Speculation: Is Calgary willing to trade Monahan?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Thats awful for Calgary a guy. with one year left and a 50 point winger for a centre who just put up 80 points getting paid less than $7M?
You want Monahan? Start with Dumba. If the Lightning want to re-tool I could see a deal around Monahan and Stamkos. Otherwise I don't see Calgary trading Monahan for a downgrade.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Change it to “Value of”. I was excited thinking something could be in the works...

Not trying to be that guy though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How available is he, if at all?

Seems like the type of player the wild need badly.

Would spurgeon + Zucker get it done?

No, no it doesn't.

The only way Monahan gets traded is if we find an absolute upgrade on him. And in that case the only upgrade that I can see us shooting for is Brayden Point if talks aren't smooth with the Lightning (which I doubt). We're not trading Monahan for a pending UFA top pairing defenseman that might not re-sign with us and also a middle 6 LW, a position in which we don't really need to upgrade at all.

Minnesota just doesn't have the pieces to snag Monahan.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Well, that wasn't even worse than expected.

Flames either need a straight upgrade on Monahan and only way they may get that is maybe Gaudreau+ or they need to get another 2A center like Kadri.

Defense and spare parts won't cut it.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
How available is he, if at all?

Seems like the type of player the wild need badly.

Would spurgeon + Zucker get it done?

No that's god awful for the Flames

A) We don't need another defenseman, especially one heading into free agency.
B) zucker is a decent piece but he's just a piece

Monahan is a 24 year old 80 point center on a really good contract. You want him, you'll bleed to get him, not a couple of meh pieces that do nothing to make the Flames better or address needs in a major way.

Reactions: Nanuuk

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
You're still way off

Again, we're fine on defense.

Zucker is a piece, but he's not a major addressing of needs.

Staal is 34 2 years from free agency and not a number one center, and not interesting in a Monahan trade

You're basically trying a Quality for quantity deal, not addressing the Flames needs.

Right now, take out any defenseman, we're pretty loaded at that position, especially with young guys pushing for a spot.

We need a top 6 young RW, if we can upgrade at center then that's of interest.

I don't see the pieces on Minny's roster that would make a trade for Monahan happen. a 24 year old 80 point center on a cheap long term deal has huge value.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sorry, I was way off lol.

What about

Dumba
Zucker
Staal

For Monahan

??

You just had like 7 different CGY fans tell you they need a better center for him. It’s not going to happen. The last thing they need is defense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Upgrade our centre position, and we'll move Sean.
Give us some wingers, and some other shit and we start hammering you for suggesting it.

Monahan is to only be used to essentially upgrade on himself.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol. Flames are not trading Monahan. Even if they somehow land a better center, they'd likely keep Monahan as a #2.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
The only way Monahan moves is for a better, cheap, young centre. Unless you have that in the offer, he is going nowhere.

It should be noted as well that Monahan and Gaudreau appear super close off the ice as well, so you'd need to factor in pissing off Johnny if we traded Monahan.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Thats awful for Calgary a guy. with one year left and a 50 point winger for a centre who just put up 80 points getting paid less than $7M?
Exactly and if not for a broken thumb Monahan would likely have been a 90+ point center this season, If he's traded it'll be for a top 20 center not scraps.

That said, I hear Brayden Point is too expensive for Tampa :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
From players drafted 2011 -> Sean Monahan has 2nd most goals; Kucherov 188, Monahan 172, 5th most points. Think about that.
I think his value would be too high for most teams.

Especially with a bargain of a contract.

Last edited:

culturaldingo

Jan 15, 2019
Monahan wont be traded simply for the fact that he makes 6m and is a 1b center. He could of had 40+ goals this season if the hole first line didnt fall of a cliff after the allstar break.

Only thing I'd consider would be Monahan for Point+

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Monahan wont be traded simply for the fact that he makes 6m and is a 1b center. He could of had 40+ goals this season if the hole first line didnt fall of a cliff after the allstar break.

Only thing I'd consider would be Monahan for Point+
I'd do Monahan+ for Point. Points speed in our division is needed.
Monahan + Kylington

for

Point + 3rd pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad