News Article: Interesting Q&A with Guy Lafleur

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If I'm not mistaken, Koivu knew some French, but was too uncomfortable to use it on tv.
Nah, he didn't speak a word of French. Made quips about using it in the boudoir and whatnot, but that's the extent of his francopholie.

This is pretty unrelated though, I shared Lafleur's Q&A because it was actually insightful and figured his routine haters would shut up about his supposed senility for once. I was mistaken.

Apparently, Habs legends are only respected when they're recently dead, or pimped out by the organization.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
No offense to what he represents for Habs fans....

But his opinion today to me, matters little....its outdated and filled with nostalgia.

Nothing worse than hearing/reading old legends of the game talk about the state of the game today

When you start with "in my day" ...thats where I tune out

Whats he supposed to say then when they ask him? You can only talk about what you know, he knows hockey from his era. I like his answers if even some of them are a bit loopy.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Whats he supposed to say then when they ask him? You can only talk about what you know, he knows hockey from his era. I like his answers if even some of them are a bit loopy.

Right you are people should consider that Hockey is still Hockey...
The players are bigger stronger and faster across the board with better goaltending and indestructible equipment but the concepts of the game are still the same.
Lafleur knows as much about todays game as he did when he played.
Do people scoff at Scotty Bowman when he makes remarks about todays game?
Of course they don't.
Are todays tacticians so blazingly brilliant Guy can't keep up? :laugh:
I know for a fact MT isn't. :sarcasm:

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Lafleur is spot on about the dump and chase.

I remember the late 80's when people complained about the Habs dumping and calling our coach "Platte" Burns (dull/boring).

But yet if you watch some of those old games on youtube, the Habs look like a puck possession team compared to MT's system.

Mad Brills*

Isn't he the guy who drove his son to see some lets just say other people?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Nah, he didn't speak a word of French. Made quips about using it in the boudoir and whatnot, but that's the extent of his francopholie.

This is pretty unrelated though, I shared Lafleur's Q&A because it was actually insightful and figured his routine haters would shut up about his supposed senility for once. I was mistaken.

Apparently, Habs legends are only respected when they're recently dead, or pimped out by the organization.

Why, I never!

CkhUGQhWUAAlxyu.jpg

;)

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It's truly a pleasure to hear our "Greatest Living Legend" speaking his mind, bringing the attention into focus for our fans. The Habs have so many knowledgeable HOFers to call upon, that can relate the necessities it takes to become Champions, once again. Having a continuity between the players, coaches and fans, is instrumental in becoming the "Best Team in the NHL/World" once again, a fact that "The Molson's" take pride in creating for Montreal, Quebec, Canada & Worldwide, IMHO!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Lafleur can say what he wants. He's earned that. He's our greatest living legend now. You may not agree with him, but that doesn't make him wrong.

And yes, sometimes, he jumps the boundaries of a team ambassador. But he's always been a maverick. And that's what made him loved by fans.

If you knew the man like many do here, you would know that he's a very friendly fellow.

Is he perfect? Not even close. But he's a free thinker. And what he said isn't too far from what I think.

And for those too young to have seen him, and try to believe all the stories about his off-ice behaviour, let's just say that the guy was the hardest worker during practice, would shoot pucks wayyy after players had left the ice, and would be the first player to lace'em up and skate before games. He was at the arena at 4pm for the usual 8pm starts.

Was he a smoker? Yes, like half of players, and people of that era. Did he mingle with ladies? Sure did.But they still do it. So what's the big deal.

Lafleur had the best stamina of all pro athletes IN THE WORLD, equal to that of Bjorn Born (studies were made). His heartbeat rate was as low as they come even after a massive effort. Guy was a freak of nature. Still is: go shake his hand!

Last edited:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He's always short-sighted. His argument on the language issue for instance only revolves around coaches talking to players. We're not in the 70s anymore, coaches need to speak to fans, media, sick children, etc.. etc...

Actually, because we're not in the 70s anymore, what the coach says can be translated for you in a matter of moments, into the language of your choice, even if he's speaking Swahili. Can't hide behind the backwoods Quebec excuse anymore because the internet is there, too.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Lafleur could say "The Sky is Blue, Water is Wet" and posters over would be all "How could this old man say this, he's out of touch and should shut up!".

Could it be that some of you have deep-rooted Daddy Issues maybe? :nod:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Actually, because we're not in the 70s anymore, what the coach says can be translated for you in a matter of moments, into the language of your choice, even if he's speaking Swahili. Can't hide behind the backwoods Quebec excuse anymore because the internet is there, too.

That's really not the issue here.

If the Habs hire a coach unable to speak french they need to be able to make the case that the coach they hired is above and beyond the candidates able to speak french.

Should it be that way? Probably not. But it's not a matter of translation.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
That's really not the issue here.

If the Habs hire a coach unable to speak french they need to be able to make the case that the coach they hired is above and beyond the candidates able to speak french.

Should it be that way? Probably not. But it's not a matter of translation.

Yes it is. Because it's not like the coach is going around Quebec visiting everyone's home for a chat now, is it. You can find absolutely everything the coach ever says publicly in any language of your choice these days. You're not missing anything. And if it gives reason for anyone to brush up on their English skills because it's that important to them, then it can hardly be a bad thing, either.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
I have a lot of respect for the player he was but he strikes me as such a grumpy old man now. It seems every time he makes a comment it's to be negative about something the organization did, or how thing aren't like they used to, etc. It doesn't help that local media always rushes to put a mike in front of him about every little subject, like he's some sort of hockey savant. There's a reason why he never got a coaching/managing job after his career was over. Him and PK actually have a lot in common personality wise, more that he seems to realize.

I agree with a lot of things Lafleur talks about:

1. long beards should be banned...should be a set standard for the league
2. dump in and chase...lack of success...boring hockey...not fan friendly...no proof of success
3. Subhan...great player...keep his personality...avoid being too loud and boisterous...sucks the wind out of the changeroom...jovial and friendly and comical appreciated...loud mouth and show off not particularly liked
4. Kirk Muller will help Pacioretty become a better leader and captain

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yes it is. Because it's not like the coach is going around Quebec visiting everyone's home for a chat now, is it. You can find absolutely everything the coach ever says publicly in any language of your choice these days. You're not missing anything. And if it gives reason for anyone to brush up on their English skills because it's that important to them, then it can hardly be a bad thing, either.

Again, it's really not.

The vast majority of casual fans (who also happen to be the majority of the fanbase) don't even watch the coach's presser.

This is not something you will ever understand if you're a native English speaker born outside Quebec, this issue will never make sense to you.

But it's not a matter of translation (of what the coach say). It never was and never will be.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Being a legendary player who was the best on a team that brought 5 cups helps his cause. Saku won nothing in the NHL. On a hockey point of view, I must say that I respect le Démon blond's opinion a tad more than Koivu's.

Lafleur played on a Habs team with many HOF players. Koivu didn't. You shouldn't blame Koivu for the quality of his teammates. On the other hand, I blame Lafleur for leading a lifestyle that shortened his career and truncated his potential career stats.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012

No, the opposite is exactly true. In the 70s, people follow their team through the newspapers. So, translation is fine back then because they READ about what the coach says; they don't HEAR it.

Nowadays, the situation is different. Modern technology allows people to follow their team, not only via newspapers, but also on TV and the Internet. These two mediums means that people now have the ability to not just READ but HEAR what the coach says, and they can also hear it in real-time. When you want to HEAR someone say something, then translation sucks. You want to hear the original language, listen to the tone of voice, whether he is happy or frustrated or sad and so on.

Back in the 70s, the coach only needs to speak to the players. Nowadays, he does that AND does public speaking. Since the majority of Canadiens fans are francophone, it's a personable touch to have the coach speak the same language so that the francophone fans know that the team represents them (which it does because it plays for MONTREAL and since it is the only team in Quebec, it also plays for Quebec). Duh!

I am an anglophone and I am fed up with anglophones (especially Canadian) constantly bringing up the language issue. It is a common practice in European soccer leagues to have the coach speak the local language so why not here in Montreal and Quebec despite the fact that French is one of the two official languages of Canada.

IceHockeyfan

Feb 18, 2012

Brushing up on French skills is not a bad thing either. Isn't French an official language of Canada? Most countries require their citizens to learn at least two languages (Finland requires four languages!) so why can't Canada be bothered to learn a second language, never mind the other official language of Canada. French is not hard to learn. It can be done in three years of your time and the Internet and TV are full of French-language sources to draw from.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Brushing up on French skills is not a bad thing either. Isn't French an official language of Canada? Most countries require their citizens to learn at least two languages (Finland requires four languages!) so why can't Canada be bothered to learn a second language, never mind the other official language of Canada. French is not hard to learn. It can be done in three years of your time and the Internet and TV are full of French-language sources to draw from.

We've been doing the French coach thing for a while now. Gotten us far. Maybe time to start competing in the 2010s and be open to English, Russian, Finnish, Swedish... whatever coaches who deserve consideration when making a change. It's not about making our French population victims. It's about not being held back by settling for less. Guy obviously agrees.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
No, the opposite is exactly true. In the 70s, people follow their team through the newspapers. So, translation is fine back then because they READ about what the coach says; they don't HEAR it.

Nowadays, the situation is different. Modern technology allows people to follow their team, not only via newspapers, but also on TV and the Internet. These two mediums means that people now have the ability to not just READ but HEAR what the coach says, and they can also hear it in real-time. When you want to HEAR someone say something, then translation sucks. You want to hear the original language, listen to the tone of voice, whether he is happy or frustrated or sad and so on.

Back in the 70s, the coach only needs to speak to the players. Nowadays, he does that AND does public speaking. Since the majority of Canadiens fans are francophone, it's a personable touch to have the coach speak the same language so that the francophone fans know that the team represents them (which it does because it plays for MONTREAL and since it is the only team in Quebec, it also plays for Quebec). Duh!

I am an anglophone and I am fed up with anglophones (especially Canadian) constantly bringing up the language issue. It is a common practice in European soccer leagues to have the coach speak the local language so why not here in Montreal and Quebec despite the fact that French is one of the two official languages of Canada.

Translators are a common sight in European soccer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad