iPad buying help

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
So I have an iPad 3 (model MC707LL/A) rom 2013.
I only use it to read the Sunday paper & stream TV.
However as if this fall it’s obsolete. I can no longer stream because the apps will not update.
I need a newer version but am on a tight budget.
I wanted to know:
1) Which iPad versions should I look at?
-Nothing fancy, but I want at least 64g of storage & a screen size no smaller than my current
2) I don’t need the newest, top of the line, I just need one that works & wont be obsolete next year.
3) Best places to shop?
-Apple/BestBuy/Amazon/Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist/Other?
4) Can I get a rebate/money from Apple for my old iPad & iPod even if I don’t buy from them?
Thanks.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This is interesting because I've just bought a new iPad and I helped my Mom pick one out too.

1. There are basically three versions out right now: the iPad, the iPad Air and the iPad Pro. There's also the iPad Mini but I suspect it's not in the running.

2. I went with the basic iPad because I use it mainly for Ultimate Guitar for all of my sheet music and tabs when I play piano and guitar. I don't need all the power and I don't really plan on watching movies on it so I don't need the storage, and I have a laptop which I use for work and for TV/movies. I went with the 32 GB basic model.

3. My Mom went with the iPad Air for my Dad because it's thinner, slightly more powerful and has a slightly bigger screen. I think it weighs less as well. He uses it to read articles on the web, watch videos, etc.

4. A friend of mine has the iPad Pro which he uses for his business needs - it's basically the power of a laptop which is likely not required. It's an impressive if insanely expensive option.

I really like the Smart Keyboard case (which wraps around your iPad but also folds out into a keyboard) because using the touchscreen keyboard can be a bit of a chore. It's not cheap though, at around $200, but you can get a Logitech version for cheaper IIRC.

I know Apple does certified refurbished devices so you might be able to get a deal on a used device for cheaper.

I'm not sure if you save all that much shopping around, someone else may have better advice in that area.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In terms of power/performance rankings the current line of iPads goes: iPad Pro > iPad Air > iPad Mini > iPad (basic)

The Air and the Mini are largely the same internals, both a step up over the basic iPad on several features including the processor and selfie (facetime) camera. One quirk in your requirements is the basic iPad comes with 32 or 128GB at MSRP $329 and $429. Whereas the iPad Air (gen 3) is 64 or 256GB at $499 and $649.

If you want to go even more budget and buy a used iPad I'd target either the basic iPad gen 5 or 6 w/128GB or an iPad Air 2 with 64 or 128GB. I don't have recommendations for any specific seller of used iPads, but glancing around it looks like there are very few 5th/6th gen iPads with 128GB on the used market. Almost everything is the 32GB model.

If 64GB is a strong requirement I'd look at a used Air 2, some prices I see:

Best Buy iPad Air 2 w/64GB: $249
Gazelle iPad Air 2 w/64GB $169-$219 depending on condition (looks like they only have Excellent in stock at $219)

I have an Air 2 w/128GB myself and it's still performing just fine.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Yeh I need at least 64 & a screen no smaller than my current gen 3.
I thought the air was smaller than the standard screen.

look a used one is fine, I want to spend as little as possible to have a device I can stream on with no less memory or size that won’t be slow or obsolete in a year.

which specific models should I target with this in mind? Thanks.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I recently acquired a 64gb ipad air 2019. Love it. Has enough power to run my photo editing software and some light video work. It runs really smoothly for streaming sports/Netflix etc and I play a ton of civilization 6 on it with no hiccups.

I looked at the new 10.2" (2019) ipads but the air has a faster processor which a12 bionic chip, more pixel density in the display and also a fully laminated/anti reflective coating on the display.

I think if you want a lonerg life from your purchase you should spend the extra money and go with the new Ipad Air model or look for a used/refurbished unit. Just my opinion but in the end it could be in your best interest to get the unit with a higher processor so that it will extend its usefulness and not be obsolete as fast, as you stated above that was one of your concerns. I realize you also said you dont need newest or top of the line but that kind of contradicts itself as your timeline for replacement would be sooner if you get an older model than getting the newer model.

I so think mouser would have the perfect solution with the Air2 (2017) 64gb from bestbuy if you are on a limited budget.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeh I need at least 64 & a screen no smaller than my current gen 3.
I thought the air was smaller than the standard screen.

look a used one is fine, I want to spend as little as possible to have a device I can stream on with no less memory or size that won’t be slow or obsolete in a year.

which specific models should I target with this in mind? Thanks.

The Air has pretty much the same screen size as the standard iPads. Your older iPad model is going to have a 9.7" screen, the newest iPad gen 7 is 10.2". The iPad Air 2 is 9.7" and the new iPad Air (3rd gen) is 10.5".

I'll agree with all of tacogeoff's points. If you really want the 64GB and were buying new, I'd say it's worth the extra $60-70 to get an iPad Air (3rd gen) 64GB over a standard iPad (7th gen) with 128GB. It has approximately twice the CPU performance and a superior screen among other improvements.

For used models there are four different ones you'd want to focus on:

iPad (5th gen) 128GB
iPad (6th gen) 128GB
iPad Air 2 64GB
iPad Air 2 128GB

From a CPU performance standpoint, here are the multi-core performance scores from PassMark:

1405 iPad (6th gen)
1048 iPad Air 2
1026 iPad (5th gen)

For comparison, new:
2869 iPad Air (3rd gen)
1405 iPad (7th gen) **same processor as 6th gen

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Thanks, will take a look.
Best places to buy would be the Apple Store?
What about BestBuy, Amazon, eBay, craigslist, facebook marketplace?

Forgot to ask, do you think I can get a credit from Apple for my old iPad?
Would I need to purchase something or can I get it regardless.

Last edited:

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I'm seeing an iPad Air2, 64 GB on Amazon for $239
And a 9.7 128 GB for $280
For my purposes, what do you think? Just what I need? Good deal?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Sort of a coin flip, the A9 in the iPad will be better in a few things, the A8x in the Air 2 will be better in others. The Air 2 will have the laminated screen, but the iPad may be brighter. I don't think the Air 2 has a touch ID sensor.

You still only have 2 GB of RAM, whereas the newest base iPad has 3 GB and an A10. You could look at which you may find more useful: 64 vs 128 GB.

I have a 5th gen iPad (32 GB), and it's been fine. I use it for Wikipedia, Reddit, Kindle, occasional Youtube.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sort of a coin flip, the A9 in the iPad will be better in a few things, the A8x in the Air 2 will be better in others. The Air 2 will have the laminated screen, but the iPad may be brighter. I don't think the Air 2 has a touch ID sensor.

You still only have 2 GB of RAM, whereas the newest base iPad has 3 GB and an A10. You could look at which you may find more useful: 64 vs 128 GB.

I have a 5th gen iPad (32 GB), and it's been fine. I use it for Wikipedia, Reddit, Kindle, occasional Youtube.

The Air 2 has Touch ID. I think it may have been the first iPad model with it.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

If you read the comparisons you’ll see the tablets are pretty comparable. ipad air 2 vs ipad 2017 - Google Search

I’d probably lean towards the gen 5 if only because there’s the possibility you’ll get an extra year of support with the slightly newer cpu. That’s probably worth the extra dollars given your priorities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad