Interesting defensive strategy from Colorado

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this play was one of those matter of milliseconds types of play. that puck could have easily hit Zadarov in a skate his stick or anywhere else, and that play wouldn't even happened and Stars won't score on that scenario.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid had the worst controller disconnected out of any NHL player, and this might be similar to Oilers' defensive glitch

ziYkw0r.jpg
Nope. Crosby was covered by 2 Oilers other than McD and made them look silly. As if McD is expected to be the 3rd man on Crosby.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Shit thread is shit. Hockey is a game with a million mistakes in it.
Yep, I thought Kadri had a great playoff. 17 points, 9 of which were goals, 5 of which were game winners. Too bad Colorado lost. Kadri could have had a shot at the conn smythe.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Give Kiviranta some credit, he did great to get himself some space. It's not like he stayed there for 10 seconds waiting for the pass

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Just before the pass happened, whoever was just behind Kadri in the picture actually pushed him on his hip in the direction of Kirivanta. He saw that Kadri had lost his man.

Way back when I played, we were always taught that you weren't covering a man in front properly unless you were touching him. That way, you could feel him move away if if your eyes were elsewhere. You don't have to mug him- just be touching him constantly. Does no one teach that anymore? I see plays like this happen every game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Bowness worked hard in the delay to develop a scheme where the D activate more to create much needed offense and it worked. Maybe the Avs were incredulous that 2 Dallas D cycled below the net, lol. Typical Stars would be turyling. Playing not to lose, so it surprised us, too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The fact that Oleksiak started the play off, and didn't screw things up somehow, was surprising. He made a lot of mistakes leading to goals against.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The fact that Oleksiak started the play off, and didn't screw things up somehow, was surprising. He made a lot of mistakes leading to goals against.

He did, but I thought he was shockingly effective for the first 3-4 games of the series. I had not seen him play at that level previously. It may have been a temporary thing.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
tc9jcp61s7l51.png

Kadri playing like he's still on the Leafs with the coverage here. His defensive awareness hinders his game at C.

That's Sekera, a defenceman, behind the net...
If only they still had Barrie. Dubas really fleeced them. Wonderful for the leafs

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
IRC the in the US feed someone said the refs told Kivi to move out of the crease or it would be called goalie interference or something like that. So he did and no Avs players followed him.
He was standing infront of the net like every player throughout the entire game by every player.

He was doing NOTHING remotely close to being interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He was standing infront of the net like every player throughout the entire game by every player.

He was doing NOTHING remotely close to being interference.

When i heard that in while re-watching it with US commentary ( watched it live with Canadian ) this one confused me. I also didn't hear anything from the refs. He was just standing around the net not exactly hassling anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
this play was one of those matter of milliseconds types of play. that puck could have easily hit Zadarov in a skate his stick or anywhere else, and that play wouldn't even happened and Stars won't score on that scenario.

Lots of things COULD happen, that's why xone coverage and positioning is critical. You have to put yourself in the best situation as possible. Stuff is still going to happen but at least you aren't contributing to it.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Correct. What the pic in the OP doesn't show is that Kadri followed Hintz out to the right at the same time Kiviranta was pulling away to the left and Zadorov pushed towards Sekera. It was a matter of less than a second then Kiviranta was out of reach and free to shoot. In hindsight it's easy to say Kadri should have stayed on Kivi but the problem for the Avs was really they ended up gassed against fresh legs.

Reactions: klozge

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Kadri is good at 1v1 shadow assignments, but he doesn't have the IQ to play smart zone defense. Great if you need someone to frustrate McDavid, but otherwise leaves a lot to be desired.

Avs have the exact same problem with Zadorov who is also coincidentally out there puck watching. This was a pretty bad lack of focus and awareness at a critical time

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Correct. What the pic in the OP doesn't show is that Kadri followed Hintz out to the right at the same time Kiviranta was pulling away to the left and Zadorov pushed towards Sekera. It was a matter of less than a second then Kiviranta was out of reach and free to shoot. In hindsight it's easy to say Kadri should have stayed on Kivi but the problem for the Avs was really they ended up gassed against fresh legs.

Yeah the Avs main horses left standing were gassed towards the end of this game - Mackinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Makar. Plus individual shifts were too long at times

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Yeah the Avs main horses left standing were gassed towards the end of this game - Mackinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Makar. Plus individual shifts were too long at times
Stuff like this happens when you put Dries and Connauton in your lineup to replace Landeskog and Timmins and then don't even play them. I don't get why Byram even was in the bubble.
Oh well, one day Bednar will be gone. And although there are many good things to say about this coach, I can't wait for this day to arrive.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Kadri was horrendous yesterday and was a major reason the Avs lost.

But he will be excused by people who barely watched the game and just stat watch.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

But he will be excused by people who barely watched the game and just stat watch.
He had another goal, hit a post, with just a bit of luck it would have been two and he would have had the game winner yet again. 4 hits tied for most on the team. Yeah real horrendous just atrocious.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It was the end of a long shift, tired legs and Sekera and Oleksiak are only a threat in their own end...
Little things add up. Like tiny Joel...

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yep, I thought Kadri had a great playoff. 17 points, 9 of which were goals, 5 of which were game winners. Too bad Colorado lost. Kadri could have had a shot at the conn smythe.

I don't think he should be let off the hook because he was able to score points on the best offensive team in hockey, but I guess that's what happens when you are the Toronto Loses A Trade angel of HFBoards.

Reactions: kelso

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010

No, he is being lambasted by people who didn't notice Graves literally kicking the puck out from Kadri's stick for the tying goal or the entire five men unit being totally gassed before the GWG.

kelso

Jul 15, 2020
No, he is being lambasted by people who didn't notice Graves literally kicking the puck out from Kadri's stick for the tying goal or the entire five men unit being totally gassed before the GWG.

Kadri should've been more careful with the puck at his own blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad