Is Burns the first indisputable Norris winner since 2007-08?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
So far obviously since the season isn't over.

There's honestly no room for argument whatsoever as to who deserves the Norris so far: it's Burns.

But it got me thinking, the Norris has been such a contentious award every year as far back as I can remember.

Is Lidstrom winning in 2007-08 over Phaneuf the last time we had this clear-cut superiority of #1 over #2 in the Norris race?

Discuss!

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Scoring leaders February 8th last season:
1.Kane 56gp- 76 points
2.Benn 53gp- 59 points
3.Karlsson 53gp- 59 points

Scoring leaders february 8th this season:
1. Crosby 46gp-60 points
2. Mcdavid 55gp-60 points
3. Burns 54gp- 57 points

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Karlsson was the indisputable Norris winner last season. Pure robbery by the Canadian biased NHL- Actually one of the main reasons I decided to stop following NHL actively this season(annoying time-zone differences and the game becoming more and more stale+boring+to "good", leaning towards it's just being to easy, goalies being the others). Doesnt exactly help that the players are all media-trained, robotic, soulless droids. Oh abit off-topic I guess.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
If he continues, I'll say yes

But as someone pointed out above... Karlsson was on a similar pace this far in to the season, and was also pretty close to "undisputed" at that point. A lot can change in the next 30 games.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Other than being a Swede or a Sens, there's absolutely nothing that made Karlsson "undisputable" last season.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

But as someone pointed out above... Karlsson was on a similar pace this far in to the season, and was also pretty close to "undisputed" at that point. A lot can change in the next 30 games.

It wasnt undisputed. Karlsson was the first defensemen since 95 to score 82 points. Its not like he had a bad end to the season. Doughty was the frontrunner all season no matter what happened because canadian media etc said all season long it was his time to win.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa

Unfortunately this just isn't true. As one example, here was the coaches poll that occurred at the Allstar break last year:

Best defenceman
Drew Doughty (LA) 12; Erik Karlsson (Ott) 5; Duncan Keith (Chi) 3; Oliver Ekman-Larsson (Ari) 2; Brent Burns (SJ) 1; Roman Josi (Nas) 1; Kris Letang (Pit) 1; Ryan Suter (Min) 1; Shea Weber (Nas) 1.

While I personally did not feel this way, the reality is Karlsson was not considered to be the best defenseman in the NHL last year.

Right or wrong, whether he should win / should have own the Norris was and is in massive dispute.

Burns on the other hand, I think you have to be a homer not to vote for him this season.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Voted-on awards have little meaning. Understand this and your life becomes much easier.

The Norris is not given to "the best defenceman". It's given to "the player who gets voted best defenceman". There is a world of difference between those two things.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Scoring leaders February 8th last season:
1.Kane 56gp- 76 points
2.Benn 53gp- 59 points
3.Karlsson 53gp- 59 points

Scoring leaders february 8th this season:
1. Crosby 46gp-60 points
2. Mcdavid 55gp-60 points
3. Burns 54gp- 57 points

Based on PPG, Burns is actually further behind Crosby than Karlsson was behind Kane. The reason it looks so lopsided is because Crosby missed a half dozen games at the beginning of the season and because the Hawks had a busier schedule through Feb 8th.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
It wasnt undisputed. Karlsson was the first defensemen since 95 to score 82 points. Its not like he had a bad end to the season. Doughty was the frontrunner all season no matter what happened because canadian media etc said all season long it was his time to win.

Unfortunately this just isn't true. As one example, here was the coaches poll that occurred at the Allstar break last year:

While I personally did not feel this way, the reality is Karlsson was not considered to be the best defenseman in the NHL last year.

Right or wrong, whether he should win / should have own the Norris was and is in massive dispute.

Burns on the other hand, I think you have to be a homer not to vote for him this season.

Points to both of you. It seems I was wrong. My bad.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
its honestly so funny that when a canadian defensemen runs away with the scoring lead its unanimous but when Karlsson does it we have to reevaluate what we really want the norris to represent.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
its honestly so funny that when a canadian defensemen runs away with the scoring lead its unanimous but when Karlsson does it we have to reevaluate what we really want the norris to represent.

Honestly. What is Burns doing this year that is different than what Karlsson did in others? Yet everyone wants Burns to win and for EK not to.

Is it because of their respective fanbases?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
If its just off points, then yes. If they actually take the whole concept of work it takes to be a Dman (lol) then I would think Suter has to be up there as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad