Interview with Michal Neuvirth

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Hey, everyone! Just found out a new interview with Michal Neuvirth (from Czech media) it's obviously about the upcoming play-offs and his first season here.

So I decided to translate it for you, I hope that you will enjoy it.

And first of all, please excuse my not so good english. :( I translated this real quick.

Original source: http://nhl.cz/rozhovor-uz-dva-mesice-jedeme-tempo-jako-v-play-off-na-washington-si-verime-lici-neuvirth-z-flyers/5009171

1. You enter the play-offs in a special mood, the owner of the Flyers - Ed Snider passed away. How his death affected the team?

"A lot. For people here, in Philly, he meant a lot. He created the Flyers and owned them for the all time. He was very known around the city, he had a big name, it affected many people. There's nothing else for us, we have to play for him now. I didn't know him that well, since I am here only 1 year but the guys who are here longer, they always mentioned how great he was. Phenomenal owner who cared so much about hockey. We immediately said to each other, we have to leave everything on the ice, that could be the best way how to honor his memory."

2. If we leave aside the familiarization with the owner, it looks to me like during just one season in Philly, you really got close with the whole team. Is it correct?

"Yes, that's right. We have really a fantastic group here, plus Voracek and Gudas. Voracek is also the leader of team, together with Giroux and Simmonds, who are the same age as me, so we have a lot of things in common. Teammates are really perfect here."

3. I heard that in the Flyers lockeroom there is a group of people who are all on the same page, and that is also not always a sure thing in the NHL...

"And it's absolutely true. We understand each other, we got always something to talk about. There are a few older guys, who keeps us a little bit short (it's meant in a good way, obviously), but the group is really fantastic here. I am not afraid to say that this is the best team I've ever been to."

4. We probably saw it in the last games of the season, when you cleared the gap on the play-offs, right?

"Exactly. Since the beginning of January, we have been playing really good, as a team. It's been already 2 months since we are in the play-off mode, we fight for each other. And it could be also our advantage in a series against Washington. I guess, that they had secured 1st spot in the NHL for like 3 weeks whereas we had to fight almost to the last game to make it into the play-offs."

5. Moreover, you know how to play against the Caps, you beat them twice in the regular season. Do you feel confident, because of it, against such a strong team more than it would be normal in this case?

"Of course, we believe that we can play against them. We played 2 good games with them. We also beat them here, on their home ice. We have nothing to fear about, I think that the series will be open and pressure is on them. We have to play our hockey, with good defense, and fight for each other. Then, everything can happen."

6. For you personally, Washington is almost your traditional opponent. You faced them last year as a member of the Islanders, now again. You started your career in the Washington, and you were a teammate with a lot of players there. Does it have any special spark for you?

"It's interesting. It was only short period of time last year in the Islanders, whereas this year I am much more connected with our team. It will be good series. It's true that Washington is my 2nd closest team. I have very big motivation to beat them. I gave some tips to our guys how to score a goal against Holtby."

7. And will you give a tip to your partner - Mason, how to shut down Ovechkin? You were always saying that in the training you were able to stop him.

"The most important thing in a real game against Ovechkin is how you defend him. We had a long meeting regarding our play on the PK. We have really sophisticated system how we will play against Ovechkin on the PK. I think that coaches did a good job and we will be prepared for him."

8. When we already mentioned Mason, according to his comments, it looks like you are a good teammates and you get along well. Is that right?

"Yes. We have great relationship. Each day we try to be better than other one, which pushes us both up. I've never had any problem with my (goalie) partner. Mason is really great guy, work with him and our goalie coach is fantastic."

9. It has reflected on your results in the regular season. You have played excellently. Hasn't it exceeded your expectations?

"Yes, I am very happy how I played in this season. I was part of some big wins, especially, road wins, against St. Louis, Detroit, Chicago, Washington - those I remeber very well. It shows that I had many of these wins against a good teams on the road. I am really satisfied with the season but we are not ending yet! The best part of the season starts right now. We will fight for the best possible team result."

10. Has anyone made it clear to you that the Flyers did a good move in the summer when they signed you?

"I felt it from the beginning. I immediately fit in the lockeroom and since the training camp I've been in a good shape. I gained respect from my teammates, and even though I played often in back to back games, guys always fought for me and helped me tremendously."

It's not the end of the interview but imo those 10 questions are the ones which are most interesting or important. It's pretty long interview. Next questions are about one of his great saves, about Gudas, a little bit about Voracek, then his problems with previous agent and nomination to the World Cup. I could translate it later.

I wanted for you guys to read it before the start of the 1st game.

Enjoy. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad