Interest in Tavares?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
This question, and the responses it's generating, are such a good litmus test for this forum lol. Thanks for posting it.
Yeah, I mean, I don't know... I've wasted time in worse ways than the few minutes of vetting thought process, haha.

Reactions: jaster

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I would definitely do it. The reason is simple. We trade 2 roster players for 1. It opens 1 roster spot which we need.
Fabbri, Maatta/Holl +++ for Tavares +++
I have no idea what Toronto has to do with their cap space. Tavares has 1 year left, Fabbri and Maatta too. So 7M for 11M. They get 4M cap space.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
So based on the end of season press conference today, that entire core minus Nylander is on the table.

Kasper+Berg+2024 1st for Marner please.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I would definitely do it. The reason is simple. We trade 2 roster players for 1. It opens 1 roster spot which we need.
Fabbri, Maatta/Holl +++ for Tavares +++
I have no idea what Toronto has to do with their cap space. Tavares has 1 year left, Fabbri and Maatta too. So 7M for 11M. They get 4M cap space.

Don't forget to add a 2nd round pick and 50% retention for Tavarres, lol.

Trevling covets our garbage. All of it. He's in the dumpster right now wearing a Nomex suit because as you know, our dumpster is on fire.

• Haha
Reactions: 14ari13

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
So based on the end of season press conference today, that entire core minus Nylander is on the table.

Kasper+Berg+2024 1st for Marner please.
I doubt Toronto trades Marner without a defenseman coming back to them. Even if they free up cap space making a trade like that it's slim pickings in the UFA market for Dmen.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Don't forget to add a 2nd round pick and 50% retention for Tavarres, lol.

Trevling covets our garbage. All of it. He's in the dumpster right now wearing a Nomex suit because as you know, our dumpster is on fire.
I am not sure what you mean, but judging by your response you completely misunderstood what I wrote.
I can simplify it for you. I'll simply just drop the names.

We trade
1. 4M+3/3/2,5M for 11M.
The Leafs get 4-5M cap space. We can afford some cap space.
2. We trade 2 roster spots for 1. This gives us one roster spot which we (desperately need)

Yzerman has obviously signed up too many veterans and buying out bad contracts is not an option.
We just got rid of Vranas buyout and soon Abdelkaders too. Buying out players is a huge mistake for Yzerman at this point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I am not sure what you mean, but judging by your response you completely misunderstood what I wrote.
I can simplify it for you. I'll simply just drop the names.

We trade
1. 4M+3/3/2,5M for 11M.
The Leafs get 4-5M cap space. We can afford some cap space.
2. We trade 2 roster spots for 1. This gives us one roster spot which we (desperately need)

Yzerman has obviously signed up too many veterans and buying out bad contracts is not an option.
We just got rid of Vranas buyout and soon Abdelkaders too. Buying out players is a huge mistake for Yzerman at this point.
Toronto does not want our garbage dude.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Toronto does not want our garbage dude.

I don't know, priority makes pretty good bins I hear, so just put the players in one of the brand new dumpster style ones and they might like it.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
I thought SY likes to create a winning culture, why would he trade for one of Torntos poster boys of losing?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
The move for Toronto if Tavares will waive his NTC is Chicago/ Seth Jones.

No way they accept the above trade from the Red Wings, they'll be able to get better, Petry has a NTC as well that'd have to be waived if I remember right.

Did it seem like Auston Matthews might be available?

WestlakeWingFan

May 10, 2024
The move for Toronto if Tavares will waive his NTC is Chicago/ Seth Jones.

No way they accept the above trade from the Red Wings, they'll be able to get better, Petry has a NTC as well that'd have to be waived if I remember right.

Did it seem like Auston Matthews might be available?
Correct on the NMC for Petry. He came home to finish his career. Not going anywhere unless he retires, but with three teams paying him that’s highly unlikely.

No chance Toronto moves Matthews.

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
no to JT or Marner. great in the reg season but dog shit in po. we dont need them or their salary. rather keep our prospects and let them grow. or if trade a prospect for someone that brings so much more.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
no to JT or Marner. great in the reg season but dog shit in po. we dont need them or their salary. rather keep our prospects and let them grow. or if trade a prospect for someone that brings so much more.
Maybe Red Wings should make playoffs for a change before talking about dog shit. I would really enjoy see Tavares as a Red Wing struggeling in playoffs. It is almost impossible to fit Tavares under the cap though, Leafs need to pay handsomely to make it happen.

Reactions: FMichael

WingFanSD

Jul 19, 2011
Maybe Red Wings should make playoffs for a change before talking about dog shit. I would really enjoy see Tavares as a Red Wing struggeling in playoffs. It is almost impossible to fit Tavares under the cap though, Leafs need to pay handsomely to make it happen.
yeah maybe but i rather not see JT on the team. we were close to making it with out him. rather try and make it with younger players and bring a ufa if possible. rather see a struggling rookie in the playoffs then a 11m player. rather see a future wing that will be with them for yrs and not someone who will be around a yr or 2.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I too would not mind seeing JT in Detroit - he would instantly become that bonafide 2nd line center that everyone feels we need…But yeah - with only 1 yr left under contract - it is a hefty cap hit…I would assume he’d likely play another 2, or 3 seasons after next - likely with a reduced cap hit.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad