Line Combos: Is Bob the problem? The data says no

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I was thinking a bit about Bob this season. His GAA average is not pretty in aggregate, but I think it is a composition effect.

All data from naturalstattrick:
(1) Bob is 10th (out of 27) in the league for save percentage even strength, conditional on 120 minutes played, with a save percentage of .930. He is 8th with Goals Against Average at 1.79 ES.
+ He is second in the league with rush attempts against (21). Moreover, our defense has been so porous that he is 7th in the league in average distance per shot (lower distance=more likely to score on average)

Special team is the issue:
(2) For goalies in the league with at least minutes on the PK, he is 19th in save percentage. But, he is leading the league in the number of HDshots against (15), second in the league for time on ice against.
(3) He is 17th in the league for save percentage on the power-play and is 2nd in the league for high danger shots against (3)

How do I read this? Bob is middling on the special teams, but I would likely attribute this to our bad D depth. Instead, he is a top 10 goalie on even strength. Agree/disagree?

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Aside from the first 2 years, I don't think Bob's performance has been the issue overall.

It's his contract value which doesn't equal his performance value. Again, as a whole. You can't pluck things he did to justify the contract. It just doesn't work like that.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Bob was not good in the Jets game and was plenty good enough in every other game for us to win. I’d argue every goal he gave up yesterday was on the team and not him.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
Has not lost us a game yet but also not really stole one for us. Not what you expect from a 10-mil goalie. But he is definitely not the main reason for our high GAA at the start of this season

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
This model doesn't like him:

1698008663657.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad