Proposal: Is Cal Foote worth going after? (Discussion)

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Well, with the on coming Expansion draft Tampa will have a hard time protection all it Dmen, so near as I can figure, Cal Foote may be unprotected. If that is the truth, then what will it take to get him?

Is he actually worth going after? Or is Cernak more available? (I doubt that, but it begs the question) So, do we go after him? Or do we go after Cernak? What is the cost?

I would love to hear some thoughts on this...............

Thanks!

lawrence

May 19, 2012
every team is somewhat in the same situation. I think Kole Lind is also exposed so who knows. everyones got a juicy prospect available for Seattle to poach off of.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I don't think so, unless he came real cheap. The talk I've seen from Lightning fans is that his skating is an issue. Skating and IQ are the two pillars for me when it concerns defensemen nowadays.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well, with the on coming Expansion draft Tampa will have a hard time protection all it Dmen, so near as I can figure, Cal Foote may be unprotected. If that is the truth, then what will it take to get him?

Is he actually worth going after? Or is Cernak more available? (I doubt that, but it begs the question) So, do we go after him? Or do we go after Cernak? What is the cost?

I would love to hear some thoughts on this...............

Thanks!
I see TB going 4-4-1

Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, and Foote get protected. Leaving McDonaugh exposed because he's 32 with 5 years at $6.875 mill per cap hit.
Forwards, Point, Kucherov, stamkos, and Cirelli get protected. Leaving all of Palat, Gourde, Killorn, Johnson, etc. exposed.

Likely down to Palat/Gourde who would be selected in this scenario.

So, it's basically, is Foote better than one of these 2 forwards to protect, given he is on ELC while the other 2 are at $5 mill cap hit.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I see TB going 4-4-1

Hedman, Cernak, Sergachev, and Foote get protected. Leaving McDonaugh exposed because he's 32 with 5 years at $6.875 mill per cap hit.
Forwards, Point, Kucherov, stamkos, and Cirelli get protected. Leaving all of Palat, Gourde, Killorn, Johnson, etc. exposed.

Likely down to Palat/Gourde who would be selected in this scenario.

So, it's basically, is Foote better than one of these 2 forwards to protect, given he is on ELC while the other 2 are at $5 mill cap hit.
yup. I scrolled through TB's forums a few weeks ago. Most are leaning towards exposing McDonagh due to his age and cap hit. They have cap issues so if theya re going to lose someone they'd rather lose a big cap hit. Now if the GM feels the same way is another story.

Reactions: zcaptain

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I feel that many fans have their expectations way out of whack with these recent expansion teams when you're a team with extra protection room. Take Tampa for instance, say they're going to lose one of Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or Killorn. Does that mean a team like the Canucks can acquire one cheaply? Hell no, because can only take one so once they choose Tampa has no incentive to trade the left overs.

This really only works when a team only has one good target to lose in expansion. You can try to acquire them for cheap but your also competing against the expansion team who may accept payoffs to not take the player, and last time around Vegas made their price very cheap. Also, I'd imagine the number of teams that have only one good player to lose is going to be outnumbered a good deal by teams like the Canucks with an extra space or two. Even if Benning gets fired and we got a good GM it's not likely there will be anything to take advantage of.

Speaking of Tampa though, taking a quick look I'd imagine they'll protect 4 dmen Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, and Cernak, then the 4 obvious forwards Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, and Cirelli, then just let Seattle take one of those forwards mentioned at the top. Really not a bad thing because these are all $5M players so it clears some cap space for them. Or alternatively they could choose to protect 3/4 of them but then have to expose one of the 4 dmen.

Either way It's all pretty straightforward and there's nothing really in Tampa for a team like Vancouver to take advantage of. They have some control but Seattle will get a good player from them and that eliminates any need for them to trade anyone else.

Edit: I didn't see the above two posts and I'm not paying that close attention to other teams but yes if McDonagh is losing a step they could expose him.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Contrary to what I first thought, it seems that Foote has a slow first 3 steps, according to some of the posters on the Tampa site. They are thinking he is a 5 right now, and might not ever get past being a 4. I am a little puzzled over this but that is their words.

Anyways, it certainly changes my perceived value, so I am not sure it has any value to go further, but maybe I am wrong, so keep filling me in, if I am wrong

Thanks

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I feel that many fans have their expectations way out of whack with these recent expansion teams when you're a team with extra protection room. Take Tampa for instance, say they're going to lose one of Palat, Gourde, Johnson, or Killorn. Does that mean a team like the Canucks can acquire one cheaply? Hell no, because can only take one so once they choose Tampa has no incentive to trade the left overs.

This really only works when a team only has one good target to lose in expansion. You can try to acquire them for cheap but your also competing against the expansion team who may accept payoffs to not take the player, and last time around Vegas made their price very cheap. Also, I'd imagine the number of teams that have only one good player to lose is going to be outnumbered a good deal by teams like the Canucks with an extra space or two. Even if Benning gets fired and we got a good GM it's not likely there will be anything to take advantage of.

Speaking of Tampa though, taking a quick look I'd imagine they'll protect 4 dmen Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, and Cernak, then the 4 obvious forwards Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, and Cirelli, then just let Seattle take one of those forwards mentioned at the top. Really not a bad thing because these are all $5M players so it clears some cap space for them. Or alternatively they could choose to protect 3/4 of them but then have to expose one of the 4 dmen.

Either way It's all pretty straightforward and there's nothing really in Tampa for a team like Vancouver to take advantage of. They have some control but Seattle will get a good player from them and that eliminates any need for them to trade anyone else.

Edit: I didn't see the above two posts and I'm not paying that close attention to other teams but yes if McDonagh is losing a step they could expose him.
Well it’s not only that. Asides from Foote, they only have cernak that’s a rhd. If McDonagh is taken, they have Hedman and sergachev on the left still

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Cernak would be a much better target from Tampa, but it doesn't matter. He's going to be protected.

Tampa has so many good players that I don't think they really care about losing one. They'll just take the hit when Seattle selects one of Gourde/Killorn/Johnson/Volkov/Joseph, etc.

Contrary to others here, I think TB will actually go 7-3-1. I think they'll want to protect Palat in addition to Point, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Cirelli. They might also want to protect Coleman and Goodrow if they're re-signed. They'll expose McDonagh because his age and contract probably disincentivizes Seattle from picking him anyway. And if he is selected, it helps out their cap situation. I don't think they bother prioritizing Foote because honestly he's not a premium prospect.

There's no deal to be made with Tampa. They know what they're doing and are prepared to lose a complementary player to Seattle. They'll still be fine.

Reactions: zcaptain

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cernak would be a much better target from Tampa, but it doesn't matter. He's going to be protected.

Tampa has so many good players that I don't think they really care about losing one. They'll just take the hit when Seattle selects one of Gourde/Killorn/Johnson/Volkov/Joseph, etc.

Contrary to others here, I think TB will actually go 7-3-1. I think they'll want to protect Palat in addition to Point, Stamkos, Kucherov, and Cirelli. They might also want to protect Coleman and Goodrow if they're re-signed. They'll expose McDonagh because his age and contract probably disincentivizes Seattle from picking him anyway. And if he is selected, it helps out their cap situation. I don't think they bother prioritizing Foote because honestly he's not a premium prospect.

There's no deal to be made with Tampa. They know what they're doing and are prepared to lose a complementary player to Seattle. They'll still be fine.
McDonaugh due to the term left on his contract along with his age would make him a prime candidate to be exposed in the ED

KEY to remember, is being exposed in the ED doesn't mean these guys will be selected. Very likely Seattle passes on bigger name guys with term on their contracts. Even Washington native TJ Oshie with 4 years at age 34 should be passed over in the ED. Same with Tyler Johnson from TB with his 3 years at $5 mill per. Would have to be one heck of a sweetener to make me take them for 4 and 3 years left.

For any team, the decision is between selecting 7-3 or 4-4 is whether the #4 Dman is better than the #5 forward. If Foote's footspeed is too slow, then probably best to go 7-3 and risk losing him. For a team that is so well put together as TB, they really don't do a very good job in selecting players in round 1. Have to basically go back to Vasilevksy in 2012 as their last great first round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad