Proposal: Interest in Petro for St Louis

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
For a year and a half of Pietrangelo? Not really interested considering what the price would be. I'd much rather they continue developing Hague and Brannstrom.

They don't need another puck mover. What they need is a bottom pairing guy that can kill penalties and play LD/RD like Coburn.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
For a year and a half of Pietrangelo? Not really interested considering what the price would be. I'd much rather they continue developing Hague and Brannstrom.

They don't need another puck mover. What they need is a bottom pairing guy that can kill penalties and play LD/RD like Coburn.
Fair enough. Kind of what I thought too looking at your roster and prospects

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
I actually think Petro would be a fantastic fit. He's not just a puck mover. He's a legit two-way top pairing dman, which IMO is what we need, not another bottom pair dman which we have in spades. The only one of those we currently have is Schmidt. You put Petro next to Theo and that is a really good top 4. Problem is I can't see any of Brannstrom/Glass/Hague being available and Miller would also need to be in the deal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I actually think Petro would be a fantastic fit. He's not just a puck mover. He's a legit two-way top pairing dman, which IMO is what we need, not another bottom pair dman which we have in spades. The only one of those we currently have is Schmidt. You put Petro next to Theo and that is a really good top 4. Problem is I can't see any of Brannstrom/Glass/Hague being available and Miller would also need to be in the deal.

Holden and Merrill aren't good enough to be regular bottom pairing defensemen.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Holden and Merrill aren't good enough to be regular bottom pairing defensemen.

It's easier to shelter one pairing than two. Hell if I had my way and we found Theo a capable partner I would go Brannstrom-Engelland as the 3rd pair. Merrill isn't a concern barring injuries as he'll mainly be a healthy scratch.

I know I'd much prefer this: McNabb-Schmidt, Theo-Petro, Holden-Engelland to this: McNabb-Schmidt, Theo-Engelland, Coburn-Miller even considering the cost difference. To me that spot next to Theo was the single biggest hole on the team in the offseason and it still is now.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's easier to shelter one pairing than two. Hell if I had my way and we found Theo a capable partner I would go Brannstrom-Engelland as the 3rd pair. Merrill isn't a concern barring injuries as he'll mainly be a healthy scratch.

I know I'd much prefer this: McNabb-Schmidt, Theo-Petro, Holden-Engelland to this: McNabb-Schmidt, Theo-Engelland, Coburn-Miller even considering the cost difference. To me that spot next to Theo was the single biggest hole on the team in the offseason and it still is now.

The most I would do is 2019 1st, Miller & Elvenes plus a conditional pick

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The most I would do is 2019 1st, Miller & Elvenes plus a conditional pick

Yeah that's the issue is I wouldn't under any circumstances move any of the big 3 prospects or any prominent roster players outside of Miller. We likely don't have the pieces for a trade, but I sure hope between EK and Petro that spot is the primary focus for GMGM this summer in free agency.

Reactions: Knightmare

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
What about Miller, Brannstrom, Macek 2nd 3rd for Petro and Schmaltz? Give you another rh shot too.

I can't see any way Brannstrom or Glass move at all. The team is too new and prospects like that for us are too valuable at this point in the franchise.

I could possibly see McPhee having Miller, 1st and other draft picks, maybe Hague be available for a trade but I think that's all we've got.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Zero chance of trading Brannstrom or Glass.

I could see Hague and Miller being moved in a Pietrangelo deal.

The Vegas blue line is already really set for a while with McNabb- Schmidt and Theodore- Brannstrom. Whitecloud and Bischoff have the potential to step in and be bottom pair defenders.

Vegas has offensive defensemen; Brannstrom, Theodore, Schmidt. Pietrangelo could even help there and be a veteran presence on a blue line that would probably have Schmidt and McNabb as the veterans next season.

Such a trade would give us Pietrangelo, Schmidt and McNabb defensive defensemen. We would be dealing from a position of strength (offensive defenseman) and shoring up a weakness (defensive defenseman). The only issue would be signing Pietrangelo to a five or six year deal that was fair.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Miller, Hague, Maybe a right shot winger and a combination of pics

For

Petro
I think it could be done.

Vegas is NOT giving up Hague. :skeptic:
That would be a colossal blunder. I was fine with trading Suzuki because he was the 4th best prospect, and behind Glass and Tuch. Hague could be a future #1.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
That would be a colossal blunder. I was fine with trading Suzuki because he was the 4th best prospect, and behind Glass and Tuch. Hague could be a future #1.

He might not be thought of as highly by some because he went in the 2nd round. But just about every mock that I saw had him going in the 1st. I’m sure Vegas didn’t think he would’ve still been available.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He might not be thought of as highly by some because he went in the 2nd round. But just about every mock that I saw had him going in the 1st. I’m sure Vegas didn’t think he would’ve still been available.
You are going to have to trade something in order to get something. Petro is a number one right handed defenseman. He is an all situations guy. He had a slow start going this year due to becoming the father of triplets. So are you clearing your table out further? Who are you making available?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

Hague could be a future #1 in the way a lot of players could. He most likely won't be. His skating is improved but he has a not great chance of getting it where he needs to be to reach those heights. The game has changed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
You are going to have to trade something in order to get something. Petro is a number one right handed defenseman. He is an all situations guy. He had a slow start going this year due to becoming the father of triplets. So are you clearing your table out further? Who are you making available?

What did the Blues give up to get O'Reilly and Schenn again?

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

We'll give you a 5th round pick and a bowl of cocktail peanuts.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
O’Reilly was a top six and a top nine and 2 first round draft choices

No it was 2 roster players, (1 of whom refused to report) a prospect that's looking like a 3rd liner, one 2019 1st and a 2nd round pick in the distant future. For 5 years of O'Reilly.
And Buffalo fans were really disappointed because they wanted Kyrou and/or Thomas going back the other way.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
No it was 2 roster players, (1 of whom refused to report) a prospect that's looking like a 3rd liner, one 2019 1st and a 2nd round pick in the distant future. For 5 years of O'Reilly.
And Buffalo fans were really disappointed because they wanted Kyrou and/or Thomas going back the other way.

You’re right it’s one first round pick and a second. No one knew Berglund wasn’t going to report in year two. That is a fluke. Coming back from an injury, he was on a pace for His second 20 goal season in a row and just signed a cheap three-year deal. Sobotka is a jack of all trades third line center. Just like Hague, no one knew what Tage Thompson was going to be. He’s a big thin kid who can skate and shoot the puck, but doesn’t know where it’s going at this point.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad