Is being single selfish?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I just got told off by my sister for being single. Well to be more precise she called me selfish because I said that I have no plans on getting married and having kids. In case you are wondering she is married with a couple of kids herself. I think she sees me with having few responsibilities and greater freedom than she has and doesn't believe it to be fair.

I guess it can be considered selfish if you believe our sole purpose in life is to reproduce. However, I am just happier being single and am not looking for a long term relationship. Of course there are times when it would be nice to come home to someone but those thoughts are few and far between.

It was never an issue until I reached 30. Then the questions started coming from certain family members. The funny thing is my parents don't care at all!

I feel bad for women though. They must have twice as much pressure as we men do.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You could easily make an argument that you not contributing to an increased global population is actually a positive thing.

She should be thanking you for your selfless deed.

Chris Hagen*

I didn't read the op, but in response to the title: Absolutely not.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I too was told by my sister I was selfish for not wanting kids. I consider it selfless to not have kids. I don't owe the world a god damn thing. You're welcome for taking up less future resources and making you have to buy less christmas and birthday presents.

Chris Hagen*

The only reasons to give birth to children are selfishness and ego. If you want children then adopt. There's enough people in the world who need a good family, or in fact, any family.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I just got told off by my sister for being single. Well to be more precise she called me selfish because I said that I have no plans on getting married and having kids. In case you are wondering she is married with a couple of kids herself. I think she sees me with having few responsibilities and greater freedom than she has and doesn't believe it to be fair.

I guess it can be considered selfish if you believe our sole purpose in life is to reproduce. However, I am just happier being single and am not looking for a long term relationship. Of course there are times when it would be nice to come home to someone but those thoughts are few and far between.

It was never an issue until I reached 30. Then the questions started coming from certain family members. The funny thing is my parents don't care at all!

I feel bad for women though. They must have twice as much pressure as we men do.

As someone who wants to get married and have kids some day... no, no it's not :laugh: You're helping keep the human population down. What's selfish is having a wife and kids and then only focusing on yourself. But if you don't have those, you can't be called selfish for not conforming to the way most of the world runs.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
The only reasons to give birth to children are selfishness and ego. If you want children then adopt. There's enough people in the world who need a good family, or in fact, any family.

so all those parents who had those kids are selfish then... why would I want to adopt children of selfish people, those children are probably selfish too.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
It's your life and your choices to make, not your sisters. She doesn't have to agree with it but she needs to respect it and shut her yap.

Is your sister hot? Asking for a friend (Doland).

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I've always thought being selfish in general isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Just so long as you're not neglecting a kid you have, or pet, etc.

But if you're just a single dude with no obligations to take care of someone or something else, then I don't see what the problem is with being selfish.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
All things are selfish. Real altruism doesn't exist. She got married and had children because that's what she had to do to feel fulfilled. Whatever your reason for being single, I'm sure it is also selfish.

IMO it's wrong for people to equate selfish to bad. Selfishness by itself is neither good nor bad, it simply is

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Are you sure she said that you're selfish because you're single, and not that you're single because you're selfish?

But+where+is+the+jeep+_f661c66c20aab96b261b4fa10ce11903.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad