Interesting stat (Rick DiPietro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I was just looking up career points for goaltenders and was a bit surprised to see Rick at 25. Almost everyone around him and above have 500 plus games (Rick has 318). Factor in that everyone above him played most of their career in the pre-trapazoid era..... and you have to wonder how good he could have been offensively had he stayed healthy..

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-assists-leaders.html

His scoring rate .059
Brodeur's scoring rate .035

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I was just looking up career points for goaltenders and was a bit surprised to see Rick at 25. Almost everyone around him and above have 500 plus games (Rick has 318). Factor in that everyone above him played most of their career in the pre-trapazoid era..... and you have to wonder how good he could have been offensively had he stayed healthy..

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-goalies-all-time-assists-leaders.html

His scoring rate .059
Brodeur's scoring rate .035

I'd love to see his corsi stats relating to giveaways and turnovers!:laugh:

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
If it weren't for all the injury woes, the first thing that'd come to mind hearing DP is "aggressive." For all I bashed him, I feel bad thinking about what could've been. Recently started following him on Twitter, he seems pretty damn entertaining. Good insight.

scott99

May 13, 2005
When HEALTHY, he was a top 10-15 NHL goalie. Going into that fateful Allstar game, he was riding high. When you look at his stats from 2003-2007, they were pretty damned good.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Injuries obviously did him (and the Isles) in. I understand why MM traded away Luongo. I'll never understand what he got in return, but being willing to move Luongo I get.

Hershey Hockey

#AskNeal
Oct 5, 2010
Hershey, PA
If it weren't for all the injury woes, the first thing that'd come to mind hearing DP is "aggressive." For all I bashed him, I feel bad thinking about what could've been. Recently started following him on Twitter, he seems pretty damn entertaining. Good insight.

What's his twitter handle? I kinda want to check it out and see what he has to say nowadays. All I've ever seen is parody accounts for him.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
the only stats I care about for my goalies are.
Games Played and save%

That being said,Rick was definitely a great puck handler

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
the only stats I care about for my goalies are.
Games Played and save%

That being said,Rick was definitely a great puck handler
when it worked...

He was also the worst puckhandler.....leading THE LEAGUE in giveaways right before his first big injury season, and how can one forget his wandering to play the puck giving the defense heart attacks, how his late game moves led to tying goals and losing goals against, how he got the death stare from Aucoin I will never forget.

dtrain24

May 5, 2014
Farmingdale, NY.
What's his twitter handle? I kinda want to check it out and see what he has to say nowadays. All I've ever seen is parody accounts for him.

@HDumpty39 ....Yeah, not even kidding. Shows he's got a sense of humor, that's for sure.

Saw this exchange on his Twitter, and that's what made me feel bad for kinda turning on him during the injury years. He used to be my favorite player too. I was still fairly young when the whole injury disaster thing was going on, so I guess that kind of ruined my image of him by the time he left the Isles, along with all the other drama.

Adam DeRise (@The_Mr_Innocent)
@HDumpty39 so Ricky... what happened?

Sincerely,
A disappointed isles fan
-----------------------------------------
Rick DiPietro (@HDumpty39)
@The_Mr_Innocent Body broke down on me. I promise it wasn't due to lack of effort. My biggest regret in life is not bringing the Cup to LI

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
When HEALTHY, he was a top 10-15 NHL goalie. Going into that fateful Allstar game, he was riding high. When you look at his stats from 2003-2007, they were pretty damned good.

Actually if you look at his stats the numbers show nothing more than a middle of the road goaltender. In the span you speak of his numbers put him in the middle of the pack. I have run down and posted the numbers before that shows this very clearly but not going to do it again because, thankfully, he is gone.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Was it GAA?

From recollection I believe it was, where he was sixth. He was top twenty in SvP that year among qualified netminders.

But that, remember, was when Rick was "reined in" and not doing as much STOOOOPID stuff. The next season he started getting cocky, chasing the puck like a hoocker chasing an eight ball, and injuries happened.

I was supporting him when he changed his game.....and when he reverted back I was done with him. Still am. I hope for a great life for he and his wife post career and enjoy his personality so long as it's not giving away leads.

nyscene

Jul 26, 2006
PANIC!
From recollection I believe it was, where he was sixth. He was top twenty in SvP that year among qualified netminders.

But that, remember, was when Rick was "reined in" and not doing as much STOOOOPID stuff. The next season he started getting cocky, chasing the puck like a hoocker chasing an eight ball, and injuries happened.

I was supporting him when he changed his game.....and when he reverted back I was done with him. Still am. I hope for a great life for he and his wife post career and enjoy his personality so long as it's not giving away leads.

Backwards. 6th in save percentage. teens in GAA.

And he carried that team after the ASG that year. He had, like, three regulation losses after the break. If I remember right two of those losses were shutouts at the hands of Brooder. Then he decided to try to rush out & get to the puck before the Montreal player did. That didn't work out to well...

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Backwards. 6th in save percentage. teens in GAA.

And he carried that team after the ASG that year. He had, like, three regulation losses after the break. If I remember right two of those losses were shutouts at the hands of Brooder. Then he decided to try to rush out & get to the puck before the Montreal player did. That didn't work out to well...

Yeah, I remember the F up he did rushing out to play that puck!!!

Like I said, it was my recollection. He was behaving all year and the next year, his brain was sizzling bacon mush.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
The most amazing thing on the chart from the op is ken drydens career win/loss and that he did not play a lot of games.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
@HDumpty39 ....Yeah, not even kidding. Shows he's got a sense of humor, that's for sure.

Saw this exchange on his Twitter, and that's what made me feel bad for kinda turning on him during the injury years. He used to be my favorite player too. I was still fairly young when the whole injury disaster thing was going on, so I guess that kind of ruined my image of him by the time he left the Isles, along with all the other drama.

Adam DeRise (@The_Mr_Innocent)
@HDumpty39 so Ricky... what happened?

Sincerely,
A disappointed isles fan
-----------------------------------------
Rick DiPietro (@HDumpty39)
@The_Mr_Innocent Body broke down on me. I promise it wasn't due to lack of effort. My biggest regret in life is not bringing the Cup to LI

This is actually very sad...

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
The most amazing thing on the chart from the op is ken drydens career win/loss and that he did not play a lot of games.

No, he didn't play a lot, was probably/arguably the greatest goalie EVER and was traded for not much when the Bruins thought the other two were better. Worsley was solid. But they traded Bryan Trottier when they thought they had enough centers, so to speak.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
I love DP. If you haven't caught him yet, he has been on ESPN radio with Alan Hahn and it's just great to listen to him.

Yeah, I love his stories about inside the lockerroom, how great KJ was, when his knee exploded. He really is a must listen to even though they talk hockey for a fraction of the time they are on the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad