Is Chicago finally starting to crumble?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Kane is still in his prime. The main issue for the Hawks will arise when Kane loses his fire.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Still a world class core....but the cap will always come back to take it's due unless gms are willing to be ruthless before giving out retirement contracts.

Three cups in such a short time is a overflow of grace for a franchise and fan base.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Still a playoff team but after the past week they certainly don't look like a cup contender.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
They played a **** series against the Preds, but going into the playoffs many had them pegged as a cup favourite. Losing Hossa for the season, and maybe forever, is a big loss, and I'm not so sure about the Hjalmarsson for Murphy/Dauphin deal they just made. However, they still have one of the strongest cores in the league - Kane/Toews/Panarin at forward, Keith/Seabrook on d, Crawford in goal. Their depth is a bit weak, but not awful. I think they're still a solid playoff team next year, though not a top 3-5 team in the league anymore. The longer term picture is starting to look a bit more bleak, though.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Oh ****, just saw that they also dealt Panarin for Saad. That's a significant downgrade IMO, just like the Hjalmarsson trade. Even still, they're probably a playoff team next year, but man, they are really ****ing themselves with some of these deals.

Earlier this morning their core was:
Kane/Toews/Panarin
Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson
Crawford

And now it's:
Kane/Toews/Saad
Keith/Seabrook/Connor Murphy
Crawford

That's a pretty big downgrade in a very short amount of time, and they weren't even able to significantly improve their depth. Maybe I will hop on this "cumbling" train after all ...

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Oh ****, just saw that they also dealt Panarin for Saad. That's a significant downgrade IMO, just like the Hjalmarsson trade. Even still, they're probably a playoff team next year, but man, they are really ****ing themselves with some of these deals.

Earlier this morning their core was:
Kane/Toews/Panarin
Keith/Seabrook/Hjalmarsson
Crawford

And now it's:
Kane/Toews/Saad
Keith/Seabrook/Connor Murphy
Crawford

That's a pretty big downgrade in a very short amount of time, and they weren't even able to significantly improve their depth. Maybe I will hop on this "cumbling" train after all ...

With how deep the Central is top to (almost) bottom now, I'm not so sure.

If they weasel out of the Hossa contract with no punishment they can add a decent piece that could help. But on paper, RIGHT NOW, is that team really better than Nashville/Dallas/STL/WPG/MIN? I don't know.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Omg! The hawks traded great players and got horrible returns, so yes we cumble hard. Like a cookie!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
With how deep the Central is top to (almost) bottom now, I'm not so sure.

If they weasel out of the Hossa contract with no punishment they can add a decent piece that could help. But on paper, RIGHT NOW, is that team really better than Nashville/Dallas/STL/WPG/MIN? I don't know.
Yeah, you could be right. I started writing my first comment only knowing they'd lost Hossa, and thought "that sucks, but they're probably OK." Then noticed they'd made that nasty Hjalmarsson trade, and then the Panarin deal shortly after. In total they're losing Hossa, Panarin and Hjalmarsson, and basically replacing them with just Saad and Connor Murphy, that's a massive downgrade, especially for a team that had been relying on a strong core of stars to carry mediocre depth.

Agreed that a big wildcard is "can they get out of the Hossa deal, and if so, can they make good use of that cap space?" I think another big wildcard is Toews - he sucked last year, but not long ago he was one of the top centres in the league, and he's just 29 and healthy. If Toews can bounce back, and if they can somehow turn Hossa's LTIR into a good player, then playoffs seem quite possible. However, if they make no significant acquisitions, and Toews continues to suck, then you likely are right that they miss the playoffs.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
I don't think it's as bad as it looks.

Panarin and NickH are scheduled to become UFAs in 2019 and re-signing them would have cost at least 13 millions per season.

No question Saad and Murphy are downgrades but both are signed long term to "cost controlled" contracts and they allow the team to remain competitive.

Also, Dauphin and Forsberg shouldn't be overlooked.

Dauphin is a fine bottom 6 player who makes Kruger (and his 3.1 salary) even more expandable.

As for Forsberg, Chicago has basically zero depth behind Crawford. All that they have is veteran minor leaguer Jeff Glass and two prospects with very little chance to reach the NHL (Ivan Nalimov and Wouter Peeters).

Gambling on a young guy like Forsberg instead of signing a UFA goaltender could mean cap savings between 500K to 1.5M for Chicago.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
depends on what Schmaltz Debrincat and Murphy are made of. If they are good the hawks will be very good. If not crumble time.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
I don't think it's as bad as it looks.

Panarin and NickH are scheduled to become UFAs in 2019 and re-signing them would have cost at least 13 millions per season.

No question Saad and Murphy are downgrades but both are signed long term to "cost controlled" contracts and they allow the team to remain competitive.

Also, Dauphin and Forsberg shouldn't be overlooked.

Dauphin is a fine bottom 6 player who makes Kruger (and his 3.1 salary) even more expandable.

As for Forsberg, Chicago has basically zero depth behind Crawford. All that they have is veteran minor leaguer Jeff Glass and two prospects with very little chance to reach the NHL (Ivan Nalimov and Wouter Peeters).

Gambling on a young guy like Forsberg instead of signing a UFA goaltender could mean cap savings between 500K to 1.5M for Chicago.

I dont view saad vs panarin as a downgrade at all. Kruger will still be delt. The hawks are about to sign Cal Pederson goalie out of Notre Dame for even more stability at goalie. I dont know a about this hammer trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad