Is Andrei Vasilevsky Already a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

Is Andrei Vasilevsky Already a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

• Yes

Votes: 139 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 20.6%

• Total voters

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Finishing top-5 in Sv% 3 times in his 15-year career certainly does sound like the best goalie of an era, absolutely. The bestest.

But he did get voted "most likely to succeed" in a couple of the yearbooks the NHLPA puts out. Doesn't that count just as much as actually succeeding? :sarcasm:

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love
interesting question. I think he just needs a few more seasons. Even if the rest of his career is mediocre - he's probably done enough so far. Just needs to tack on maybe 3 more seasons. Not sure if that sounds odd. Probably in line with the thinking of what kept Lindros and Bure out of the Hall for a bit.

EDIT: Making up #s here... but like I feel like he needs 300 wins, and like 400+ games started.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He pretty much is the best goaltender of his genereation, and heir of Carey Price

Marc-Andre Fleury, Pekka Rinne, Henrik Lundqvist, Jonathan Quick, Roberto Luongo, Tuukka Rask and a few others... it's not like Carey Price was far and away the best goalie of his generation. He might have had the best 2-3 years peak but no Cup, no Conn Smythe and only won trophies in one season

Vasilevskiy started when Price was already a veteran but he has been better for 5 seasons now. "Carey is the best" is very old news.

Reactions: MBrodeur

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Not to make this thread about something else, but I don't understand the notion that Vasilevsky was somehow robbed of the Vezina last year. Fleury posted the superior numbers in every major statistical category except for wins. If Vasilevsky had won it, he would have been deserving as well, but he certainly wasn't cheated.

That being said, I voted "yes" to this poll. It's impressive that in the relatively short amount of time he's been in the league, he's already clearly done enough to earn a spot in the Hall.

I don't have an issue with Fleury winning, my biggest gripe with that result was that 4 GMs left Vasilevskiy off their ballot completely, and there were some weird votes (Hellebuyck got two first place votes, Mike Smith got two 3rd place votes). I don't think it ends up making a huge difference but it brings into question the conflict of interest in having GMs vote on the award.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
No way, not yet.

Not sure people are fully understanding the question when voting yes. Yes he very likely WILL be, but if he retired tomorrow he's not going into the HoF as only playing 350 or so games.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yes. Too time cup champ. 8 straight series wins. Multiple shut outs in clinchers. Conn smythe.

Leafs don’t stand a chance

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't have an issue with Fleury winning, my biggest gripe with that result was that 4 GMs left Vasilevskiy off their ballot completely, and there were some weird votes (Hellebuyck got two first place votes, Mike Smith got two 3rd place votes). I don't think it ends up making a huge difference but it brings into question the conflict of interest in having GMs vote on the award.
Yeah - and he is one of the few goalies in history to not win the Vezina yet end up as the First Team All-Star. I think it's only happened twice since the Vezina has been voted on.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Tim Thomas isn't one then no, Vas is not a HOF'er already
Yeah, pretty much.

He's getting there, but not quite. Like not if he retired today. He could play 7 more years and not win another cup and maybe not even another Vezina and probably still get in, or he could even play even less than that and win more cups/Vezina and get in, but if he never played another game after this season, he's probably not getting in. Maybe if he wins a third cup in a row on the way out then MAYBE.

But if you look at someone like Patrick Roy or Marty Brodeur, both had won two cups by Vasilevskiy's age (Brodeur was just about to win his second cup, actually and Roy just won his second), Brodeur actually hadn't won a single Vezina yet, but Roy had already won 3 Vezina's and he woudn't even win another again after that.

And I don't even think those guys would have been locks for the hall of fame if they had never played a game again after 27. Roy had already won 2 of his Conn Smythe's by that point to go along with his two cups and he had 3 Vezina wins, so maybe he's getting in if he retires at 28? Brodeur definitely wouldn't have.

This is just to break down for you that it's pretty hard to get into the hall of fame for ANY player at ANY position that doesn't play past 27-28 years old.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Andrei Vasilevsky is one of the best Goaltender of the modern generation, and I think despite the fact that it's extremely hard to make the Hall of Fame as a Goaltender, If Vasilevsky retired this Year, He would still be Inducted.

2 Cups
A Conn Smythe
1 Vezina (Would have been 2 if it weren't for the Fleury Vezina Narrative last year)
His record is 229-101-24 with a .919 SV% and a 2.50 GAA with 28 Shutouts.

Does this guy have enough to make it in yet?
Let's Discuss.
Gotta love the classic "he would have won it last year too, if that other guy didn't play better than him"

Yes, he is a hall of famer already.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He blows Price out of the water.

On equal teams, a younger Price >= Vasi
Post automatically merged:

Marc-Andre Fleury, Pekka Rinne, Henrik Lundqvist, Jonathan Quick, Roberto Luongo, Tuukka Rask and a few others... it's not like Carey Price was far and away the best goalie of his generation. He might have had the best 2-3 years peak but no Cup, no Conn Smythe and only won trophies in one season

Vasilevskiy started when Price was already a veteran but he has been better for 5 seasons now. "Carey is the best" is very old news.

Because the Lightning = Bergevin's Habs, amIrite?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
First ballot imo. At 27 he doesn't have much left to prove and might get some ok stat padding on that awful :P Tampa team. I like his chances at another Cup tbh. Just not this year.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
He needs another Vezina and/or CS.

That, or a few more years where he is a Vezina finalist.

I don't agree with the notion that he could just be average from here on out and still get inducted.

The Hall is more strict on goalies.

jn

May 12, 2006
Sure, Hašek was older when he became the best in the world. All Vasilevsky needs to do is to move another half dozen or so tiers up.
Hasek was the best goaltender in Europe (and quite possibly the world) even before he moved to the NHL. Chicago had Belfour so they didn't go with the unorthodox guy but it's not like Hasek suddenly developed a lot in his late twenties, he was already world class since a young age.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hasek was the best goaltender in Europe (and quite possibly the world) even before he moved to the NHL. Chicago had Belfour so they didn't go with the unorthodox guy but it's not like Hasek suddenly developed a lot in his late twenties, he was already world class since a young age.
His early NHL numbers were pretty run of the mill. I do think there was an adjustment period (and perhaps part of that was coaches also had to adjust to him).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Because of this thing called context?

Well, you're missing the point : why say the "Bergevin's Habs"? I have been in Quebec for a long time now and it's just been "another NHL team" for a while now... I know it's hard to accept for the nostalgic people but outside of that, I have no idea why you'd limit this to the "Bergevin's Habs"

Yes team success doesn't happen for everybody but it doesn't change the point I was making. For example, A guy I didn't even mention yet, Bobrovsky didn't play on great teams too (until now) but he won 2 Vezinas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad