Is Cameron here for 2015/2016?

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
With a new GM coming in this offseason! Likely Pierre Dorion! Will he or the new GM keep him or chose his own coach? It looks like Ottawa needs new leadership behind the bench with new acumen and fresh ideas to get us back into contention. My hope is the New GM brings in his own guys so we can mature into a legit playoff contender again. It's not likely to happen under the current coaching staff.

Thoughts?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if he at least starts the season.

It also depends on how many coaches get fired over the summer. If a really attractive name happens to be on the unemployment line, that changes things for sure.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
With a new GM coming in this offseason!
Morbidly, yes.

Likely Pierre Dorion!

Extremely doubtful. Dorion has less than half a year's worth of AGM responsibilities under his belt. He's far too green to be promoted to the big job at the moment. Give him a couple of years to learn the rest of the job, and then I'll probably be on board.

Will he or the new GM keep him or chose his own coach?

I doubt Melnyk wants to pay TWO head coaches to sit at home (or oddly enough attend Sens games as a fan?) and not actually coach for him, plus Cameron is Melnyk's boy, so I'd say the smart money is on Cameron getting "a vote of confidence" by the new GM and Cameron getting a full season (October-to-April) behind the bench before a change is made, IF it becomes obvious that a change needs to be made.

It looks like Ottawa needs new leadership behind the bench with new acumen and fresh ideas to get us back into contention.

I agree, though I imagine Cameron will be here regardless. I mean, they made a point of stressing the fact that he isn't an interim guy. I can't imagine he's done in less than a calendar year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol....I can just see MacLean and Cameron sitting in the stands next year, sharing a bag of popcorn and watching the game. That would be almost as good as seeing MacLeans' doppelganger behind the glass.

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Probably, in the unfortunate event of potentially getting a new GM, due to B Murr's health, keeping the old coach around gives you an extra card in your hand to play. IE Tim Murray keeping Nolan on his staff. When he goes to fire him he won't be seen as his guy that he hired in the eyes of ownership.

So if theres an incoming GM it makes sense to keep him around for a season and go in a new direction in the following season if results are poor.

If B Murr sticks around no chance he goes for another coaching change in such a short window.

So yeah logical assumption is Cameron is our coach next season. He's done a decent job since he's come in as well. It's pretty clear this team lacks talent in many areas and until a GM addresses that we wont have sustainable long term success

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
No question he starts the season unless the new gm gives Melnyk some sort of ultimatum

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'll believe he'll start the year but I can also see the next GM deciding to take the team in another direction. Partly because it's going to be impossible to sell tickets telling fans that Cameron is the right coach for this team. Joe Ticket Buyer doesn't care about PDO and Corsi improvements, they see a coach who's lead the team to 5 wins in their last 15 and a non-existent powerplay.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I asked this in another thread and nobody seems to know the answer, although many seem to claim they do without any facts.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a new coach next year, but I think it's all up in the air and will most likely be decided in the summer. I could see a scenario where Cameron is behind the bench next year in an assistant role again.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
It's Proust

He's a funny guy

... jesus christ, I can't believe I missed that joke...

Le9045P.gif

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I tend to agree. If I were GM I'd want my own guy. I hope some madness like Melnyk insisting Cameron is the coach doesn't cost us a good GM hiring.

It could certainly play out that way. A GM with any real cred would not be too interested in a position where his first major decision is thrust upon him by the owner.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I tend to agree. If I were GM I'd want my own guy. I hope some madness like Melnyk insisting Cameron is the coach doesn't cost us a good GM hiring.

Fancy stats, Bonk.

Fancy stats.

I get that people want to point to the record and say Cameron hasn't changed this team at all. But the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The team's even strength play is simply night and day, and I'm not talking about Corsi, Fenwick, or even scoring chances (though all those have seen significant improvement); we've quite simply outscored teams at ES since Cameron took over, and that's with the drop in sv%. We've gone from scoring 44% of the ES goals under MacLean to 52% under Cameron (for anyone taking score at home, that's 8 percentage points higher), yet people still inexplicably think that the team's played no better because the record is worse.

Yes, special teams matter. Yes, they've sucked under Cameron (well, the PP has). The real question is, what's easier to fix, ES play, or Special teams. I'd argue special teams, particularly when you can hire an assistant coach to run the PP. If I'm a GM trying to improve this team, I'm staring at our PP and looking for solutions. We don't need a complete overhaul, almost everything is operating fine, we just have one aspect significantly underachieving.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
I get that people want to point to the record and say Cameron hasn't changed this team at all. But the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. The team's even strength play is simply night and day, and I'm not talking about Corsi, Fenwick, or even scoring chances (though all those have seen significant improvement); we've quite simply outscored teams at ES since Cameron took over, and that's with the drop in sv%. We've gone from scoring 44% of the ES goals under MacLean to 52% under Cameron (for anyone taking score at home, that's 8 percentage points higher), yet people still inexplicably think that the team's played no better because the record is worse.

Yes, special teams matter. Yes, they've sucked under Cameron (well, the PP has). The real question is, what's easier to fix, ES play, or Special teams. I'd argue special teams, particularly when you can hire an assistant coach to run the PP. If I'm a GM trying to improve this team, I'm staring at our PP and looking for solutions. We don't need a complete overhaul, almost everything is operating fine, we just have one aspect significantly underachieving.

I think a lot of the PP issues stem from having only one player who can play the point effectively too.

Another area where adding a top 4D could seriously help this team.

What also doesn't get mentioned is how many opportunities we gave the opposition while on the PP under Maclean.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Every organization has a boss and like it or not Melnyk calls the shots. If Melnyk likes what Cameron has brought to the team he won't be dumped.
Any new GM will accept the job knowing this is the case.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a lot of the PP issues stem from having only one player who can play the point effectively too.

Another area where adding a top 4D could seriously help this team.

What also doesn't get mentioned is how many opportunities we gave the opposition while on the PP under Maclean.

Has that really changed that much though? I really haven't noticed one way or the other, so i'm just curious.

To be honest, I'd rather a playmaker from the halfwall. Turris, Zibanejad, Legwand, Ryan and MacArthur just aren't good enough options to draw attention away from Karlsson (or Ceci). We have Wiercioch who when in the lineup should be fine as a LD PP option, but idk, has the PP been scoring with him there? Maybe we could put Karlsson on the LD, and Ceci on the right (he doesn't look comfortable on the LD) and ask Ryan to play the role of playmaker (I think he's underrated in that regard). That would certainly give us a different look.

Every organization has a boss and like it or not Melnyk calls the shots. If Melnyk likes what Cameron has brought to the team he won't be dumped.
Any new GM will accept the job knowing this is the case.

I think that it would be kinda foolish to automatically fire the coach and bring in someone new. Whoever the new GM is, they should probably come in with everything in tact, evaluate what's working and what isn't and then work from there. I mean, if the new GM comes in with a completely different gameplan (ie we become a trap team for exapmple, and starts making changes to the roster to achieve that goal) then maybe it makes sense, but with Murray hireing a replacement, odds are good he'll want someone with a similar vision.

Last edited:

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Has that really changed that much though? I really haven't noticed one way or the other, so i'm just curious.

To be honest, I'd rather a playmaker from the halfwall. Turris, Zibanejad, Legwand, Ryan and MacArthur just aren't good enough options to draw attention away from Karlsson (or Ceci). We have Wiercioch who when in the lineup should be fine as a LD PP option, but idk, has the PP been scoring with him there? Maybe we could put Karlsson on the LD, and Ceci on the right (he doesn't look comfortable on the LD) and ask Ryan to play the role of playmaker (I think he's underrated in that regard). That would certainly give us a different look.

I think that it would be kinda foolish to automatically fire the coach and bring in someone new. Whoever the new GM is, they should probably come in with everything in tact, evaluate what's working and what isn't and then work from there. I mean, if the new GM comes in with a completely different gameplan (ie we become a trap team for exapmple, and starts making changes to the roster to achieve that goal) then maybe it makes sense, but with Murray hireing a replacement, odds are good he'll want someone with a similar vision.

Dale Tallon fired 2 coaches last year! Dineen and Horacheck couldn't reach his standards. Now they have a great man leading the charge in Gallant. Like many posters are saying. My bet is it depends on the new GM. Who ever it may be. Guess we won't know for another 3 months

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm pretty sure I read that Cameron had been given a two year extension, i.e. two more seasons after this one, as the head coach. He has no "interim" tag right now, but then again every coach in the NHL is interim in some fashion. I have every expectation that Cameron will be behind the bench for the start of next season. After that, it's anyone's guess...

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I'm pretty sure I read that Cameron had been given a two year extension, i.e. two more seasons after this one, as the head coach. He has no "interim" tag right now, but then again every coach in the NHL is interim in some fashion. I have every expectation that Cameron will be behind the bench for the start of next season. After that, it's anyone's guess...

Maclean, him, Reeds and Wamsley were all given 3 year extensions after the 2012-2013 season (right after Maclean won the Jack Adams).

So Cameron still would have two years left after this year off of that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad