Speculation: Interesting scenario

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The Habs will disappear when Montreal disappears. Simple as that. Just like Guiness will continue to exist as long as Dublin exists (and is full of drunks).

Cities are long lasting entities (Rome did outlive the Roman empire by quite a margin). And they provide a baseline market for various things: beers, foods, sports etc. The Habs are not here because of Molson or because of the NHL or because of any other business. The Habs are here because Montreal.

So, basically, your poll lacks an option:

-Become a fan of the new Montreal team

TheCanasianfrasian

Aug 18, 2006
Montreal
I hate ALOT of things about the NHL. I love hockey as a sport, a game. The NHL Business, i despise.

So if the habs were to move, i'd probably be so butthurt i'd never watch NHL hockey ever again.

So i guess my answer is no

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
If the Habs relocated, I'd stand outside the Bell Centre, every day after work...

Dr.-Who.gif

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If Montreal is in so much trouble financially that the Habs have to be moved, id ****ing move out of the city.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
OP - let's say that the laws of physics changed and water would no longer freeze, so they played only ball hockey and they renamed the Habs to the Roadrunners. Would you still follow them?

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
No, and I'm the type that only cheers for the local team which is why I can't get into the NFL or league soccer (not mls). I would still cheer for them and hope they succeed but I would stop caring

Habiton

Apr 30, 2010
The habs are a part of me, I would have no choice but to quit. And if my football team leaves then well.....I don't know what would happen.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Well, the team wouldn't move as long as the NHL is alive and kicking but a greater, even though slim possibility, is that the NHL could go bankrupt and the NHL folded. Sure a new league would most likely start up but the Canadiens name, history, and logo would belong to the defunct NHL and its owners.

A new team in a new league with a new name would be like pulling for the Montreal Concordes.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
Even if there was a scenario where the Habs were so bankrupt that NOONE anywhere would even consider investing in them, I can see a situation where the province or the caisse de depot would likely take them over, even at an exorbitant price, because the team and it's history really does mean that much to Quebec, and yes even Canada. The team is never going anywhere.

Now I can only imagine the type of team they would ice, but that's not what this thread is about.

Now, the Canadiens will always be able to find an owner somewhere, even if noone local steps up. George Gillett and Geoff Molson have proven that if done right, they are an extremelly lucrative investment. I got the impression the Molson's prior to gilett lost touch with the new realities of the NHL, the canadian economy and the younger generation of fans.

The Canadiens are not the expos, not the alouettes, not the impact. They mean way more than those teams combined, IMO.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Voted change teams....

The Nords will be back by then :yo:
Maybe Quebec.
If Habs would leave, then Quebec could not sustain having a team.

When Expos left, I stopped looking at Baseball and never went back.
If Montreal is in so much trouble financially that the Habs have to be moved, id ****ing move out of the city.
Thinking about finance: if Habs move, how many teams in the league are in financial trouble?

If Montreal is in such a financial disarray that Habs have to leave, some would probably have left the city before they would.

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
It would soften the blow if they at least had nice jerseys team name and was virtually still the exact same prospects players and staff.

However, giving up all that history would be a big big pill to swallow. Plus I love the city of Montreal too so that would be abit difficult.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I voted for "not as much", but the reality is that in short order, I wouldn't follow them anymore. It might take a few years, to see how how some prospects turn out, but that would be the end.

NewHabsEra*

I was thinking about a really interesting scenario yesterday. Let's turn our brain off completely here and pretend that Montreal is doing badly financially à la Coyotes/NJD. The owners are in debt and they have no choice but to sell the team (now I'm aware this scenario happened when the Molsons sold the team to Gillett). Now let's say in this scenario the new owner decides to move the Montreal Canadiens to a random market in the United States and get a complete overhaul like the Jets did when the Thrashers moved to Winnipeg. Now my question is: would you still be a fan of that team?

Now personally, yes because I've invested too much time on following the hype of our prospect pool and following the development of Pacioretty, Subban, Price, Galchenyuk, etc. It would hurt too much not to see them blossom into what I believe they can become.

The NHL will never accept the most titled franchise in the history to be moved in another city.. Thats a totally unrealistic scenario and quite useless thread..

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
this would NOT happen.
If Molson were so bad off they would sell to Quebecor or Celine Dion or something like that. If the Habs were sold to anybody that then tries to move the team under the nose of hab fans all hell would break lose, the government would stop the sale, brother Andre would wake from his tomb and lead the riots while carrying the Lost Ark in front of him. Pillars of fire would block the team BUS. Obi-Wan Kenobi would appear to the Habs buyer and tell him " this is not the team your looking for".
Martin Luther King would come back for a new speech " I had a nightmare "

Analyzer*

To be fair, if either Montreal, or Toronto are forced to move because of lack of support, or people being interested in purchasing either team, then in all likelihood hockey is about to fail and not be a top 4 sport in North America.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
After the Roy trade, I stoped watching hockey for 5 years. It's was not because I was Roy's biggest fan but rather the value in return. Topped that of with the Avs winning the cup!:rant:

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
I love hockey but if the Habs were moved, I'd probably stop watching, except maybe SCF, the WJC and the Olympics.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'd follow the team but not as intensely. I'd probably watch the Markham Canadians or wherever they'd move for a while to see our prospects and core players flourish, but I think over time I'd lose interest in the former Canadiens. Likely I would end up supporting a new team because I can't imagine just not watching hockey regularly for the rest of my life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad