Is Brayden Schenn as good as Cody Hodgson?

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Brayden Schenn is one of the youngest players eligible for the 2009 draft, he's currently on pace for 83 points over 68 games. He will finish the season 6 months younger than Hodgson was last year, in his draft season.

Schenn also started his junior career with a much better rookie season than Hodgson.

Two different leagues, but similar stats.

It'll be interesting to see what the perception of Schenn will be next year, after the WJC.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Are you asking is he as good of a player now? Then no.
Schenn this year over Hodgson last year is debatable though.

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Two different players, similar in that these "two-way" or "complete" forwards seem to have a lack of offensive ability in the eyes of many.

I assume you're comparing this years Schenn to last years Hodgson? I would say Schenn is better, bringing the physicality side into play puts him over the top IMO.

On a side note: Hodgson was probably my favourite prospect from last years draft, Schenn is this year. I fall head over heels for those character kids.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
I think their respective development is very similar.

Hodgson last year and Schenn this year is a good comparison and hard to pinpoint who was better in each respective draft year.

The difference comes after the draft. Hodgson went beyond expectations after his draft and developed explosively IMO.

After the draft Schenn could keep his current developmental pace or slow down or really hit the ball out of the park. You'd have to see what happens after Schenn gets drafted as not a lot of players develop like Hodgson has after he was drafted.

AgentNaslund*

sures why not. Hodgson is nothing. 60 point player down the road.

eldiablo17

Aug 22, 2007
Could he be? Sure, I wouldn't bet on it though.

Ever since Hodgson was drafted he has exceeded expectation from Canucks camp to the OHL to the WJC. Schenn could do what Cody is now, next year but I think thats an absolute best case scenario which is never the likeliest. But then who knows what will happen 3/4 years from now.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
It's a great comparison. Schenn likely had a better rookie year than Hodgson, but Hodgson has been so good in his year after the draft, Brayden will have to go ome to match that. Schenn is more physical, they're pretty close on speed i think? Both real good leaders and future NHL captains...going to be fun watching them battle each other in the NHL. I'm biased so I'll pick Schenner!!!!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
If you'd read enough threads around here, you'd know that nobody in the world is better than Cody Hodgson.

So no.

Cal Vandelay

Apr 1, 2008
If Brayden Schenn was as good as Hodsgen he would have been on team Canada.

Hodsgen is going to be one of a kind.

AUC2MIC

Dec 24, 2008
How do you figure?

Just because he is an accomplished two way player means his offensive potential is limited?

Judging from his avatar, username and location I would say that he was being sarcastic... but it's not such an absurd statement that the sarcasm obvious

Default101

Absolutely not. I like Schenn, but he's not going to be able to play quite at the level of Hodgson, i think Vancouver is regretting sending him back alittle.

ugotmybeef*

B.Schenn is better than Hodgson. Hodgson's nearly 2 years older than the kid.

Default101

Why would they be regretting it exactly?

Because he probably could have turned out to be one of the players in the Calder race, I honestly believe if they put Hodgson in a top 6 situation he could have shined this season. With what they have it might have been difficult to fit him in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad