Is anybody in favor for giving players who turn 18 after September 15 the chance to sign in the NHL?

Sundance

You Can Never Get To
Sep 7, 2010
Lillyhammer
There's been a lot of top players that would've been NHL ready at 18, but never got the chance. Matthews scored 40 goals at 19. No doubt he would've been NHL ready at 18. But with the current draft rules they gave Laine a head start, as he was able to come in as a 18 year old.

Oh and you never know about Tavares. It could've been that he was in a slump instead back in 09-10 and would've done better in 08-09. Plus he would've most likely played for Tampa instead if he was drafted a year earlier. That would've boosted his numbers for sure...

Stamkos couldn't crack 50 as a rookie on that Lightning team, so I doubt Tavares does.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Why couldn't I have started to collect on my pension at age 30? I've missed out on and am missing out on prime years of not having to work and get paid. Why can't I defer my work period to age 150 to 200? I'll gladly work then. The world is ageist, sexist, lazyist, entitledist, and bigoted against all my needs. I want it all now and I don't want to have wait for it because I'm special, and I have needs. I have special needs, gosh darn it.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I think that the year theyy turn 18 should be their draft year. It's weird that a guy like Auston Matthews would have to wait a year, because he missed the cutoff date by a couple of days.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I think that the year theyy turn 18 should be their draft year. It's weird that a guy like Auston Matthews would have to wait a year, because he missed the cutoff date by a couple of days.

You have to put the cut-off some place. If you put it on Dec 31st, it is unfair to the guy born Jan 1st. I think they have given good reasons to put it where it is here, as in must be 18 by the time camp starts, 'cause NHL cannot have child labour (fulltime.)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Legalities of a pro contract i guess.

In the nba for comparison, jermaine ONeal was born mid October and played in the nba in the year he turned 18.
Lebron, born December 30, 1984 was drafted in 2003, year he turned 19. Dwight Howard also with a December birthday. Drafted in year he turned 19 as well. Seems like the cutoff of sometime in October for nba guys.

Not sure if there was a cutoff for school in the USA. In BC it was always calendar year. I have a bunch of friends born late December in the same year as I was and we all went to school at the same time. I knew someone born in the southern US with a September birthday and she started K in the year she turned 6.

So the nba seems very much be like the nhl where you have to be 18 by the start of the season.

Last edited:

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Tavares tried to petition the NHL to let him enter the draft in '08 because his birthday was so close to the cutoff and he already had played 4 years in the OHL.

In retrospect I almost wish they had allowed him to. Then maybe right now we have with Pietrangelo and Hedman instead of just Bailey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad