offense from the dmen. Skates real well and smartly jumps into the play. He plays a very direct game and is faiy predictable in what he'll do ala a JoMo. Big shot and is good at facilitating sustained offensive zone puck movement.

He's good defensively as well, good breakouts and has some physicality.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
My prediction is that he gets the #7 d spot next year, and has to work from there. I see the Jets promoting Samberg up the lineup, and I think there is a comfort level with Stanley-De Melo, so subtract Dillon, promote Chisholm, assuming he beats out Capobianco for that spot. Is he better than anyone that's here already? Not sure about that, but I think he'll get a chance, I'm hoping he doesn't get stuck in the rut.

He's making a push to get ahead of Heinola, but I think there's no contest between the two, Heinola is a much better hockey player, but the Jets aren't going to be able to play all their LD, so someone is going to move. I would guess it's the guy who's agent is making some rumbles.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
He really is the exact type of dmen Bowness is likely looking for in terms of offense from the dmen. Skates real well and smartly jumps into the play. He plays a very direct game and is faiy predictable in what he'll do ala a JoMo. Big shot and is good at facilitating sustained offensive zone puck movement.

He's good defensively as well, good breakouts and has some physicality.

Agree with all the above and would add that already he'd likely the 2nd most 4-way mobile D after JMo. That mobility helps make up for what I'd say is a relative lack of creativity at the top level -- I actually think JMo's creative flair can be a bit underrated.

Doesn't have the vision or creativity of Heinola but a very strong all-rounder who can be relied on in most situations and has generally scored well and makes few mistakes. Higher floor than some others but maybe not quite the ceiling -- then again he's been surprising folks for years, so who knows?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree with all the above and would add that already he'd likely the 2nd most 4-way mobile D after JMo. That mobility helps make up for what I'd say is a relative lack of creativity at the top level -- I actually think JMo's creative flair can be a bit underrated.

Doesn't have the vision or creativity of Heinola but a very strong all-rounder who can be relied on in most situations and has generally scored well and makes few mistakes. Higher floor than some others but maybe not quite the ceiling -- then again he's been surprising folks for years, so who knows?

Yeah JoMo has gotten some of that creativity back the last year and a bit. I agree that Ville has the better vision and passing especially in the ozone but Chisholm imo has a more lethal shot. I think two/way top 4 dmen that can get you 30-35 points isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I'll admit that I don't know this player as well as some -
But based on the feedback so far, he shoots, passes, skates well, able to contribute offensively - and has decent size.
Also appears to be a player that is getting better every year and has shown consistency.

What's not to like -

I'm late to the party but will be paying more attention to him TY -

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd love to see Declan Chisholm get a shot with the Jets. He has a great point shot, and stickhandles well, and very important that he's a good size. From the limited amount I've seen of him in hi-light reels, he takes good command of the blue line, and shows poise and leadership. I think he may be a top 6 player for the Jets, and may be better than Samberg. Injuries that always happen may afford us a good look at him. Afterall, he'll have one of the most unique names in hockey.

He may end up being better than Demelo, who I see as just an average to slightly above average Dman for the Jets.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I feel like management is waiting to ride out the current window for Scheif and Helle, and if they don’t re-sign, then ship out the vets and go with the young D-men during rebuild.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As a LHD I see too much in the way stopping him from becoming an consistent NHL'er at the moment. I don't know if he is even capable of playing well on the right side.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I've never seen him play, maybe a few highlights is all. So I'm just going on stats and other people's reports - but I've liked his steady progression in scoring. Continuous improvement is as good an indicator as you can have. The reports from people who have actually seen him play have always noted his good skating and 2 way play. I have high hopes for him.

Reactions: Jet

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
1706479042649.gif

None

Feb 22, 2012

Only answer I can think of is that he requested a trade and there was no takers so his agent asked us to waive him :dunno:

If the Jets have him behind Stanley on the depth chart then they were just kind of hanging Chisholm out in the wind.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Only answer I can think of is that he requested a trade and there was no takers so his agent asked us to waive him :dunno:

If the Jets have him behind Stanley on the depth chart then they were just kind of hanging Chisholm out in the wind.
Such is life for AHL tweeners that make up a huge swath of players all trying to gain a foothold somewhere in the NHL. Every team has 5-10 of them that bounce back and forth depending on team needs. If lucky they land in a good situation and they find a way to eke out a bit of a NHL career somewhere. Most bounce around from organization to organization following their dream.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Such is life for AHL tweeners that make up a huge swath of players all trying to gain a foothold somewhere in the NHL. Every team has 5-10 of them that bounce back and forth depending on team needs. If lucky they land in a good situation and they find a way to eke out a bit of a NHL career somewhere. Most bounce around from organization to organization following their dream.
More problematic our youth isn’t getting chances or working out. Teams like Dallas already have a new core when their old one ages out. Only young guys we have is berg and perfetti.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
More problematic our youth isn’t getting chances or working out. Teams like Dallas already have a new core when their old one ages out. Only young guys we have is berg and perfetti.

Yup, but you can add Gabe to the list as he's the same age as Snerg. Hopefully Ville pushes his way in the back half of the year.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If Chisholm or the Jets had a group of youth as good as Jason Robertson, Hintz, Heiskanen, Harley, wyatt Johnston, you just might have a case there. Chisholm particularly is none of those guys.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Give it a year or 2, as our youth isn't quite ready yet. Maybe McGroarty is, but we will have to wait until his NCAA season is over. We have a veteran core but they haven't aged out and the only top prospect coming close to decision time on is Heinola and by all appearances they organization is in the process of opening up a roster spot for him.

Reactions: roccerfeller
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad