Is Andrei Vasilevsky Already a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

Is Andrei Vasilevsky Already a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

• Yes

Votes: 139 79.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 20.6%

• Total voters

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Andrei Vasilevsky is one of the best Goaltender of the modern generation, and I think despite the fact that it's extremely hard to make the Hall of Fame as a Goaltender, If Vasilevsky retired this Year, He would still be Inducted.

2 Cups
A Conn Smythe
1 Vezina (Would have been 2 if it weren't for the Fleury Vezina Narrative last year)
His record is 229-101-24 with a .919 SV% and a 2.50 GAA with 28 Shutouts.

Does this guy have enough to make it in yet?
Let's Discuss.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
I know people hate Wins, but it’s worth noting that he has led the league in Wins for 5 consecutive seasons.

Matches the same run by Sawchuk and only Benedict did it longer (6 consecutive seasons in a league with only 4 teams and 18-24 games on the schedule).

Just 23 more playoff wins for the rest of his career slides him in the top 10 all time. If they win the Cup again this season, he’ll be tied with Hasek at #12.

He’s easily already a lock. Not sure if he’ll be a Vezina finalist this season, but if he is, he’ll be one for a fifth consecutive season as well.

He pretty much checks all the boxes which is super impressive considering he’s only 8 seasons into his career and will be entering just his age 28 season next year.

Some might say it’s still too early, but fast forward 10 years and they would agree unanimously if he did mere average compiling from here on out.

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgreeen

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Not to make this thread about something else, but I don't understand the notion that Vasilevsky was somehow robbed of the Vezina last year. Fleury posted the superior numbers in every major statistical category except for wins. If Vasilevsky had won it, he would have been deserving as well, but he certainly wasn't cheated.

That being said, I voted "yes" to this poll. It's impressive that in the relatively short amount of time he's been in the league, he's already clearly done enough to earn a spot in the Hall.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He has the accolades and team success already. Just needs to play out the string at this point. An early retirement might affect it but he’s almost certainly going to be in by the time he retires

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Not to make this thread about something else, but I don't understand the notion that Vasilevsky was somehow robbed of the Vezina last year. Fleury posted the superior numbers in every major statistical category except for wins. If Vasilevsky had won it, he would have been deserving as well, but he certainly wasn't cheated.

That being said, I voted "yes" to this poll. It's impressive that in the relatively short amount of time he's been in the league, he's already clearly done enough to earn a spot in the Hall.

It’s just weirdos crying foul over what amounted to a very close result. Could have went either way for awhile and maybe if it was a longer season, the end result would have played out differently.

That being said, it was a classic “down the stretch results” that tilted it in the other’s favor for sure.

Fleury went 9-0 with 2 shutouts and only let up 13 goals in his final 9 starts.

In the same time frame, Vasilevskiy went 6-4 in 10 starts, let up 29 goals, and got bombed against Florida in his final 2 starts (9 goals on 65 shots).

The voting was close as is. If Vasilevskiy played just a little bit better at the end and didn’t let up 3+ goals 6 times in 10 games while his direct competitor let up 2 or less in every game, he would have earned the necessary votes to swing it his way.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Longevity is key. Tim Thomas has an equally impressive resume but isn’t in the Hall because he had a short peak.

Both have a Smythe. Vasi has 2 cups to Thomas' 1.

Vezina finishes
Vasi: 1,2,3,3
Thomas: 1,1,9

Top 10 wins
Vasi: 1,1,1,1,1
Thomas: 5,6,9

Vasis resume is clearly better. Thomas was great for 2 seasons and had his "political" off ice issues.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I voted a technical no just by lack of completed resume. I still think you can play your way out of it if he somehow manages to play 5-6 subpar seasons.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If Tim Thomas isn't one then no, Vas is not a HOF'er already

Tim Thomas is one to me because I think 5 seasons (mainly consecutive) of extraordinary play is enough. Thomas mostly did that.

2 of his seasons were all time great seasons, he won 2 Vezinas, and he did it all past the age of 33 to give his story some extra sizzle. He had a top 5 Hart nod. He had a staggering Conn Smythe Cup winning run. His play against Carolina two years prior would have won the series for most teams. He should absolutely be a Hall of Famer. Just because it was a short run doesn’t make it any less noteworthy.

But Vasilevskiy is already worthy of being one because:

1. He has a Vezina and pending this seasons’ results, he could be a Vezina finalist for the 5th season in a row. He has also led the league in Wins 5 consecutive seasons. He has clearly been top 1-3 at his position for a handful of years already.

2. He has 2 Cups and he was elite in back to back runs. He has the Conn Smythe. If he repeats any of his play during these current playoffs, his case has to be a lock for the few remaining people holding out.

3. His play in close out games is absolutely nuts. He has a shutout in the closing game in his last 5 series. That is unbelievable. The 2 series before those saw him let up 1 goal and then 2 goals. He is absolute money in the playoffs and no matter how deep and talented Tampa Bay is and how much COVID may or may not play some role, he has backstopped his team into a position where they have not lost a series in over 3 years!

4. I’m being generous with Thomas’ 2009-2010 season and probably most of his career. I actually understand the people who want to boil his career down to just 2008-2009 and 2010-2011.

Thomas is worthy in my eyes because I prefer and remember more when someone is electric for a short time rather than someone playing 10-20 years at merely a good to very good level.

Vasi has absolutely already made his case and it’s far more convincing.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Both have a Smythe. Vasi has 2 cups to Thomas' 1.

Vezina finishes
Vasi: 1,2,3,3
Thomas: 1,1,9

Top 10 wins
Vasi: 1,1,1,1,1
Thomas: 5,6,9

Vasis resume is clearly better. Thomas was great for 2 seasons and had his "political" off ice issues.
No one one votes based on second or third or top ten finishes. It’s about how many you win.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted no - but its really about longevity. He has all the "high end stuff" play out more seasons and yes he easily makes it

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I say vasilevsky is HOF worthy atm. with the arrival of shesty and sorokin, vasilevsky might not see another vezina. Not saying he won’t win another vezina, but it’s going to be hard.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I voted no simply because he doesn't have enough seasons in my opinion. He could cruise his way to the HoF though by simply being good to average for the rest of his career.

Reactions: Bleedred

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad