Is Aaron Ekblad a #1 D-man?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
No, he's one of the most overrated players in the league on here. He's a very good defenseman who has the potential to be a franchise guy, but so far his minutes and competition have been somewhat limited compared to true number 1s, and Campbell was the driving player on his pairing

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
No, he's one of the most overrated players in the league on here. He's a very good defenseman who has the potential to be a franchise guy, but so far his minutes and competition have been somewhat limited compared to true number 1s, and Campbell was the driving player on his pairing

Agree with this. Ekblad is a good player and has the potential to be one of the best in the league but he's not there yet.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Very talented kid and will be one for many years but is not quite there yet and there is nothing wrong with that

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Not yet. People underestimate how much time it takes for a D-man to take off. Besides goalie its one of the more cerebral positions in hockey.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
My thoughts exactly. He'll likely be an elite #1 in a few years, but not right now.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
No. I agree with people saying the praise he's received for being so capable at such as young age has lead to Ekblad's abilities being exaggerated.

What he's done at a young age is amazing - no doubt about it. But lets keep some perspective here.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Top pairing material for now.

Doesn't really standout enough in anything for me to say he's a legitimate #1 at this point in time.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No, not yet. But if he stays on the right path, he will be very soon. He's top pairing, but not a number one. Has the potential to be a franchise defenseman.

It will be interesting to see how he performs without Campbell.

Nervous about the massive contract we handed out to him. Basically the same as Hedman, who is way more proven. And it brought 8 years of UFA for Hedman. While only 4 for Ekblad. The hope is that he becomes just as good or better than Hedman. But that is a bit of a risk considering the money we gave him.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Agreed.

He's certainly tracking well and is a very good defenceman with real potential to continue growing into a true Franchise Defenceman - he's got every tool. But his usage has not been that of a true #1D just yet. And i think Campbell is among the most underrated players in the league on here - he's a puck-possession wizard and a very flattering partner.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Ekblad was the most mature and developed 2014 drafted player that was NHL ready. The trick for him now is take another step up to a higher level. This may be harder than it may seem for NHL ready 18 year olds playing in the NHL. He's a #1 pairing D man. Whether he becomes a #1D man that is a Norris trophy candidate, we shall see. Impossible no, maybe, yes.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
I agree with those saying not yet, but he should be able to become one based on his play. But as of now, no, he is not.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Not yet. I would be shocked if he doesn't get there, but he hasn't quite reached that level, yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad