International hockey rivalries

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
International rivalries are lame because the teams completely change too often, and they play so few tournaments. There's no real hatred between the players. It's mostly just fans with this notion of a rivalry.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'll try to speak for Austrians haha, feel free to correct me
3. Slovenia - their success seems like it will prove unsustainable, but there were a lot of intense games, and the h2h was pretty back and forth, perhaps even with a slight advantage to them. In addition, familiarity is bred by the fact that Austrian juniors play Slovenian juniors from youth hockey up.
2. Hungary - Austria hasn't really lost this one so long as I can remember. But it's another rivalry that is built up from the junior levels, where Austria tends to lose at the U14, and U16 levels, U18 is a toss up, Austria is clearly superior at the U20 and Senior levels. For a while it seemed like it might become more competitive, but that seems to be fading away.
1. Germany - I mean...it's Austria-Germany, who could not love it? We were closer in years past...Germany seems to have taken the bullet train up to the next level, which, good for them. I wouldn't say it was particularly competitive before either, we won once on the U20 stage I think, maybe twice, we also forced OT in the 2014 Olympic Qualification, which secured our ticket to the 2014 Olympics at their expense. Generally, I think we have some work to do to keep it competitive. But it's the derby, gotta love it.

Reactions: Maverick41

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Haha, love seeing these. As a Canadian (30 years old), mine would be:

1) Russia: Hockey super power, historic rivalry, and some losses growing up that burned. Remember the celebrations of some Russian teams after their wins that really annoyed me growing up. No real grudges now, more respect, but still the team that burns the most losing to.

2) USA: Always loved the Christmas Eve games against USA in the WJC. More of a sibling rivalry, so not as upset when we lose to them compared to the Russians, but still upset lol.

3) Finland (more recent): This has switched with Sweden, mainly because of their recent success I think. Also, as a Sens fan, I have cheered on Swedish players over the years, which is what pushes Finland up.

4) Sweden: Just a good team that can always give us a run for our money. Lack of gold medal success recently drops them down.

5) Czech Republic: Not really WJC related, but they get this position for the 1998 Olympics. Curse you Hašek! Though, happy you beat Russia in the end :laugh:

Civetty

Jan 2, 2017
International rivalries are lame because the teams completely change too often, and they play so few tournaments. There's no real hatred between the players. It's mostly just fans with this notion of a rivalry.

I'd strongly disagree, international rivalries often have to do with more than sport, it's often political or can even between countries that have been in war. You can argue that there isn't much of that nowadays, especially in hockey. But historically there have definatly been some heated matches even in hockey, usually between post soviet countries and Russia.

I must say there is an interesting difference in view between North America and Europe when it comes to this though, in Europe a rivalry is built up from what the supporters feel, not the players, the players are only merceneries to do the fighting for the supporters.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'd strongly disagree, international rivalries often have to do with more than sport, it's often political or can even between countries that have been in war. You can argue that there isn't much of that nowadays, especially in hockey. But historically there have definatly been some heated matches even in hockey, usually between post soviet countries and Russia.
Also...international teams I feel change less than club teams...the age of career allegiance to a club is long gone...

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
Finn here.
Before 2005 it was Czech reb 1st and Sweden 2nd.
After that it has always been:
1) Sweden
2) Canada
3) Usa
4) Russia
5) Czechs

I don't remember Russian media talking about "sure victories" against Finland or anything like that, so don't really feel the rivalry there.
Before 2005 I remember the Czech Republic scared me the most (1999 & 2001 WC finals...)

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
But historically there have definatly been some heated matches even in hockey, usually between post soviet countries and Russia.
I'd say SOVIET rivalries, not POST-SOVIET rivalries, were the only really heated ones, ie. USSR vs the free world.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
For Canada:

1. USA/Russia (tie): one because of the shared border, the other because even when they “suck” they’re still good. Losing to any of these countries is a disappointment on an equal scale.

2. Sweden: the most “North American” in style to me, but more skill than other countries that are the same way (Germany, Latvia, Swiss)

3. Great Britain: not actually a thing, but it would be fantastic if it were. I could see them as having the most North American game out of all European countries if people there cared about the sport.
Great Britain is definitely a thing. I still haven't forgiven them for 1936.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
I'd say SOVIET rivalries, not POST-SOVIET rivalries, were the only really heated ones, ie. USSR vs the free world.

I guess you were too far away to witness the horrific psychodrama that was Finland v Sweden (it's gotten noticeably mellower now that Finns have taken a seat at the big boys' table and the generational hangups seem to be fading away on both sides of the Gulf of Bothnia).

Reactions: Exarz

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Nobody's mentioned women's hockey yet, so here are Canada's main rivals:

1. USA
2. USA
3. USA
4. USA
5. USA

23. Someone else

vilevin

Jan 3, 2020
For Russia it's only Canada. No need to explain why.

As for the States, well, I think that only people who are, um, overly patriotic are eager to beat them. If anyone considers the Americans to be our rivals with a capital 'R', it is purely for political reasons and has nothing to do with hockey. Finland and Sweden - they are undoubtedly strong and tough opponents and we had many intense and memorable games against them, but no, I don't think anyone in Russia would consider them our rivals. We don't care about them much (although we don't always like to play against Finland because of their playstyle which sometimes causes big problems for our teams, but most of us respect the Finns, we often even root for them).

It's just that nothing compares to the history that Russia shares with Canada in hockey, so there is Canada and then a huge space.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
For Canada the main historical rivalry has always been against Russia, and the former USSR.

The two most decorated national teams by a large margin. Countless gold medal finals against one another.

The stats speak for themselves.

Canada
9 Olympic Gold
26 IIHF World Championship Gold
18 IIHF World Junior Gold
6 Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey Gold

Russia
8 Olympic Gold (7 USSR, 1 Olympic athletes from Russia)
27 IIHF World Championship Gold (5 Russia, 22 USSR)
13 IIHF World Junior Gold (4 Russia, 8 USSR, 1 Commonwealth independent states former USSR)
1 Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey Gold

So yea...historically and still on a tier all to their own, Canada vs Russia. Hockey's greatest rivalry.

Reactions: jj cale and snipes

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
As a fin Sweden and Russia. But in the world juniors espicially at small rink Canada is always nice to upset and Us also.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As an American, I see three rivals with no clear hierarchy.

Canada-Neighbors to the north. Share a domestic league together. Our hockey cultures are very intertwined.

Russia-This is mostly political. Cold War is a big factor, but even in current times, a large segment of US population feels like Russia is the country’s biggest political enemy.

Finland-Very recent. They always seem to beat us in big games.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Everybody hates Russia lol

Personally enjoy the USA v Canada rivalry more than Russia v Canada. Agree with whichever poster who said it's a bit of generational thing, my father despises Russian national teams and I think most people 40+ I know share that view. I just don't have that same disdain, really like a lot of Russian players and enjoy their style of hockey.

+ I just like taking the Americans down a peg

Sweden I guess would be third.

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

Zamboni Parade

Mar 12, 2014
Germany
As a German, I feel that our pool of potential rivalries is a tad shallow in that the classic hockey nations are way ahead of us and the games tend to be too lopsided for a rivalry to develop, which leaves only a couple of nations on a comparable level.

Out of those I'd probably place Latvia first as the games are usually quite close (one might even say dramatic at times) and they're the team I dread facing.

And... that's about it for me, really.

I feel like I'm obliged to also mention Austria or Switzerland, but personally I just don't find these games particularly exciting besides the comparable level of talent. There's certainly nothing rivalry-ish about them for me. Could be because I grew up in the north and I've got no personal connections to that part of the world but anyway these matches don't do anything special for me. Now, by that logic I should say Denmark but I spent too many nice days there to ever actively root against them lol.

But yeah, Latvia. Arrrghh!!

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008

Poor soul, maybe one day you'll understand the essence of sport. But don't think so since you seem to waste your whole life on the propaganda of the NHL which gives you such a narrow life view.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
For Latvia national team, Russia probably is the only real rival, but it is one-sided because Russia couldn't care less about a team of our level, but for us it is extra sweet to get occasional win over the mighty Red Machine.

I guess it is a mirror situation with Lithuania and Estonia haha. Competitively I think Belarus in fan eyes must always be beaten, but don't think players on ice feel any special about our meetings.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
For Russia it’s only Canada. The rest are certainly good opponents but the intensity never reaches the same levels

I think to Soviet times there was a big rivalry to CSSR too. Both played with their best possible roster. CSSR was the only WC winner between 1963 and 1986 beside Sovietunion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad