IOC won't be compensating NHL for using players, but...

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Please elaborate how a World Cup benefits European leagues?
They would presumably receive a cut of the profits in exchange for their participation, and they'd probably control the TV deals within their countries. And I would think they'd rotate the host country among the major participants.

They get none of those things from the Olympics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They would presumably receive a cut of the profits in exchange for their participation, and they'd probably control the TV deals within their countries. And I would think they'd rotate the host country among the major participants.

They get none of those things from the Olympics.

Not in a million years. All profits form past Canada/World cups have gone to the NHL and NHLPA, there is ZERO chance that they would give any of that money to other leagues. There is also virtually zero chance that the finals stage of the tournament would be held anywhere else than North America. Ratings would be pitiful in North America. Also the tv deals would be handled by the national federations. You have no concept of how things work in the real world/here if you're actually suggesting that. On behalf of Finland, I can say that it wouldn't be much, networks are already short on money for international sporting events with constant complaints about rising prices.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Not in a million years. All profits form past Canada/World cups have gone to the NHL and NHLPA, there is ZERO chance that they would give any of that money to other leagues. There is also virtually zero chance that the finals stage of the tournament would be held anywhere else than North America. Ratings would be pitiful in North America. Also the tv deals would be handled by the national federations. You have no concept of how things work in the real world/here if you're actually suggesting that. On behalf of Finland, I can say that it wouldn't be much, networks are already short on money for international sporting events with constant complaints about rising prices.

Rather a narrow view Jussi. Yes, past profits went to the NHLPA (actually into Alan Eaglesons personal & families bank accounts, townhouses' in London etc) & the NHL to a lesser extent however, that was then & this is now. An equitable arrangement whereby the individual European Federations & the IIHF, the KHL & NHL would be brought together under a single umbrella with equal shares for all partners large & small. If held bi-annually or every 4yrs, absolutely it would have to alternate between North America & Europe/Russia. To me, that would be the ideal scenario. If the series is played in Finland for example, the organizers & the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation would keep the lions share of Finnish national broadcast broadcast rights & receive an equal share of the international & new media rights visa-vie global broadcasts. Theirs an old saying; "Armchair Generals think in terms of concept & theory, real ones think in terms of logistics". Its doable & workable, and I can assure you, though it may sometimes be hard to believe based on my posts, I do live in the real world. ;)

Dado

Seems the bottom line of all this interesting discussing is that hockey is not really a Big Time sport by global standards.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Rather a narrow view Jussi. Yes, past profits went to the NHLPA (actually into Alan Eaglesons personal & families bank accounts, townhouses' in London etc) & the NHL to a lesser extent however, that was then & this is now. An equitable arrangement whereby the individual European Federations & the IIHF, the KHL & NHL would be brought together under a single umbrella with equal shares for all partners large & small. If held bi-annually or every 4yrs, absolutely it would have to alternate between North America & Europe/Russia. To me, that would be the ideal scenario. If the series is played in Finland for example, the organizers & the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation would keep the lions share of Finnish national broadcast broadcast rights & receive an equal share of the international & new media rights visa-vie global broadcasts. Theirs an old saying; "Armchair Generals think in terms of concept & theory, real ones think in terms of logistics". Its doable & workable, and I can assure you, though it may sometimes be hard to believe based on my posts, I do live in the real world. ;)

No, it isn't. There simply IS NO INTEREST FOR A WORLD CUP IN SEPTEMBER IN EUROPE.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Seems the bottom line of all this interesting discussing is that hockey is not really a Big Time sport by global standards.

Correct. A niche' sport played only by the wealthier northern hemispheric nations, a history of internecine wars between the various sports federations & governing bodies at the amateur, junior, university & college, Olympic, semi-pro & professional levels, dysfunctional, a magnet for confidence artists & grifters, a.....:cry::cry::cry:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Congratulations, you got it. :handclap: Now can you help me stuff it into the minds of these canuckers who think someone in Europe cares about a hockey tournament in September?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I heard he blew all of his embezled money on pedicures and rhinestones.

"Esthetician's" are expensive creatures to keep ABD.. Particularilly when your keeping several in places like Zurich, Helsinki, Gdansk, Moscow, St. Petes...... NYC, Montreal...... Condo fee's alone'll killya. Especially on Nuns Island. :naughty:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
That conflicts with the World Junior Championship.
I *love* that tournament.

Back to back double header. A Bacchanalian Gorging of the best Juniors & Pro's. Fill your boots Dado. One is not mutually exclusive of the other, indeed, they are complimentary, and go together like turkey, cranberry sauce, truffle & wild rice stuffing....hmmm, Im gettin kinda hungry here....

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
No, it isn't. There simply IS NO INTEREST FOR A WORLD CUP IN SEPTEMBER IN EUROPE.
And even if there was, would you trust the North Americans with regard to an "equitable" arrangement and "equal shares"?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Not sure who's interested in a World Cup at all....

Hockey has too few countries with the power really concentrated with a small number of nations to ever be a true international draw. The women's games at the intl level illustrate this best, but while there's greater breadth amongst the men, it's still too small. It's like the extreme version of what we see in the NHL---- a small number of have's and then a shipload of have not's.

Dado

...IIHF World Championships.

It seems that should be the tournament to build on. But I don't think the NHL feels it has enough control (ie, can't take all the money) so it's unlikely to happen.

IMO this issue won't be resolved until Europe comes up with a league that can go toe-to-toe with the NHL. And I don't think any one country is enough to do it. So we need to see an elite European "champions" league - maybe 18 teams in the best markets across Europe.

Alternately, the NHL could be broken up into Canadian and US national leagues, but for reasons to numerous to mention, that is extremely unlikely.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
That wont work Jussi. Conflicts with the Dutch Tulip Festival. The one in Holland, Michigan. May 7-11. :laugh:

Ottawa also has a very nice tulip festival in May. :)

So we're back to trying to do something internationally while NHL events are still going. And we know there's no question of players still in contention leaving for some Fasel-fest.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Fasel-fest.

:snide: Hah!. Good one, and he doesnt even bother with a tip let alone the tab.... Logistically, the optimum time IMO would be over Christmas/New Years coinciding with the WJ's though every 3-4yrs as opposed to their annual, which absolutely should be left intact with a minimum amount of disruption. Indeed, I think it'd be highly complimentary & advantageous, great for the game.

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
You KNOW we've all had enough of winter when we're talking about Tulips!:laugh:

Want to end the World Championship problem? Easy: IIHF forbids NHL players from playing in World Championships if under contract to an NHL team.

There, wasn't that simple?:sarcasm:

Oh, wait, IIHF WANTS the NHL to play WC's, raises attendance. ;) But doesn't want to pay them for the privilege. Strikes me as the IIHF is playing off the NHL's "Grow the game". I wonder if the NHL should just say "you know what, we're happy with what we have, no need to grow the game in places it's popular, so IIHF, you can take a hike, or start paying for the privils.

IIHF can no longer have it's cake and eat it too IMO.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
IIHF can no longer have it's cake and eat it too IMO.

Unfortunately the IOC enables these situations, quite deliberately of course, whereby they appoint/elect the heads of various international federations to oversee their disciplines in the Olympic's. I think its time they put a bell on 2 hat cats.
:blackcat:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Unfortunately the IOC enables these situations, quite deliberately of course, whereby they appoint/elect the heads of various international federations to oversee their disciplines in the Olympic's. I think its time they put a bell on 2 hat cats.
:blackcat:

Ah, but that begs the age old question: "Who will bell the cat(s)?"

Are you volunteering Killion?:naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino