News Article: Interesting Habs analysis

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I've been saying that for over a year. Strange last year nobody was listening to me.

That's not the problem.

SAT, just like any other stats, needs context. See my previous post.

And, for the record, we also had great advanced stats when we were dominating during the first 20-25 games.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Screw these advance stats.

When will we have actual % or time of possession as well as time spent in possession in each zone, etc.

Basing possession and control of play on the number of shots attempts is weak IMO.

Follow Sport Logiq on twitter. They track and post some pretty amazing stats.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Follow Sport Logiq on twitter. They track and post some pretty amazing stats.

Chris Boucher is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to fancy stats. Instead of saying it's "unsustainable" like your average arrogant Corsi obsession analytic, he digs and finds reasons as to why they are successful.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Chris Boucher is pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to fancy stats. Instead of saying it's "unsustainable" like your average arrogant Corsi obsession analytic, he digs and finds reasons as to why they are successful.

I like the guy, I appreciate the approach. But he seems to have a serious love affair with Desharnais. And sometimes Therrien.

It's like when he dug up that stat whereas Desharnais was, specifically, our most succesful guy when it comes to passing the puck to Pacioretty in the slot. No... seriously? You had to do some analysis for that?

Whenever Desharnais is on the ice with Patches, he's gonna focus all of his attention to passing the puck to his buddy. Of course some interesting shooting numbers will come out of it. And that's regardless of overall team success.

So yeah, in that case Boucher has it completely backwards. Desharnais focusing on one very specific thing (passing to Patches) will generate some seemingly good shooting statistics. But when you take a step back, you realize that it makes them (and the team) completely predictable and unefficient.

Context is everything there and I'm surprised a guy like Chris Boucher was fooled by this apparent DD-Patches chemistry.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Toenails has instructed players to shoot shoot shoot: quantity over quality. High shot totals provides him this sort of lame excuse.
Doesn't matter. Even when we get in a good position to shoot, we miss the net 9 times out of 10.

rafal majka

Sep 29, 2004
Reaction time of an NHL goalie is 0.2-second minimum. Past a certain distance from the net, goalie's reflexes are not sufficiënt. Goalie can only rely on positioning and guessing. From the slot (20 feest away) a 100 Miles per hour slap, enters goal in 0.14-second. See the book The Physics of Hockey by Alain Haché.

The whole Michel Therrien offensive system is to put the puck from all the low-percentage areas which artificially inflates shot numbers. Goalie has tons of reaction time...

Plus if the case may be, an advantage of reaching the slot to shoot, instead of having only one guy fetching the rebound, the shooter can also be there to take his rebound. Michel Therrien's system is based on old-antiquated Notions from the stand-up goaltender era and just does not Work.

Perhaps it's my anti-Therrien bias but when I can stomach to watch the Habs recently I see them playing an essentially North-South game. They are getting shots away - sometimes lots of them. But they don't seem to be getting lots of passes across the "Royal Road' or players carrying the puck through the "Royal Road" and getting the high quality shot away. It's pretty basic strategy to tell your players that you've got to get the goalie moving side to side in order to get one past.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Perhaps it's my anti-Therrien bias but when I can stomach to watch the Habs recently I see them playing an essentially North-South game. They are getting shots away - sometimes lots of them. But they don't seem to be getting lots of passes across the "Royal Road' or players carrying the puck through the "Royal Road" and getting the high quality shot away. It's pretty basic strategy to tell your players that you've got to get the goalie moving side to side in order to get one past.
Therrien abhors East-West play, plain & simple. He feels it's too risky and generates turnovers which leads to scoring chances against. He's spent years coaching it right out of this team and we see the results.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Only one Hab will sacrifice the body by going to the net. Coach can preach all he wants about driving the net. Get some bodies that are willing to sacrifice to do just that.
Carr was hanging around the net probably why he scored some goals and got sent down for it:laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Funny to read this year that what matters is the eye test, while last year it was all about advanced stats. Poor Therrien, he cannot win with such bad faith.

Not at all, the advanced stats backed up the eye test last year. Contrary to belief, people don't look at stats and then form their opinions. They watch the games. It looks bad, others argue ''but we won!!'' so they used advanced stats to back up their point.
And it wasn't just one or two metric, it was pretty much across the board for the stats that didn't involve Price.

At the beginning of the stretch, people said we were playing better than our record. That's just not true anymore. We are playing like garbage, taking stupid decisions with the puck. As soon as we enter the zone, it seems all we want to do is ''get puck at net'', which would explain our high amount of shots. We are trying to score garbage goals every time we enter the zone. Just not working.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This article is an example of how useless advanced stats are in the hands of anyone other than the experts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad