Interesting read (in French): Latendresse concussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

quidam1981

Oct 31, 2008
http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey/201409/24/01-4803069-lnh-ca-frappe-quasiment-pour-tuer.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS2

Remember when Latendresse refused to fight Ryan White in the series against the Sens two years ago? Latendresse is saying that he did not want to fight, as his head was hurting so much that he was crying between periods.

I really love this game, I love the emotion, the physical play, the passion, but something has to be done eventually... The players are so big, strong and fast, and they practically wear body armors. Go back to soft shoulder pads and elbows, sanction open ice hits, be way more strict on late hits (if the player does not have the puck, there is no "hockey sense" in hitting him...), I don't know, something...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Latendresse was a good player, definitely a legitimate top-6. If he didn't make it, it's because of injuries.

In terms of "what needs to be done", I'm not sure what can be done, body checks are an intrinsic part of the game. It's not because of fights that Latendresse got injured many times.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Latendresse was a good player, definitely a legitimate top-6. If he didn't make it, it's because of injuries.

In terms of "what needs to be done", I'm not sure what can be done, body checks are an intrinsic part of the game. It's not because of fights that Latendresse got injured many times.

I think a move towards making an attempt at the puck mandatory as part of board play can only help.
We need to eliminate players running at players. Anyone who has played hockey knows it is probably impossible to drill someone and steal the puck at the same time. We applaud the player who can move someone off the puck and turn it up ice etc... So on the boards hit and play the puck or play the puck then hit...

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

The league needs to figure out the answer before the courts impose a solution.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

+1 here as well.
Obviously the softer equipment argument is sortof the easy answer. It would certainly help, but a step further will have to be made at some point. Or the suggestion would come from the Courts.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
+1 here as well.
Obviously the softer equipment argument is sortof the easy answer. It would certainly help, but a step further will have to be made at some point. Or the suggestion would come from the Courts.

Save my Brain...
Put the puck back into the game.

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
He shouldn't have played in the first place if his injury was that serious. Don't mess with your head, too important.

Tarasenko

Unregistered User
Oct 11, 2011
He shouldn't have played in the first place if his injury was that serious. Don't mess with your head, too important.

Try to explain that to an irrationnal fellow that'll loose his spot on the team if he misses one game

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The league needs to figure out the answer before the courts impose a solution.

The courts are not going to impose a solution.

I find that extremely unlikely.

The social purpose of Hollywood + pro sports is to provide bread and circuses to the masses, it's a very useful role to maintaining the cohesiveness of society. The government is just not going to piss on that can. They'll let hockey be.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

The head is important for most people, but most hockey players are in a position where they only know how to do one thing, play hockey. It's not as though a PhD in microbiology was a viable backup plan for Latendresse.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Unfortunate, but let's be honest, he was not going to get an NHL contract ever again. The kid wasn't any good if anyone saw what he did following his stint with the Canadiens. In an era where skating is the prime emphasis, the midget aaa players he coaches can fly with more pace then he did.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I think he couldve been a good 2nd liner for years if it wasnt for concussions.

GUI GUI GUI GUI

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
2 words, this is all we need to know. The NHL is the highest level of competition of ice hockey, this where the strongest, fastest, more courageous players come to play. If you can't take it, you don't belong in the NHL.

If you're too scared to get your head cut off, go play in a Swiss league, NHL is for the toughest hockey athletes, physically and mentally.

Disgusting and gutless comment. I guess he should have been courageous and mentally strong enough to endure the headsplitting pain and end up a vegetable, right? Who needs a brain anyway?

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
2 words, this is all we need to know. The NHL is the highest level of competition of ice hockey, this where the strongest, fastest, more courageous players come to play. If you can't take it, you don't belong in the NHL.

If you're too scared to get your head cut off, go play in a Swiss league, NHL is for the toughest hockey athletes, physically and mentally.
Getting injured has nothing to do with not being "a strong man".

Last edited by a moderator:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Getting injured has nothing to do with not being "a strong man".

That's true but his injury was not as serious as he's letting on, he's just running with that news with the french media who will believe anything from him since they put him on this pedestal when he never belonged. ''crying'' between periods, that's laughable. If any of you saw him play in Switzerland you'd know. He never had work ethic, and as years progressed it showed how bad of a Hockey player he was. Now he wants to use this crappy excuse that he was forced to retire because of concussions when A) His Work Ethic Is Not Good Enough For Professional Hockey. But then again he can't just come forward and say, ''je suis pourri eh, je ne sais pas comment patiner.'' So all power to him I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think he couldve been a good 2nd liner for years if it wasnt for concussions.

GUI GUI GUI GUI

It wasn't the concussions that prevented him from being a good 2nd liner, but his work ethic. The concussions merely prevented him from having an extended hockey career. Latendresse's problem was that he was lazy and lacked conditioning, the latter going hand in hand with the former. He got called out by his coaches in Minnesotta for being out of shape.

Very talented player, but wanted to play on his own terms. Wanted to be a finesse guy instead of using his frame, did not always give his 100%, and didn't listen to his coaches. I remember that story where Muller kept asking Latendresse to drive the net during practice, but he refused because he didn't see himself as a powerforward. He wasn't traded much longer after that incident.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Disgusting and gutless comment. I guess he should have been courageous and mentally strong enough to endure the headsplitting pain and end up a vegetable, right? Who needs a brain anyway?

The competitive nature of these guys will never allow for self-policing.
Rules changes will need to be made to help them.
Unfortunately it will probably take a death for it to happen.

I have though long and hard on this issue. How do you protect the integrity of the game?
We need to keep the speed, contact, net battles, and open ice checking as it is. One area we have targeted is the hitting from behind and the rule changes are not working all that well.
We haven't targeted the players taking runs at each other. There should be no problem forcing players to make a play on the puck either immediately prior to or after engaging physically. Players who are simply launching themselves at someone with intent to injure won't be able to and can easily be penalized. Bring the hitting along the boards back to where the sole purpose is to win the puck.
What I'm describing is what happens a good majority of the time anyways...
Its that questionable 10% we need to get rid of.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
It wasn't the concussions that prevented him from being a good 2nd liner, but his work ethic. The concussions merely prevented him from having an extended hockey career. Latendresse's problem was that he was lazy and lacked conditioning, the latter going hand in hand with the former.

Very talented player, but wanted to play on his own terms. Wanted to be a finesse guy instead of using his frame, did not always give his 100%, and didn't listen to his coaches. I remember that story where Muller kept asking Latendresse to drive the net during practice, but he refused because he didn't see himself as a powerforward. He wasn't traded much longer after that incident.

I think it would've worked out for him in Minny if he didnt get injured after the season where he got 25 goals in 55 games. The guy had an underated shot that wasnt used properly, when put in shooting situations he could really bury it. He's always been asked to be posted in front of the goalie because of his size but never really got that shooting spot on the PP because it was always kovy, AK, Cammy in that spot while he was here.

I might be wrong but I get that feeling that he could've had a decent career. Many subsequent injuries can really hurt a guy his size.

Blackshad

Oct 12, 2002

Hahaha this is so wrong on so many level.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
That's true but his injury was not as serious as he's letting on, he's just running with that news with the french media who will believe anything from him since they put him on this pedestal when he never belonged. ''crying'' between periods, that's laughable. If any of you saw him play in Switzerland you'd know. He never had work ethic, and as years progressed it showed how bad of a Hockey player he was. Now he wants to use this crappy excuse that he was forced to retire because of concussions when A) His Work Ethic Is Not Good Enough For Professional Hockey. But then again he can't just come forward and say, ''je suis pourri eh, je ne sais pas comment patiner.'' So all power to him I suppose.

What is ****ing wrong with you people. You think he missed 137 games in two years with the Wild right after his breakthrough season to lounge by the pool or post on HFBoards from his mother's basement? My god we french people must all be idiots because we'll believe anything... nice job with the added bigotry btw.

Concussion in hockey players tied to microscopic changes in brain

13 NHL Careers Cut Short By Concussions

NHL players live with concussion effects

Former Avalanche enforcer Scott Parker battling effects of concussions

The truth about concussions: Eric Lindros and other pro hockey players on their depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts

... those crybabies. :sarcasm:

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
What is ****ing wrong with you people. You think he missed 137 games in two years with the Wild right after his breakthrough season to lounge by the pool or post on HFBoards from his mother's basement? My god we french people must all be idiots because we'll believe anything... nice job with the added bigotry btw.

Concussion in hockey players tied to microscopic changes in brain

13 NHL Careers Cut Short By Concussions

NHL players live with concussion effects

Former Avalanche enforcer Scott Parker battling effects of concussions

The truth about concussions: Eric Lindros and other pro hockey players on their depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts

... those crybabies. :sarcasm:

whats wrong with you, all these players made the choice to play in the NHL, when you play in this league there's a risk of very serious injuries. Why do you think some players come back after more than 2-3 concussions, Lindros, Crosby, Patrice Bergeron just to name a few.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007

There's a lot more concussions because the players are bigger, stronger and hit a lot more than before because it's only the hittee that gets hurt now (because of the improved equipment). If we accept that a huge percentage of these brain-damaged players won't remember how to drive home at 50 years old, then let's not change a thing.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
The courts are not going to impose a solution.

I find that extremely unlikely.

The social purpose of Hollywood + pro sports is to provide bread and circuses to the masses, it's a very useful role to maintaining the cohesiveness of society. The government is just not going to piss on that can. They'll let hockey be.

The courts got involved with the NFL a year ago and the result was a $765 million settlement. "A federal judge announced the agreement Thursday after months of court-ordered mediation. It came just days before the start of the 2013 season."

http://*******.com/knej2l9

So I would say that it is not out of the realm of possibility that the courts become involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad