Is Alexander Barkov a Hall of Fame talent?

Is Barkov Hall of Fame talent

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Obviously still early to judge his career. But often we talk about Hall of Fame careers and Hall of Fame talents.

Barkov has a shot to carve out a Hall of Fame career, but a lot of water still to be tread.

But, as a #2 OA pick, do you guys think he's a talent that's Hall of Fame level? Or if he makes it, will it need to be done by sheer career value, as in Marleau?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he’s a Getzlaf, Kopitar, Backstrom type of franchise center who should make the Hall with reasonable longevity. I don’t think he’d make it with a shortened career like Bure or Lindros, but he doesn’t need to be Marleau either. If Florida can do some winning in the next couple years here it would go a long way as well.

SatanicToedrag

Apr 15, 2017
Talent-wise, absolutely. A Stanley Cup ring, Conn Smythe and a few more Selkes wouldn't hurt his chances.

E: Well that's a freak occurence OKR

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
He doesn’t have the trophy case or team success to really justify his placement yet.

That could change in the future but he’d likely have to win the cup

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think he can get in from longevity but he might not get any major trophies.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted no. What is even a hall of fame talent? To me that's more about active players who seem like a surefire hall of famers. Guys like Draisaitl, MacKinnon or Kucherov for example. Barkov simply isn't on their level, and hasn't shown anything to indicate he'll be winning harts, rosses or lindsays anytime soon.

He's more a hall of "very talented player - where if everything goes right and he has a great career, he could make the hall of fame".

He certainly could make the hall of fame. As could Matthews, Marner, Eichel, Panarin, Pastrnak, Rantanen, etc etc. I'm sure a couple of those guys will make the hall of fame, and many won't. Barkov is among that group

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Barkov is only 25 and is well on his way to building the foundation for a HHOF career but some icing like a strong playoff run or two and some finalists for Selke wouldn’t hurt.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
He has a shot, the trajectory is decent. He has the talent and has one Selke already (wouldn't be surprised if he got a couple more). Shit, he has a Lady Byng too - not the most prestigious trophy, but still a trophy, and that always looks nice when building a case. AND, Florida has only recently gotten good, so some deep playoff runs would help with his legacy - not to mention that he's going to be the #1C for Team Finland in best-of-best tournaments for a while, so he might get some medals. I know international achievements (especially non-gold medals) aren't that important for the NHL Hall of Fame, but it all builds up.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Hall of very good until he racks up more Selkes and other hardware. If he stays ppg pace in his career and puts up over 1000 points then maybe he gets in

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Selke is not a major trophy?

In the sense it's usually described in discussions, no. Hart, Art, Vezina, Norris and Lindsay. Rocket is sort of a middling trophy between the "major" and "lesser" trophies.

Reactions: bobholly39

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
How is this not unanimous?
Question is whether Barkov, a Selke-level centre who has scored 90+ points in a season, is a HHOF talent.
Talent.

There have been maybe a dozen players who are legit Selke players who can score at that level.
They are all in the HHOF.

Whether he continues this production and level of play for the majority of his career is debatable and will ultimately determine whether he makes the Hall, but it's not debatable to question whether he has the talent to do it.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Voted no. What is even a hall of fame talent? To me that's more about active players who seem like a surefire hall of famers. Guys like Draisaitl, MacKinnon or Kucherov for example. Barkov simply isn't on their level, and hasn't shown anything to indicate he'll be winning harts, rosses or lindsays anytime soon.

He's more a hall of "very talented player - where if everything goes right and he has a great career, he could make the hall of fame".

He certainly could make the hall of fame. As could Matthews, Marner, Eichel, Panarin, Pastrnak, Rantanen, etc etc. I'm sure a couple of those guys will make the hall of fame, and many won't. Barkov is among that group
You have some incredibly bold takes. This might be your worst yet

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
PPG+ pace and Selke-winning defensive play. All the talent in the world is there. He'll need to keep it up and stay healthy to make it into the Hall of Fame but if he keeps this up, he'd get in eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad