Is 2-2-1-1-1 a thing of the past?

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
I notice that Springfield has announced their home dates for the 2nd round of the playoffs, regardless of opponent (which will either be Hershey or Syracuse), and they will be hosting games 1, 2, 6 and 7.

Considering that SPF and SYR are only 229 driving miles apart, I am surprised that they're definitely playing a 2-3-2 series, and it makes me wonder:

Is 2-2-1-1-1 no longer used, regardless of travel distance?
Or, if it is still used, what's the mileage cutoff before switching to 2-3-2?

(Apologies if this has been covered extensively -- I found nothing in a search of this site or the league's website. And since my local team has not participated in the playoffs in 10 years, I am a little "rusty" on the latest procedures. ;) )

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
I know the AHL tweeted someone last year and said that teams that travel by bus between each other would be 2-2-1 and 2-2-1-1-1 while flight series would be 2-3 and 2-3-2

PattyLaLa16

Apr 1, 2006
Rochester, NY
The distance that triggers the 2-3-2 format is 300 miles. So yes very curious to find out why SYR/SPR is a 2-3-2 given they fall below the 300 mile threshold.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
At least they have not tried to do a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 like they were going to do several years ago with Milwaukee and Chicago......

Rumblick

Nov 23, 2004
I - 78
At least they have not tried to do a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 like they were going to do several years ago with Milwaukee and Chicago......

Lol what? Who came up with that idea? Though they are not even an hour apart, no?

Rochester and Hamilton did that at least once, back in 2000. Louisville & Kentucky did the same thing, in a 5-gamer the same year. Must've been something up that year: the Bears Phantoms 5-game set was a 1-3-1 format.

MM658

Feb 7, 2011
Springfield, MA area
The only thing I see on the arena websites for SPF and SYR is a college graduation ceremony in SPF on Sunday, 5/19. I suppose that could have caused issues, since Game 5 is set for that weekend.

1-1-1-1-1-1-1 is actually the most fair format, IMO, and should be used when possible. I could see it being an option for any series where the teams are within a 2-3 hour bus ride from each other. An example would be the Manchester/Springfield series just completed, 127 miles apart. Teams in that situation are probably going to bus it back and forth between each game anyway, unless they're on consecutive nights. So, why not just save on accommodations and per diems and just alternate every game? Certainly, there'd be no compelling reason for, say, ADK/ALB to play 2-here/2-there, or Worcester and Provy.

But I guess at this level, arena availability is more of a driver than competitive fairness or logic. So be it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad