Interesting article on the Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Very interesting stuff. My favorite part:

"Last year, we talked to one goalie who told us that his mind wanders on the ice sometimes and a goal beats him because he was thinking about girls in the stands," said one amateur scouting director, who admitted that his team ended up selecting the day-dreaming netminder anyway."

Last edited:

degroat*

Schremp's 'flab' probably doesn't do much for his draft stock.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stich said:

Yeah I suppose, although hockey is a sport where you don't have to be ripped to pieces to excel, and by all accounts he was fit enough to do well on the conditioning tests, so who cares if he doesn't look like a body builder?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Seachd said:

""Last year, we talked to one goalie who told us that his mind wanders on the ice sometimes and a goal beats him because he was thinking about girls in the stands," said one amateur scouting director, who admitted that his team ended up selecting the day-dreaming netminder anyway."

Sounds a lot like Fluery, no? :D

I don't think I know of another prospect from last year that would be that candid and forthcoming about himself.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
there was a second ovechkin-centered article on espn also, clothes talk was in that one. the links on their main hockey page

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
Broadway Crosby said:
I didn't see anything about Ovy's outfit.

It's another article:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1812737

Meanwhile, Ovechkin was as casual as casual could be. And against a backdrop of conservative suits, he was wearing fire-engine red jeans, matching wrestling shoes and a stretchy t-shirt that looked like it had been painted on. He also had some sort of suspenders -- not on his shoulders, but hanging down loosely -- that must be the height of fashion somewhere.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Stich said:
dont see it hurting him either. im sure whoever drafts him will sweat a few pounds off him before he plays. if he can do what he does a few pounds heavy - how much better will he be when he turns it to muscle? he opbviuosly is a pretty special player as is - even if you think he is a problem, he is at least a top 12 guy. it should not affect his drafts position at all, though im sure the media will make something of it on draft day. being around the other top guys and seeing the difference for himself will probably be enough motivation for him to hit the stationary bikes a bit.

degroat*

I could see it hurting him simply because of the 'stuff' we've heard before... being out of shape implies that he might not dedicated. Perhaps a team that wasn't going to buy into the stuff being reported would have their opinoin swayed by his conditioning?

Dont get me wrong... I'd love to have him in my organization and I've defended him numerous times... these are just the types of things that can hurt a prospect.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Stich said:
I could see it hurting him simply because of the 'stuff' we've heard before... being out of shape implies that he might not dedicated. Perhaps a team that wasn't going to buy into the stuff being reported would have their opinoin swayed by his conditioning?

Does that necessarily mean he's out of shape, though? As the article said, he's not as ripped as a lot of the other players. But it didn't say he was out of shape.

I don't really see it hurting him either. I think he's still got a good chance to go top 10.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
I might be off on this one but I honestly believe outside of Ovechkin, Schremp has the most pressure riding on him in this year's draft...he's been over analyzed just as much as AO and the number of people who want to see him fail is getting longer as the days count down to the draft...not saying he's completely innocent but a lot of people are jumping on the "Lets Hate Schremp" bandwagon...Im neither a fan or hater of the guy so I could careless if he becomes an NHL player, just alittle shocked by the amount of posts that dog him on this website...mabye the London trade wasnt the best PR move on his part but at 18 he shouldn't be counted on to making the right decision 24/7

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
BMWM3owner said:
I might be off on this one but I honestly believe outside of Ovechkin, Schremp has the most pressure riding on him in this year's draft...he's been over analyzed just as much as AO and the number of people who want to see him fail is getting longer as the days count down to the draft...not saying he's completely innocent but a lot of people are jumping on the "Lets Hate Schremp" bandwagon...Im neither a fan or hater of the guy so I could careless if he becomes an NHL player, just alittle shocked by the amount of posts that dog him on this website...mabye the London trade wasnt the best PR move on his part but at 18 he shouldn't be counted on to making the right decision 24/7

It's insane. I remember the Schremp talk dating way back to the old style HF boards, 3-4 years ago.

I don't think Ovechkin has faced the same level of scrutiny for as long as Schremp has, either.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Postman said:
It's insane. I remember the Schremp talk dating way back to the old style HF boards, 3-4 years ago.

I don't think Ovechkin has faced the same level of scrutiny for as long as Schremp has, either.

When the talk first started I wasn't even sure Schremp was a real player, someone similar to Dustin Rose. Than he started to receive some pub playing in Syracuse, was the number one overall draft pick in the OHL, OHL rookie of the year, and than......here we are. I just can't believe his move to London is the sole reason so many people dislike him on this board. Is it because he's "flashy?" Is it because he's an American? I'd like to know.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
When the talk first started I wasn't even sure Schremp was a real player, someone similar to Dustin Rose. Than he started to receive some pub playing in Syracuse, was the number one overall draft pick in the OHL, OHL rookie of the year, and than......here we are. I just can't believe his move to London is the sole reason so many people dislike him on this board. Is it because he's "flashy?" Is it because he's an American? I'd like to know.

I'm pretty sure its because he demanded a trade from Missisaugua and he's a little chubby. But, he's bigger than I thought, 6'0'' 200?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Seachd said:

"Last year, we talked to one goalie who told us that his mind wanders on the ice sometimes and a goal beats him because he was thinking about girls in the stands," said one amateur scouting director, who admitted that his team ended up selecting the day-dreaming netminder anyway."

That would be Jonathan Boutin

Gaurenteed.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Seachd said:

I cpoied that same thing and was goona say the exact thing before I saw you had already said it. Man I want to know who that was so bad. Seeing that the only guy who prbobly wouldnt be huirt by saying that was Fleury-it wouldnt matter cause theyd pick him anyway.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
nurminen31 said:
Are you saying that because you think hes terrible or are you saying that because you know taht for sure. Just curious.

There reports around here last year that he day dreamed in the net and was more concerned with what was going on in the stands.

And he usually let in a soft goal early in games.

And he was picked pretty high.

Everything added up. Not really knocking him, as most 17 year olds are into girls lol

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Rabid Ranger said:

Spezza basically does the samething by wanting to be traded out of Missisaugua, yet thats somehow ok...guess its a double standard

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
La-La-Laprise said:
There reports around here last year that he day dreamed in the net and was more concerned with what was going on in the stands.

And he usually let in a soft goal early in games.

And he was picked pretty high.

Everything added up. Not really knocking him, as most 17 year olds are into girls lol

Just so you know, most guys who are older are into girls too :D

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Stich said:

I remember seeing tape of Stall last year at the combine on the bike and he wasn't looking as fit as some of the other guys either, and had a fair bit of 'flab'. But didn't really hurt his draft stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad