Is 3-on-3 a better way to decided overtime than a shootout?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Inspired by poll question on NBCSN tonight. I am surprised 36% prefer the shootout.

gFFEbhu.jpg

I am guessing in advance we will be closer to 90-10

Discuss

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Better? Yes. Still gimmicky? Absolutely.

I don't like either option to be honest, but it's better.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Spooner-Pasta-Krug

Go all out

What do people think about basically playing 3-2 if the puck is in our own zone just have say Pasta leave the zone and hang at center ice and just hope we don't give up a goal and get a breakaway

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
Better? Yes. Still gimmicky? Absolutely.

I don't like either option to be honest, but it's better.

My exact thoughts as well on this subject of 3 on 3...

And what Ladyfan said is also true....

it is gimmicky but at least it should reduce the dreadful shoot out substantially.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Spooner-Pasta-Krug

Go all out

What do people think about basically playing 3-2 if the puck is in our own zone just have say Pasta leave the zone and hang at center ice and just hope we don't give up a goal and get a breakaway

Too easy to just run a giant three man cycle. Bruins would never get the puck.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
People say you're more likely to see a penalty shot than 3 on 3 during the course of a game but I still think 3 on 3 is a better way to decide a game. But, for the record, I don't like either option. And while I'm at it, the OTL point is dumber than either of these things. What's wrong with a tie?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
People say you're more likely to see a penalty shot than 3 on 3 during the course of a game but I still think 3 on 3 is a better way to decide a game. But, for the record, I don't like either option. And while I'm at it, the OTL point is dumber than either of these things. What's wrong with a tie?

I don't mind the OTL point IF you get 3 points for a regulation win.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't mind the OTL point IF you get 3 points for a regulation win.

This. So many games between rival teams at the end of the year become 3 pointers that it borders on collusion.

Plus I want 4-4 regulation hockey or at least wider rinks. Too much skill is negated 5 on 5.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

I agree. Let it be a tie .

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The more cromulent question is: Will 3v3 cause fewer games to go to the shootout - and if so, is the "loss of shootout gimmick" more than the "gain of gimmick by replacing 4v4 with 3v3", so that we're really improving the game? If you're preventing one shootout per team, but you're getting a lot more 3v3 time....that's not particularly helpful.

I'm optimistic. As long as 3v3 isn't able to be figured out by every coach in the league, we'll see fewer shootouts, which is an excellent thing. The AHL experiment last year was pretty good, but to me one difference is that there's probably more parity in the NHL than the AHL.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
The more cromulent question is: Will 3v3 cause fewer games to go to the shootout - and if so, is the "loss of shootout gimmick" more than the "gain of gimmick by replacing 4v4 with 3v3", so that we're really improving the game? If you're preventing one shootout per team, but you're getting a lot more 3v3 time....that's not particularly helpful.

I'm optimistic. As long as 3v3 isn't able to be figured out by every coach in the league, we'll see fewer shootouts, which is an excellent thing. The AHL experiment last year was pretty good, but to me one difference is that there's probably more parity in the NHL than the AHL.

It's not just the gimmick factor -- the shootout is downright boring. 1 on 1 action, 60 seconds between plays, what play action there is is very simple - skate forward, forehand, backhand, shoot.

The 3 on 3 is fast, team oriented, and there are 6+2 moving players. Definitely much more satisfying for connoisseurs of team sports.

We will see if it devolves into a cycle game or if it is all run & gun as the season develops.

I'd still be ok with tie games, but so far I love the 3 on 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad