Is clutchness real in the NHL?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You were on the receiving end of a Justin Williams so I find it interesting that you wouldn't think so. And if many of the voters didn't believe in clutch, Williams wouldn't have that Conn Smythe and Doughty would have one. Maybe it's overromanticized but that's probably a reaction to "LOL clutch doesn't exist."

I'd click A AND B if I could though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While I think some people definitely do better in pressure situations than others I think variance plays a bigger role and creates narratives that we love.

What amuses me is that talking heads always have sage widsom and narratives to share no matter what actually happens.

For example:

"Your best players have to be your best players." when a team wins on the strength of their top line.

"You need your depth guys to step up." when a team wins when the top line doesn't score and someone else does.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, some people do better under pressure than others and sometimes those same people do even better than when there is no pressure.

You can't tell me Mr. Game 7 existed and clutch is nonsense. Also Sam Bennet exists. 3rd/4th liner most of the time. Borderline 1st liner in the playoffs.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Not a fan of how the options are listed but suffice to say there are no if, and, or buts that clutch is a 'thing' in hockey.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Claude Lemieux was a good regular season player but a clutch big game player in the playoffs. Four Stanley Cups with three teams and a Conn Smythe Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad