Eurolanche: Interview with Wojtek Wolski

EurolancheDavid

Since 2013, Wolski has been playing in the KHL. He spent the first two years following his move to Europe playing for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, where he also served as the team’s captain for one season. He then played the following two seasons for Metallurg Magnitogorsk, winning the Gagarin Cup once. He began the current season in China, signing for Kunlun Red Star, but was later traded back to Magnitogorsk.

wojtek_wolski_2018-KHL.JPG

Eurolanche spoke with Wolski after Magnitogorsk’s practice in Bratislava, Slovakia, where his team was scheduled to face Slovan Bratislava. Wolski remembered Eurolanche, as he met participants of the first three Eurolanche Invasions between 2008 and 2010 while still with the Avalanche.

Could you explain how you got to Canada when you were young?
First we moved to Germany, from where we moved to Toronto afterwards. I kind of grew up all over the city while playing hockey in Toronto. We left Poland for a better opportunity, as the country was still under communist rule at the time. We left in hopes of a better life.

Was it easy to move from Poland to West Germany?
No, we had to escape the country and had to stay in a refugee camp in West Germany for almost two years. From there, we got a sponsorship from a church in Canada and then moved to Toronto.

Do you remember anything from your childhood in Poland?
Not really. I was really young – I was two years old when we were still in Poland and then three and four when we were in Germany.

wojtek_wolski_polska.jpg

FULL INTERVIEW: Eurolanche interview with Wojtek Wolski - Eurolanche.com

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I certainly wish him all the best, especially after that scary injury, but no Avs player has ever (and hopefully ever will) frustrated me as much as this guy. When he was on, he flat-out took over games.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I certainly wish him all the best, especially after that scary injury, but no Avs player has ever (and hopefully ever will) frustrated me as much as this guy. When he was on, he flat-out took over games.

I'm glad to see he's playing hockey again. Definitely agree with the frustration part. In terms of his physical attributes and hockey skills, he may be one of the most talented players on the Avs ever. He just very rarely put it all together.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad