Interesting read on Daryl Katz, the Oilers and Erie Otters

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's already in the OT thread, and it fills a narrative if you need it to.

Basically the Oilers were trying to look after themselves, swing a deal and it didn't go well.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
It's already in the OT thread, and it fills a narrative if you need it to.

Basically the Oilers were trying to look after themselves, swing a deal and it didn't go well.

not everyone reads the OT thread...

this is very much Oiler related so thanks for starting a thread OP

read this last night...Katz leveraging Hamilton for a new arena in Edmonton is not earth-shattering news. He's a bully

he messed up big time in his Seattle trip and paid for it dearly
now this

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A rich businessman doing some wheeling and dealing to get an edge on others... not much to see here.
Im sure he will get back his money that he loaned.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ah yes, the great white knight owner we have. The oiler organization themselves stinks from top to bottom but their 'other' sports dealings are all about control and cash with zero regard for the communities or teams they deal with. and when I say zero, I mean zero.

In the end they needed to leverage at all from Hamilton to get one of the most one sided sweet heart deals you will ever see regarding an arena.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
Billionaire businessboy uses bully tactics against elderly lady. Meh, is normal.

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
Glad Katz isn't getting crucified on these boards for this, yet...
He's no model citizen, or even owner, but this was a business move done to improve the terms of a huge investment he was making. Rich business man making a savvy play

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Billionaire businessboy uses bully tactics against elderly lady. Meh, is normal.

i must have read a different article. The one I read is where a businessman was asked for a loan by another businessman. After a while, the loaner wanted his money back and the loanee is refusing to pay.

It is going to court. I fail to see how katz is the bad guy, not the owner of the OHL team.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
i must have read a different article. The one I read is where a businessman was asked for a loan by another businessman. After a while, the loaner wanted his money back and the loanee is refusing to pay.

It is going to court. I fail to see how katz is the bad guy, not the owner of the OHL team.

Nothing about the whole wanting to use Hamilton as leverage for the Edmonton Arena deal pisses you off? It sure as hell pissed me off, glad that Hamilton didn't let it happen though.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

This is pretty much what I read.

:/

It's amazing to think how many people actually BELIEVE that Katz should just give his money away freely out of the goodness of his heart, just because he's a billionaire.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

His motives for making the loan in the 1st place. Him contacting the league commish and insisting on transferring the team.

It's simply another case of something being called a 'business decision' when it is convenient to do so and yet other major elements of the operations being treat as anything but a business.

If Fans of this team or any other pro sports team for that matter actually operated within the premise of a business decision attendance at oiler games would be about 2,000 these days.

Poor management, a disregard for what customers think about the product, no sign of things being better an arrogant disregard for the product and the customer.

oilers83

Feb 14, 2008

He was attempting to gain more leverage against the City of Edmonton, and ultimately the tax payers of the city, by loaning money to Bassin to pay off the debts and move the team (Erie Otters) to Hamilton.

The City of Hamilton grew aware of said proposition, and made a deal with another business.

The loaner/loanee is true and the money should be repaid, the problem I have is the backroom/confidential bs and the timing of all this is ironic.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Katz cares more about making money than he does about the Oilers winning hockey games.

That's just the way it is.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The HECFI vote came on Dec. 7, 2012. Five days later, without Hamilton’s leverage, Katz agreed to go back to the table with Edmonton along with a mediator in a final attempt to make an arena deal. With the rhetoric suddenly turned down, Katz and Edmonton reached an agreement on the new arena in January.

Can you imagine how much he would've gauged the city had this vote went through?
yikes

In the e-mail, which was later entered in the court documents, LaForge noted “we are all working on our plan to get the Otters relocated to Copps Coliseum” and “[the Oilers] will get the hockey opportunity we have been looking for in that market.”
clear leverage point...luckily for us, Hamilton balked

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Katz cares more about making money than he does about the Oilers winning hockey games.

That's just the way it is.

This is just a stupid thing to say.
Every hockey franchise cares more about money than winning.

Hell, I'll point out something even stupider. EVERY business cares more about money than being the best.

If Katz cared about money as much as you think he does, he would want Playoff revenue.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A successful businessman toeing the moral line to gain leverage in potential business deals. I'm shocked I tell ya SHOCKED. Who the f cares really? He's doing what most successful businessmen do, it's not for the faint of heart.

What I do care about is that he refuses to put his personal feelings for the OBC aside and do what's best for the hockey team. I couldn't care less that uses slimey tactics to broker business deals, don't know why any Oiler fans would care either.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
A successful businessman toeing the moral line to gain leverage in potential business deals. I'm shocked I tell ya SHOCKED. Who the f cares really? He's doing what most successful businessmen do, it's not for the faint of heart.

What I do care about is that he refuses to put his personal feelings for the OBC aside and do what's best for the hockey team. I couldn't care less that uses slimey tactics to broker business deals, don't know why any Oiler fans would care either.

Who cares? Well the fans of each and every team that gets steam rolled in the process.

I care because I think the city got taken to the cleaners by this guy, the same guy that doesn't give a shi* about the team because of his loyalty to lousy hockey people.

Fans of Oklahoma city, the road runners, Seattle hoping to get a team, baseball in Edmonton should all care because the moment an asset becomes 'non viable' it is tossed in the trash heap. All the while the pro sports team begs fans to stick with the team and support the team.

As I've said before, if fans treated the game the way owners do you would see attendance at oiler games to drop to almost nothing because the products has been terrible, boring and the vendors have been arrogant, ill willed and treat their customers like fools.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Who cares? Well the fans of each and every team that gets steam rolled in the process.

I care because I think the city got taken to the cleaners by this guy, the same guy that doesn't give a shi* about the team because of his loyalty to lousy hockey people.

Fans of Oklahoma city, the road runners, Seattle hoping to get a team, baseball in Edmonton should all care because the moment an asset becomes 'non viable' it is tossed in the trash heap. All the while the pro sports team begs fans to stick with the team and support the team.

As I've said before, if fans treated the game the way owners do you would see attendance at oiler games to drop to almost nothing because the products has been terrible, boring and the vendors have been arrogant, ill willed and treat their customers like fools.

He's no different than most successful businessmen. I see no reason to get worked up about something that is completely out of my control and that doesn't affect my real passion which is the Edmonton Oilers.

As I said before, his loyalty to the OBC is what irks me the most about him. Everything else is just big corporate stuff that is par for the course for these types of corporate giants. He's a slimeball but whatever. As long as he does what is in the best interest of the Edmonton Oilers, that's all I care about and so far he has failed miserably in that respect.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Nothing much new to see here.

A struggling owner takes out an ill advised loan from a takeover SHARK. (stupid stupid stupid) then doesn't deliver on what is stipulated in the contract (winning the Hamilton lease which was stipulated in the loan deal) and this struggling owner wants to retain the Otters where they are despite bleeding money and with Katz looking at this situation, prospects of not getting his $ back, and not winning the Hamilton lease and of course calling the loan.

Which the forlorn Otters owner couldn't pay.

Lets be clear here as well. Katz has already won the 4.5M through the courts. Did anybody read the article carefully?

All the questions in this transaction concern Bassin being a poor business owner that ended up taking a high risk loan probably because he didn't have financial standing to get this $ from the banks.

The loan was called and the deadbeat couldn't pay and didn't deliver. Par for the course in business transactions of wealthy people is they'd take something like this to court and probably win. Which Katz did. But Katz only got his money back. Not like he's trying to get something that wasn't his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad