Is Connor McDavid the best player ever?

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
So, I’ve always felt that the GOAT convo is Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, and Hasek. If you said one of them was the GOAT, I wasn’t gonna argue with you. Gun to my head, I’d have Mario Lemieux as the best, but there’s fair case for all of them. I’m also clearly, fwiw, a bit of a contrarian, and so I think the best player outside of those five is Eric Lindros. Maybe Patrick Roy.

But I got to thinking. My belief is normally that you have to consider it era relative, but I think the conditions of the 1980s are impossible to replicate. I don’t think it’s possible to dominate statistically the way Gretzky did in today’s game.

Connor McDavid is at very least the fastest player ever, and his hands and his head keep up with his feet. My question here, just wanting to see different takes, is it possible he’s as good as a hockey player can be? To me, if he isn’t, it’s almost impossible to be better than Gretzky and Lemieux. And like, I’m a Leafs guy, I’m still half Mad Online we didn’t win that lottery, and I wish I could be making this thread about Auston. But I’m genuinely curious about how people feel here.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Well actually now that you…
1652883079399.png

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
So, I’ve always felt that the GOAT convo is Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, Howe, and Hasek. If you said one of them was the GOAT, I wasn’t gonna argue with you. Gun to my head, I’d have Mario Lemieux as the best, but there’s fair case for all of them. I’m also clearly, fwiw, a bit of a contrarian, and so I think the best player outside of those five is Eric Lindros. Maybe Patrick Roy.

But I got to thinking. My belief is normally that you have to consider it era relative, but I think the conditions of the 1980s are impossible to replicate. I don’t think it’s possible to dominate statistically the way Gretzky did in today’s game.

Connor McDavid is at very least the fastest player ever, and husband hands and his head keep up with his feet. My question here, just wanting to see different takes, is it possible he’s as good as a hockey player can be? To me, if he isn’t, it’s almost impossible to be better than Gretzky and Lemieux. And like, I’m a Leafs guy, I’m still half Mad Online we didn’t win that lottery, and I wish I could be making this thread about Auston. But I’m genuinely curious about how people feel here.
What is husband hands??? And no I don't think he's the GOAT.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Young man, I think you need to bring up HockeyDB and look at a few players statlines.

Wayne Gretzky to start, Mario Lemieux after that. Bobby Orr is a good one to look up too.

Young man, I think you need to look-up the leaguewide scoring of that era compared to today and while you're at it, look-up the wiki page for NHL expansions.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
It never ends.

No, he's not the best player ever.

LOL. Jesus.

Jesus is a great candidate, but I think his ability to walk on water gives an unfair advantage, since ice is just slippery water. Although I guess you can't fault the greats of yesterday for the rules in place at the time.

Last edited:

NigerianNightmare

Lürssen > Feadship
Jan 25, 2022
West Africa

Connor McDavid is at very least the fastest player ever, and his hands and his head keep up with his feet. My question here, just wanting to see different takes, is it possible he’s as good as a hockey player can be? To me, if he isn’t, it’s almost impossible to be better than Gretzky and Lemieux. And like, I’m a Leafs guy, I’m still half Mad Online we didn’t win that lottery, and I wish I could be making this thread about Auston. But I’m genuinely curious about how people feel here.

Of course, he's not.

It's not about individual stats. It's about being a winner and make everyone on your team better.

Give him 5 more years. Then we'll see if he belongs to be considered the greatest

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He probably skates faster, stick handles better, shoots harder, etc. from a pure technical and absolute sense than the greats from the prior era (Gretzky himself has said this, certainly Gretzky isn't overly boastful in describing his playing days, but I think he may be right) but that's not really the way people look through things. Training/development is able to build on advantages from the prior era and refine and improve them to build more efficient and skilled players. The whole "how many points would McDavid score in the 80s" question is like... I dunno probably a lot, you can just use era-adjusted tools available and be done with it and not think too hard because there isn't much ceterus paribus involved. Like when did McDavid first get a skating coach? Probably super young. Just wasn't a thing at all when say, Lemieux was coming up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad