Is any team in the league as prepared for the long-term future down the middle as NJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
** mainly discussing top-6 **

I see a lot about how center tends to be the most important position when discussing value and building a contender. NJ has so happened to win two by luck (1st overalls).

Without sitting down to check every team and their potential picks - is any team as set for the future down the middle as NJ?

1st overall in 2017 - Nico Hischier.

People comment on if he was worth the pick or who theyd redraft - but that doesnt chsnge how impressive Hischier has been at 18-20 years old. Hitting 52 and pacing 55 on an injury riddled team while being the teams only even player (team had -52 differential). All as the 1C!

1st overall in 2019 - Jack Hughes

A consensus #1 pick for almost four years now, Hughes is as close to a modern day firecracker as you can get. Hes an offensive dynamo breaking records left and right. His playstyle is exciting as well as his ability to make plays every time he has the puck. Best offensive potential from the draft since McDavid and Matthews.

Now also add in how well they complement each others skillsets and having two 1Cs down the middle - Id be hard pressed to find a better, young duo down the middle. Not to mention theyre only 20 and 17!!

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Canucks with Petterson as their 1c, Horvat as 2c, either one of Gaudette or Madden as 3c / 4c.

Pettersson and Horvat are self-explanatory. Gaudette and Madden are still unproven, but the 2nd half of last season Gaudette took a step forward and showed moments where he can produce. If he can take another step this year, he'll be the 3c going forward. Madden showed great potential in his freshman year of college even having a better year than some 1st rounders in the same draft. Also showed pretty well at the WJC. We'll see what he can accomplish moving forward.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Canucks with Petterson as their 1c, Horvat as 2c, either one of Gaudette or Madden as 3c / 4c.

Pettersson and Horvat are self-explanatory. Gaudette and Madden are still unproven, but the 2nd half of last season Gaudette took a step forward and showed moments where he can produce. If he can take another step this year, he'll be the 3c going forward. Madden showed great potential in his freshman year of college even having a better year than some 1st rounders in the same draft. Also showed pretty well at the WJC. We'll see what he can accomplish moving forward.
If were includibg 3-4C, id certainly take Zachas still skyhigh potential as hes already a 3C defensively (our Zajac replacement)

Horvat < Hischier IMO which makes Bo the lowest of the four

Reactions: stingo

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Yes.

Edmonton
Tampa Bay
Toronto
Florida
Buffalo
Winnipeg

just to name a few that are as good or better

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Wait until Hughes actually does something in the NHL before making a thread like this.

And even if Hughes becomes a perennial All-Star, New Jersey is going nowhere with that tire fire of a defense.
Why would that matter? Its about preparation im not saying ‘does NJ have the best center depth in the league’

How many teams have a Hughes-level talent as their 2C? And one thats turning 18 lol

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
Buffalo? Toronto’s 1C is too old for this conversation. Winnipeg... Really?

The others are good choices

I think
Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt
Scheifele and Roslovic
are pretty good combinations for the future

Toronto you could have Marner Matthews Nylander if you think Tavares is too old.

Reactions: Fitzy

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think
Eichel, Reinhart, Mittelstadt
Scheifele and Roslovic
are pretty good combinations for the future
Fair enough, I wouldnt put Reinhart above Hischier in a year or two but thats just me personally.

And come on now, Roslovic doesnt touch either of the Devils. Thats a major stretch to have a 25 pt guy whos 2-4 years older

Reactions: Grabner

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Mcdavid/Draisaitl is easily the best.

Mackinnon/4th pick, also a very very good young 1-2 punch assuming they take a center

Barkov/Trocheck, and Eichel/Mitts are two more that are young and just as good if not better.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
What an odd thread. There are a bunch of teams that have good 1/2 young centers.

And now you're getting all offended because the thread isn't turning out how you liked.
Were having perfectly fine conversation and the only post here that is offended seems to be you

Go ahead, name the teams hot shot

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Mcdavid/Draisaitl is easily the best.

Mackinnon/4th pick, also a very very good young 1-2 punch assuming they take a center

Barkov/Trocheck, and Eichel/Mitts are two more that are young and just as good if not better.
Id be fine including Draisaitl if he played their consistently. But doesnt he slide to wing for almost half the season? And what happened to RNH as 2C, thatd probably constitute a discussion as well

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Id be fine including Draisaitl if he played their consistently. But doesnt he slide to wing for almost half the season? And what happened to RNH as 2C, thatd probably constitute a discussion as well
Well the plan and what everyone wants to do is play Draisaitl on the 2nd line. That is the way we are set up the best for success. But the lack of (any) good wingers is apparent. Both Mcdavid and Leon both take a huge hit when playing away from each other due to the shitty linemates, Leon a lot moreso. Connor always has one of Nuge or Drai with him which leaves one of the two as the poor sucker centering the 2nd line with the likes of Lucic/Puljujarvi/Gagner etc.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hughes might not even be a center.

Teams like Tampa and Toronto have an elite, relatively young veteran and an elite young center in their top 6.

Florida is also interesting game with Barkov and Trochek. Not as good as the other 2, but they're younger overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis