Introducing the Wild Black Aces

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The term “Black Ace” was once used negatively. The term originated from Eddie Shore, who would refer to spare players as a “Black Ace.” Shore would say that a team would be in bad shape if they had to use one of their Black Aces in a game. However, recently, it has been used more positively. A team would use a Black Ace to help them overcome the loss of a player or if they thought a different player could be utilized in a way to help the team win. Let’s look at the Wild aces in the hole.

Kaapo Kahkonen

Let's start with the obvious: Alex Stalock will open the series. He has easily outplayed Devan Dubnyk this year and has earned the trust of his coach and team. But if Stalock should falter or get injured, the question becomes a lot more interesting. Kaapo Kahkonen has had an exemplary season in the AHL this year. He racked up seven shutouts in just 34 games, with a .927 SV% and 2.07 goals against. His five starts in Minnesota have followed suit, going 3-1-1 with a .913 SV%.

See more here
Minnesota Wild Black Aces - Last Word on Hockey

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Nothing obvious about which goalie starts since we're so far removed from the most recent game. Stalock was playing better than he had ever played before in his career, can he recapture that? Who knows?

Dubs sucks. He's done as a goalie.

Khaki can come into camp, potentially out play both and start from the initial drop of the puck.

He is the anti-black ace since he has every bit the shot to start as the other two goalies.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Can't really see the team with the best D in the NHL using 4 of their 5 "callups" on defensemen.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Khovanov would be interesting and exciting to at least have around. If I had to guess, I think Menell, Belpedio, Kahkonen, Mayhew, and Anas make sense if we only get 5.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think they might bring up some guy with size and toughness, also. In the playoffs, some team might try to intimidate us. Foligno and Hartman can handle themselves a bit, and maybe Greenway, but we can't have Dumba fight and I don't want Soucy getting injured again(can he even fight?). A guy like Seeler would be perfect. Can Bartkowski fight?

Vegas comes to mind as a team that might try intimidation tactics.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think they might bring up some guy with size and toughness, also. In the playoffs, some team might try to intimidate us. Foligno and Hartman can handle themselves a bit, and maybe Greenway, but we can't have Dumba fight and I don't want Soucy getting injured again(can he even fight?). A guy like Seeler would be perfect. Can Bartkowski fight?

Vegas comes to mind as a team that might try intimidation tactics.
Is this post from 10 years ago? You think the Wild need to add a fighter for the playoffs? And Vegas might be the softest team in the west.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Khovanov would be interesting and exciting to at least have around. If I had to guess, I think Menell, Belpedio, Kahkonen, Mayhew, and Anas make sense if we only get 5.
As sad as it is to see Anas perform so well and seemingly never get his due, I think you've got to put Sturm in the list and take Anas out. We at least know Mayhew can play at the NHL level, so I'd keep him over Anas at this point, and having a big, defensively responsible center could be pretty important if a center goes down with injury. Otherwise, I think your list is spot on!

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm a bit surprised to see Belpedio with all the PIM's. Didn't think that was part of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad