Speculation: Is Bobrovsky getting CP money?

Would you sign Bob for $10.5m a year if you were GM?

• Total voters

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
CP so far has earned every cent of his contract. CP is on another level, just like McDavid is on another level as a skater.

Bob is probably not getting CP’s money, but I think he’ll get close. My bet is 7 years/70 millions

That’s not true. Saying Price is the McDavid of goalies probably makes the contract easier to swallow, but it just isn’t true. Price isn’t head and shoulders above every other goalie in the league.

He’s a top-tier goalie, for sure, but he’s not the clear-cut best with no debate. Certainly not to the extent that it would justify committing double-digit AAV (yikes) long-term.

Bergevin stepped on a rake.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
That’s not true. Saying Price is the McDavid of goalies probably makes the contract easier to swallow, but it just isn’t true. Price isn’t head and shoulders above every other goalie in the league.

He’s a top-tier goalie, for sure, but he’s not the clear-cut best with no debate. Certainly not to the extent that it would justify committing double-digit AAV (yikes) long-term.

Bergevin stepped on a rake.

Players disagree with what you just said. Every year, the players and coaches are polled about different topics and it’s been 5 years now that Price is considered the hardest goalie to be beaten by a landslide. He got between 49% and 40% of the votes every single time. That’s McDavid territory.

I’ll take what coaches, GM and especially players who has to play against him says above what a fan who watch him maybe 5 times a year.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Players disagree with what you just said. Every year, the players and coaches are polled about different topics and it’s been 5 years now that Price is considered the hardest goalie to be beaten by a landslide. He got between 49% and 40% of the votes every single time. That’s McDavid territory.

I’ll take what coaches, GM and especially players who has to play against him says above what a fan who watch him maybe 5 times a year.

Player votes mean more than on-ice production?

Whatever, man. The contract is totally worth it. Worth every penny. :eyeroll:

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Sure, Id be willing to give him Carey Price money but not Price term. I'd offer 3 years for 11 per year (just to be clear, i know thats alot of money and no goalie is worth that, but id rather pay more today for short term than pay him 8 a year for 8 years)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Player votes mean more than on-ice production?

Whatever, man. The contract is totally worth it. Worth every penny. :eyeroll:

On-ice production? Have you seen him play? He’s been stellar. At one point when Weber was still injured Montreal iced one top 4 D, two top 6 and 3 guys who either finished the year in Laval or were waived off multiple times.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
On-ice production? Have you seen him play? He’s been stellar. At one point when Weber was still injured Montreal iced one top 4 D, two top 6 and 3 guys who either finished the year in Laval or were waived off multiple times.

Of course I've seen him play.

Blackwood looked fantastic behind a near-AHL defense in the latter half of this year, too. That isn't a trait unique to Carey Price.

If you're sticking by the McDavid comparison, be my guest. I maintain it's a ridiculous comparison, and that you're doing your best to justify an embarrassingly bad contract.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think he gets around 8-9M but for the term id go no longer than 5. let's see how the rest of the POs go to b/c the biggest knock on Bob was his playoff resume

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Blackwood looked fantastic behind a near-AHL defense in the latter half of this year, too. That isn't a trait unique to Carey Price.

If you're sticking by the McDavid comparison, be my guest. I maintain it's a ridiculous comparison, and that you're doing your best to justify an embarrassingly bad contract.

Embarrassingly bad contract? Let’s be honest, any long term contract signed by a superstar has been considered bad on these boards forever. Remember how “bad” the Draisaitl contract was two years ago? Look how good it looks now.

With the cap rising, there’s a lot of player who earns at least 10m a year and a lot more who are going to. However, the amount is irrelevant, it’s the % of total cap taken by a player that really matters. Deals like Price, Draisaitl, Doughty, Tavares, Matthews (not so much because it’s only 5 years) Eichel etc.. are all meant to be “bad” in the first few years but tend to turn into “very good” deals or even steal in the second half of their contracts.

People don’t like Price contract because it’s the first to break the 10m barrier but what people doesn’t know is Price’s cap implication in his first contract year (2018-2019 / 12.65% of the cap) is barely higher than Lundqvist’s was in his first contract year (2014-2015 / 12.31% of the cap), Tuuka Rask’s contract (2013-2014 / 10.68% of the cap) or even Bobrosvki’s (2015-2016 / 10.64% of the cap).

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
I hope he stays in Columbus.

But.

Given his recent success do you think he is getting Carey Price type of money from whoever signs him?

Personally I think that paying $10.5m/year to any goalie is still ridiculous.

Not even Carey Price should have gotten Carey Price money. Dropping that much money into a goalie is ludicris. So I will have to agree with you on your last point.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I suppose he could pursue that amount on the open market. I would be opposed to giving a goalie that much money these days. It is a different era than 20 years ago when the likes of Roy-Hasek-Brodeur-Belfour dominated the league.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Especially with the playoffs he is having, he likely will get big money and it will, like Price, be a big mistake by whoever decides to do it. Although it shouldn't be as much.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If Bobrovsky is getting CP money he should be more worried about the FBI than his contract negotiations.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Would I pay a goalie that much as a GM? no. Does that mean an actual gm wont? no. These goombas are bound to give Bob a crazy contract on the free market.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Maybe if he is willing to take a 5 year deal instead of a 7 year one

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

To add to my point, if you are subscribed to the Athletic, you might want to check this article: On the Vezina: Using deeper data to re-evaluate the...

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Not sure if this was already posted... Latest NHLPA results:

Best Forward:
McDavid - 63.6%
Crosby - 17.2%

Best Goalie:
Price - 29.9%
Rinne - 17.3%

Not really the same thing...

NHLPA Player Poll 2018-19

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If he does lead Columbus to the Stanley Cup then I'd offer it to him. Maybe a little more, only if I was and am Columbus though, nobody else.

If I was another team I'd do $6M per season, performance bonuses aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad