Post-Game Talk: Iron Chef Calgary

3 stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'd be willing to make the swap if the salaries were equal. As underwhelming as Kane was last year he still put up 12 points in 19 games. Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's healed. I am also completely fine with riding it out until December/January when they decide Othmann has had enough time to cook in the AHL. I think he's a taylor-made fit for that line.

Wheeler just looks a few steps slow. And it's more pronounced with how Cuylle and Trocheck have looked so good together. Second Trocheck penalty was almost completely due to Wheeler getting spun like a top in the Rangers zone.
To be fair, Kane played with our best players, averaging 14:36 at EV and 2:53 on the PP. 1/3rd of his points came on the PP.

Wheeler plays with Trocheck and Cuylle, averaging 11:48 at EV and 0:35 on the PP. Trocheck and Cuylle are by no means scrubs, but they aren't Panarin, Mika or Kreider either. Trocheck and Cuylle each have 1 EV point in 6 games, but that line has had opportunities, some of which Wheeler helped to create.

Let's also not make the assumption that Kane will be as good or better than he was last year. We don't know how he will be, but players don't have a good track record coming back from that surgery.

The biggest issue with Kane is ice time. Either he's getting Wheeler's ice time and therefore isn't likely to produce even as much as he did last year (while not being strong defensively), or he's getting more ice time, which likely means taking time away from the kids. I'd rather target someone who is more of a fit as a 3rd line wing, someone who can forecheck and play a heavy game while still chipping in a few points.

Reactions: Peltz and IDvsEGO

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
To be fair, Kane played with our best players, averaging 14:36 at EV and 2:53 on the PP. 1/3rd of his points came on the PP.

Wheeler plays with Trocheck and Cuylle, averaging 11:48 at EV and 0:35 on the PP. Trocheck and Cuylle are by no means scrubs, but they aren't Panarin, Mika or Kreider either. Trocheck and Cuylle each have 1 EV point in 6 games, but that line has had opportunities, some of which Wheeler helped to create.

Let's also not make the assumption that Kane will be as good or better than he was last year. We don't know how he will be, but players don't have a good track record coming back from that surgery.

The biggest issue with Kane is ice time. Either he's getting Wheeler's ice time and therefore isn't likely to produce even as much as he did last year (while not being strong defensively), or he's getting more ice time, which likely means taking time away from the kids. I'd rather target someone who is more of a fit as a 3rd line wing, someone who can forecheck and play a heavy game while still chipping in a few points.

We may have that guy playing in the A right now too.

Now he needs to work his way up but I'd MUCH rather attempt that and live with some of the growing pains than Kane where... You kind of already know how thats going to go.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

My preference would be Othmann replacing Wheeler but we need to acknowledge the possibility of a reunion with Kane

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
thought this game was pretty inconsistent...ups and down, poor start where they looked kinda sloppy and were just making unnecessary and not smart plays, not working with each other. Calgary's goal is entirely on Chytil for trying a really stupid pass in the neutral zone that gets intercepted and then he chases the guy behind the net with Fox instead of covering the guy in front. Just a poor shift by him. Thankfully they steadied themselves and turned it around in the second half of the first period.

Poor Kakko can't buy a point no matter how many great plays he makes. That pass to setup Kreider who setup Zibanejad for what should have been a sure goal was pretty ace. Problem I see with that line is that Zibanejad is a streaky scorer so it's going to be "cold" 5v5 until he heats up and then the points will come. I just hope Lavy leaves them as is until that happens.

3rd period felt too "protect the lead" with a lot of dumb icings and just tossing the puck out when they could have skated it or tried to put on some pressure or keep possession, but the refs let Calgary get away with a bunch of shit right up until the end there so felt like the Rangers just fell back on being conservative. Shesterkin had to make some big saves throughout the game but at least wasn't overall overworked.

Could have been a better game but I'll take the win. 1st and 3rd lines just kinda need a bounce. They're getting some looks but not enough are going in yet.

e: I'm sure he's going to do something monumentally dumb soon but that no one wanted to sign Gustafsson to a decent deal is absurd. As a third pair and 2nd PP guy I'm not sure you can do much better for the cost.

A good deal of Calgary's 5v5 shot advantage was built on the 4th line getting shat on. It's frustrating because it would be a much more serviceable line if they just didn't play Goodrow.

The Trocheck line took it on the chin too, but that I don't mind so much. They've been matching up hard. The Zibanejad line has been driving play much better now that we have a coach not deploying Zibanejad like a 10-time Selke winner.

4th line and 3rd pairing going against the other teams top six is a recipe for a bad time...

Reactions: TheDirtyH

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
My preference would be Othmann replacing Wheeler but we need to acknowledge the possibility of a reunion with Kane
Kane is no Motte, so I don't see Drury trying to bring him back. I also think Laviolette and his staff have a plan and a vision, which is more than Gallant ever brought, so they will engage with Drury and talk over whether Kane fits that plan/vision.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
That was a wretched game in terms of the entertainment value of it lol, first off it seemed like the puck was bouncing all over the place, when the ice is usually excellent in alberta. But outside of late in the first and early in the second the Rangers had a lot of trouble making plays coming up ice and their forecheck was basically non existent. Thankfully they scored those 2 PP goals to take the lead and could focus on protecting their end of the ice. Even so Igor had to step up on a couple of occasions. Take the win though.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kane is no Motte, so I don't see Drury trying to bring him back. I also think Laviolette and his staff have a plan and a vision, which is more than Gallant ever brought, so they will engage with Drury and talk over whether Kane fits that plan/vision.

Dont disagree but I also think Lavy and his staff will actually use Kane properly instead of giving him savior level ice time like Uncle Fester

Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
That was a wretched game in terms of the entertainment value of it lol, first off it seemed like the puck was bouncing all over the place, when the ice is usually excellent in alberta. But outside of late in the first and early in the second the Rangers had a lot of trouble making plays coming up ice and their forecheck was basically non existent. Thankfully they scored those 2 PP goals to take the lead and could focus on protecting their end of the ice. Even so Igor had to step up on a couple of occasions. Take the win though.
Both the Rangers and the Flames are boring ass teams with no skill, so that’s no surprise.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
There is a contingent of people that is noticeably quiet when one of Kakko, Laf or Chytil has a good game.

Interesting.
I expect them to have good games so, uh, congrats to Chytil and Laf for meeting expectations.

Laf's deflection goal is actually kind of bad as a play from Gus. It went in but it was a pure 2 on 4 play as no one else was in good position. Results oriented business though.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We were told to be.

That said... I love Laf getting points. I hope we trade him and get peak value.
It is more of a
I expect them to have good games so, uh, congrats to Chytil and Laf for meeting expectations.

Laf's deflection goal is actually kind of bad as a play from Gus. It went in but it was a pure 2 on 4 play as no one else was in good position. Results oriented business though.

I mean, there are people here who, when we lose and the kids play bad, they go off on the kids. When we win and the kids aren't major factors, they are still sour on the kids. When we lose and the kids play well, they are silent and when we win and the kids produce, they are silent.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Both the Rangers and the Flames are boring ass teams with no skill, so that’s no surprise.

Calling the Rangers a team with no skill was wrong last year and is laughable this year as it looks like Chytil and Lafreniere look to be playing the best hockey of their careers. The Rangers aren't the Avs or even Devils but this post is why it's hard to post on this board with its absurd takes.

That said they don't have enough skill to play a purely offensive game.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Dont disagree but I also think Lavy and his staff will actually use Kane properly instead of giving him savior level ice time like Uncle Fester

The best way to utilize Kane for this team is to stay away from him all together.

He will make any of the top 9 lines worse.

I hope you're right

What I was alluding to before with Laviolette-and-staff's vision and whether Kane fits that vision, is what purpose will the third line ultimately serve. Cuylle-Trocheck-Wheeler seems like a prototype for forecheck jam and sandpaper. Wheeler got top 4 looks in preseason but he started the season on the third line. We even thought he'd be playing with Panarin and Chytil, and Laf would be on the third line. The question is, will the top 2 lines bring enough offense? The second line is doing well, but it's been just 6 games. The top line is doing ok -- the metrics are there if not goals. So, maybe there isn't pressure for the third line right now to chip in more scoring. Bringing in Kane might juice the third line with a better offense threat than Wheeler, but does Kane bring jam and can he backcheck?

effen

Feb 3, 2018
It is more of a

I mean, there are people here who, when we lose and the kids play bad, they go off on the kids. When we win and the kids aren't major factors, they are still sour on the kids. When we lose and the kids play well, they are silent and when we win and the kids produce, they are silent.
Yeah, I get it.

Fun thing about Laf, that backhand cross ice pass to Panarin was great, but the question on him is not his technical passing ability - he's shown its excellent. The question is his ability to perform with less time and space and to maintain intensity. Jury is still out there. So far, so good this year.

Separately, I don't think there's any chance Kane comes back. I think Drury didn't really want him last year and got pressured. I can't imagine how he fits in Lav's system *at all*. Let him go home to Buffalo.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

dunno, depends a bit on whether he saw Laf cruising back in front and shot it as a deflectable puck for that purpose, or was just throwing it at the net

that Kreider goal though...goddamn. you can just tell calgary kinda thought "well he's not in front of the net so I'll come out and cut down on the angle/block any shots and it's no big deal" and left a wide open lane from Panarin to pass to Kreider and that kind of deflection is some jedi shit

Yeah, I get it.

Fun thing about Laf, that backhand cross ice pass to Panarin was great, but the question on him is not his technical passing ability - he's shown its excellent. The question is his ability to perform with less time and space and to maintain intensity. Jury is still out there. So far, so good this year.

Separately, I don't think there's any chance Kane comes back. I think Drury didn't really want him last year and got pressured. I can't imagine how he fits in Lav's system *at all*. Let him go home to Buffalo.
Also kinda agree on Kane. It felt like a pressured move that he wasn't anticipating to make. I don't know if it was a Dolan mandate or that when Kane asid he'd only go to the Rangers then Drury thought he had to make a move, but I think that was then and this is now.
If for some reason it made $$ and logistical sense then I could see him doing it but I don't think he'll do it just to do it for the name of "kane"

Reactions: will1066

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Calling the Rangers a team with no skill was wrong last year and is laughable this year as it looks like Chytil and Lafreniere look to be playing the best hockey of their careers. The Rangers aren't the Avs or even Devils but this post is why it's hard to post on this board with its absurd takes.

That said they don't have enough skill to play a purely offensive game.
I think it's silly to call a team with two 90 point scorers, a 72 point Norris nominated defenseman, and several other assorted decent players a "no skill team"
A "no skill team" are the ones that Tortorella coached back in the day when we all pined for the chance to see a guy who might possibly sniff 70 points.

and as soon as you're an "all skill team" you bitch about not having enough power forwards and ginders who can cycle the puck

The Rangers are in a pretty good spot the yjust need to play up to their talent

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's silly to call a team with two 90 point scorers, a 72 point Norris nominated defenseman, and several other assorted decent players a "no skill team"
A "no skill team" are the ones that Tortorella coached back in the day when we all pined for the chance to see a guy who might possibly sniff 70 points.

and as soon as you're an "all skill team" you bitch about not having enough power forwards and ginders who can cycle the puck

And our big issue has been depth and Laf and Chytil, especially Chytil have been playing very well. And even Kakko if he were drafted #20 and not #2 we'd say he's good depth. We were very good with Fast in the top 6 and Kakko is better than him at literally everything.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Well 70 points back in the Torts days is equivalent to about 100 now and we still don’t have any of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad