Interesting Info: Part XXII (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Based on a recent 32 Thoughts segments of best and worst NHL draft classes, I have compiled nominees for best and worst CBJ draft classes based on draftee's NHL careers (not just with CBJ).

Nominees for best CBJ draft class:
-2005: a record-2,304 NHL games played, including 1,424 by defensemen. Brule, McQuaid, Russell, and Boll
-2006: 2,158 NHL games played, including a record-1,682 by forwards as well as 476 by goalies, though *zero* games played by drafted Dmen. Brassard, Mason, Sestito, Dorsett
-2015: 1,661 NHL games played by draftees at the time of this post and obviously the potential for hundreds more games from Werenski and Gavrikov. The 495 points by Dmen is already a record for a CBJ draft class. Werenski, Carlsson, Stenlund, Kolesar, Gavrikov, Nutivaara
-2002: not the depth of the others, but Nash still stands alone as the best draft pick but the Jackets. This draft class is nearly just him, but it does include 936 points from forwards, which is a CBJ draft class record.

Worst nominees:
-2000 - just 826 games played from draftees, including only 28 (and five points) from forwards. Only three guys ever saw NHL action, most notably Klesla.
-2004 - a CBJ draft record-low 374 games played by draftees. Grant Clitsome had the best career with 205 games played. No other draftee cleared 100.
-2014 - still ongoing, but only two draftees ever made it to the NHL - Milano and Merzlikins, and both are trending down.

I only went through the 2017 draft class as a lot is still happening for the last 10 or so draft classes. Pretty amazingly there were no Dmen drafted who made it to the NHL from 2006, 2007, 2014, and 2017 (the 2013 class featured 23 games from Dillon Heatherington).

The only players to make it to the NHL from 2009 were John Moore and David Savard.

My picks are 2015 will end up being the best class and 2004 was the worst.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
-2004 - a CBJ draft record-low 374 games played by draftees. Grant Clitsome had the best career with 205 games played. No other draftee cleared 100.
-2014 - still ongoing, but only two draftees ever made it to the NHL - Milano and Merzlikins, and both are trending down.

I only went through the 2017 draft class as a lot is still happening for the last 10 or so draft classes. Pretty amazingly there were no Dmen drafted who made it to the NHL from 2006, 2007, 2014, and 2017 (the 2013 class featured 23 games from Dillon Heatherington).

The only players to make it to the NHL from 2009 were John Moore and David Savard.

This Clitter disrespect will not stand.

• Haha
Reactions: DarkandStormy

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Based on a recent 32 Thoughts segments of best and worst NHL draft classes, I have compiled nominees for best and worst CBJ draft classes based on draftee's NHL careers (not just with CBJ).

Nominees for best CBJ draft class:
-2005: a record-2,304 NHL games played, including 1,424 by defensemen. Brule, McQuaid, Russell, and Boll
-2006: 2,158 NHL games played, including a record-1,682 by forwards as well as 476 by goalies, though *zero* games played by drafted Dmen. Brassard, Mason, Sestito, Dorsett
-2015: 1,661 NHL games played by draftees at the time of this post and obviously the potential for hundreds more games from Werenski and Gavrikov. The 495 points by Dmen is already a record for a CBJ draft class. Werenski, Carlsson, Stenlund, Kolesar, Gavrikov, Nutivaara
-2002: not the depth of the others, but Nash still stands alone as the best draft pick but the Jackets. This draft class is nearly just him, but it does include 936 points from forwards, which is a CBJ draft class record.

Worst nominees:
-2000 - just 826 games played from draftees, including only 28 (and five points) from forwards. Only three guys ever saw NHL action, most notably Klesla.

Does McQuaid count since he refused to sign here and then only played 14 games in a CBJ uniform at the very end of his career?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Gaudreau and Werenski both confirmed for team USA WC in Prague. Guess Guerin's warning that if you want Fourt Nations and Olympic consideration and don't have another obligation, you'd better be in Prague made an impact.

Others include Zegras, BTkachuk, Caufield, and Jones. Team USA might be the gold favorite this year depending how Team Canada shakes out with who's injured or still in the playoffs.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Gaudreau and Werenski both confirmed for team USA WC in Prague. Guess Guerin's warning that if you want Fourt Nations and Olympic consideration and don't have another obligation, you'd better be in Prague made an impact.

Others include Zegras, BTkachuk, Caufield, and Jones. Team USA might be the gold favorite this year depending how Team Canada shakes out with who's injured or still in the playoffs.
step 1: gaudreau and brady tkachuk dominate at worlds
step 2: blockbuster trade to bring brady to columbus
step 3: gaudreau - fantilli - tkachuk top line dominates

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

The Werenski, Jones pair again in the action. ;)

step 1: gaudreau and brady tkachuk dominate at worlds
step 2: blockbuster trade to bring brady to columbus
step 3: gaudreau - fantilli - tkachuk top line dominates
step 4: and then you woke up to sunny morning ;)

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Porty mentioned in his latest Podcast that he expects McElligot to get a good look as the next CBJ play by play guy…

That might be the only person worse than Rimer tbh.
Whether one likes him or not, I think most would agree his style is a better fit for radio. Of course his style may adjust if on TV. That said, he wouldn’t be my choice.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Porty mentioned in his latest Podcast that he expects McElligot to get a good look as the next CBJ play by play guy…

That might be the only person worse than Rimer tbh.
I don't know if anyone here ever goes to the OHL site, but when you click on a game, it starts the video/audio highlights. There are a ton of very good OHL announcers who may not have a "name" but would be quite good as local NHL TV PBP guys and would probably come with very low compensation requirements.

The problem that the CBJ would have in identifying an excellent candidate from the OHL is that the current management tends toward a one interview per position model. It would take a ton of work to sift through all of the candidates to find the right one.

He’s quite nearly the Mike Todd of play by play. So much hokey golly gee crap.
I'm going to get you a Mike Todd jersey autographed by McElligot.:laugh:

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He’s quite nearly the Mike Todd of play by play. So much hokey golly gee crap.
This. So very this. Listening to Jackets games on the radio used to be how I refreshed my fandom when it was Matthews calling it, and McElligott by contrast has made it near-unlistenable for me because of that nonsense - drop it and he'd be fine, but he's never going to drop it. If he gets promoted... :(

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

From Porty on The Athletic​

Columbus Blue Jackets​

90 different line combinations: This figured to be a chaotic season for the Blue Jackets lineup with so many new faces and so many young players. That’s exactly how it played out. We’ve tracked the lines at the start of games this season, and — with two games still to play — coach Pascal Vincent has used 90 different lineup combinations. Take top forward Johnny Gaudreau, for instance. He’s played with five different centers — Patrik Laine, Adam Fantilli, Boone Jenner, Cole Sillinger, Dmitry Voronkov — spending most of those games with Jenner. He’s also played with 11 different right wingers — Laine, Sillinger, Voronkov, Justin Danforth, Kirill Marchenko, Jack Roslovic, Yegor Chinakhov, Emil Bemstrom, Alexandre Texier, Kent Johnson and Alex Nylander. In that sense, is it really that shocking that Gaudreau has a career-low 11 goals this season? — Aaron Portzline

I know injuries played a part but that seems a bit ridiculous. I would think it made developing any kind of chemistry very difficult if not impossible.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

From Porty on The Athletic​

Columbus Blue Jackets​

90 different line combinations: This figured to be a chaotic season for the Blue Jackets lineup with so many new faces and so many young players. That’s exactly how it played out. We’ve tracked the lines at the start of games this season, and — with two games still to play — coach Pascal Vincent has used 90 different lineup combinations. Take top forward Johnny Gaudreau, for instance. He’s played with five different centers — Patrik Laine, Adam Fantilli, Boone Jenner, Cole Sillinger, Dmitry Voronkov — spending most of those games with Jenner. He’s also played with 11 different right wingers — Laine, Sillinger, Voronkov, Justin Danforth, Kirill Marchenko, Jack Roslovic, Yegor Chinakhov, Emil Bemstrom, Alexandre Texier, Kent Johnson and Alex Nylander. In that sense, is it really that shocking that Gaudreau has a career-low 11 goals this season? — Aaron Portzline

I know injuries played a part but that seems a bit ridiculous. I would think it made developing any kind of chemistry very difficult if not impossible.
Absent context It’s hard to know how “egregious” this is.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
FWIW, Portzline was asked on his podcast if people around the league think there will be a new coach here next year with a new GM coming in

Portzline responded by saying he thinks personally it’s 50/50 but people around the league think that there will be a new coach.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad