Is Anthony who saw Rangers v. Islanders for free at MSG in 1978 here?

ObliviousFool

Oct 2, 2009
I know this is super random but it's the Internet so you never know… About 20 years ago my favorite band Phish announced they were playing New Year's Eve at MSG after taking years off and saying they would never play a show again. I was only 19 or so years old and could not afford the thousands of dollars tickets were going for so my buddy had an idea to scalp tickets to the Knicks game the night before and hide in MSG. He had gone to a different show a few weeks before and had found a pretty solid hiding spot. There was five of us and our Knicks tickets were in different locations but towards the end of the fourth quarter we met at our hiding spot and ended up staying there for 22 hours until we heard people being let in for Phish. When we popped out we were in a general admission section and had pulled it off! The most memorable thing for me was something that was written on the wall in our hiding spot......

"Anthony saw Rangers v Islanders for free" and then there was a date in 1978. All I remember is the month, but if the real Anthony is here and you know what month it was that would be pretty great!

If this is not appropriate to put there and someone could give me a better suggestion as to where I could put it please do.

IMG_0385.JPG

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
That is one hell of a story. Epic.

And this is the type of stuff you could pull off back then. Much harder these days. Awesome.

Also curious where the hiding spot was

ObliviousFool

Oct 2, 2009
This is fantastic. Where did you hide out?
I have not been to MSG in quite some time but for concerts the upper section was usually general admission and there was a concession area that wrapped around the outside of that section accessible by sets of double doors. In that concession area there was another door off to the side that if you opened it up there was just some stairwells going I think up and down. There were two or three sets that went up to a door that was locked with the light on but one of the landings was really large and had a railing that if you looked over it looks like a bottomless pit but if you were prepared with a flashlight you could see that it was only a 5 foot drop to a 10x15 foot with some ducting and a lot of dust. More than enough room for five people to chill out and the landing was so huge that a couple times we heard people going up the stairs to that mystery door they never even came close enough to the railing to even consider there were people down there. Out of the four men and one lady I believe all four men went up to that high start set and Peed on that top landing near that mystery door. It's not something I'm very proud of but it had to happen. We had a couple of those old nature valley granola bars but the wrappers were so noisy we were afraid to open them. The female that was with us took a couple drags from a cigarette that kind of pissed me off but it all worked out. When you start hitting that like 15 to 20 hour mark where you're just sitting there wondering if you're going to get arrested or have the best night of your life there were definitely some interesting emotions flying around but I'll never forget the feeling of coming down that stairwell opening the door into that concession area and having no one see us and realizing that we were as in the show as anyone else there. We did try to go back a couple weeks later and tag the spot with a marker but a security guard caught us in the concession area trying to go through that first door.

Where did you go to relieve yourselves?
Answered here.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I have not been to MSG in quite some time but for concerts the upper section was usually general admission and there was a concession area that wrapped around the outside of that section accessible by sets of double doors. In that concession area there was another door off to the side that if you opened it up there was just some stairwells going I think up and down. There were two or three sets that went up to a door that was locked with the light on but one of the landings was really large and had a railing that if you looked over it looks like a bottomless pit but if you were prepared with a flashlight you could see that it was only a 5 foot drop to a 10x15 foot with some ducting and a lot of dust. More than enough room for five people to chill out and the landing was so huge that a couple times we heard people going up the stairs to that mystery door they never even came close enough to the railing to even consider there were people down there. Out of the four men and one lady I believe all four men went up to that high start set and Peed on that top landing near that mystery door. It's not something I'm very proud of but it had to happen. We had a couple of those old nature valley granola bars but the wrappers were so noisy we were afraid to open them. The female that was with us took a couple drags from a cigarette that kind of pissed me off but it all worked out. When you start hitting that like 15 to 20 hour mark where you're just sitting there wondering if you're going to get arrested or have the best night of your life there were definitely some interesting emotions flying around but I'll never forget the feeling of coming down that stairwell opening the door into that concession area and having no one see us and realizing that we were as in the show as anyone else there. We did try to go back a couple weeks later and tag the spot with a marker but a security guard caught us in the concession area trying to go through that first door.

Answered here.
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder with the renovation if that area even exists at this point.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019

Answered here.
Hey, why are you telling people my ol' spot where I would..uh...er...go and have parties with scantily clad models! Haha, yeah that's it! You uh, didn't find a couple of Playboy magazines down there, r-r-right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad